100LL or ethanol/gasoline

housefly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
housefly
On occasion I drive my in-laws restored '52 MGTD.I was wondering if 100LL avavgas would be a better fuel to burn than the no-lead ethanol mix we're stuck with nowadays.I 'm thinking the 100LL would be less prone to condensation than ethanol mix and the leaded fuel better for the old, but rebuilt (15-20 years ago)engine.The TD doesn't get driven unless I drive it,so that means a tank of gas would last several months. Any informed opinions about this?

Attachments

• DSC_0132.JPG
    DSC_0132.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 20
100LL is more prone to condensation. Small amounts of water in mogas stay dissolved in the ethanol. I run 91 octane mogas with 5-10 percent ethanol in my airplane. I *never* see water when I drain the gascolator.

You might try using Stabil in the mogas to help with the ethanol and damaging effects therefore.

-Rich

On occasion I drive my in-laws restored '52 MGTD.I was wondering if 100LL avavgas would be a better fuel to burn than the no-lead ethanol mix we're stuck with nowadays.I 'm thinking the 100LL would be less prone to condensation than ethanol mix and the leaded fuel better for the old, but rebuilt (15-20 years ago)engine.The TD doesn't get driven unless I drive it,so that means a tank of gas would last several months. Any informed opinions about this?

Run a 3 to 2 mix and drain it when you store, then add pure 100LL just before you place it in storage.

100 LL has way more lead than what the engine was designed for. But it also wasn't designed for ethanol...

Ethanol will hold water in suspension - up to a point. Then it seperates out.

I'd probably pick the 100 LL if you can't find booze free gasoline (have you looked?)

100 LL has way more lead than what the engine was designed for. But it also wasn't designed for ethanol...

Ethanol will hold water in suspension - up to a point. Then it seperates out.

I'd probably pick the 100 LL if you can't find booze free gasoline (have you looked?)

Even Booze free auto gas will go bad in a few weeks.

I'm using last summer's auto gas in my lawn mower now.

good for you, but I have my weed eater in getting the old fuel and varnish washed out and getting it started for the year. just because I didn't run it dry last fall.

I hear those stories from time to time, and I just have to wonder what the heck you put in there. My scooter has 2 year old gas (10% ethanol blend, 3% synthetic 2-cycle oil) in it now... stuff's still good. The mower had last summer's gas in it, as did the weed whacker and edger. And the Harley, for that matter. Again, no problems with any of them, never have been. In all the years I've been running and maintaining engines of all shapes and sizes, I've never once used any sort of "stabilizer" or preservative.

ONE time I had to drain a fuel tank because the gas had gone bad and turned to varnish. That was in 2004, if I recall correctly. The tank had sat with gas in it since 1967.

good for you, but I have my weed eater in getting the old fuel and varnish washed out and getting it started for the year. just because I didn't run it dry last fall.
Wonder why you have these issues. Never had a problem with snow blowers, leaf blowers, or lawn mowers in I don't know how many years now. I buy gas for these things only once a year and it sits in the garage the whole time- one can for 2 cycle engines, the other for 4 cycle gas.

The Sta-bil works wonders. Seriously. I don't know exactly what's in the stuff, but it works. One of the old rednecks up here turned me on to it.

What happened was that I got a bad tank of gas from a low-volume station that everyone who's "from around here" knows to avoid. A little more than halfway through the tank of gas, the car wouldn't idle, and the computer started throwing multiple false codes. The old man told me to put four ounces of Sta-bil in the tank, fill it up the rest of the way with good gas, and drive the car around for 10 miles or so. Then put a regular dose of Sta-bil in with every fill-up after that.

Well, the old man was right. After ten miles, the engine was running fine, I cleared the codes, and they never came back. After a couple of tanks, I noticed a definite improvement in performance going up the mountains, as well as a roughly 10 percent improvement in fuel economy.

The old man says he stores all his equipment with full tanks of gas, and the Sta-bil keeps it fresh for as long as a year, as well as eliminates the problems caused by the ethanol.

The stuff is pretty expensive. The regular stuff, which is basically a fuel stabilizer / fuel system cleaner that provides decent protection against ethanol, is about $14.00/qt. at Tractor Supply (or about $20.00/qt. most other places around here). That's the one I've been using, and I'd rather drive my car without wheels than without Stabil at this point.

Sta-bil also has another formulation that's specifically designed for systems that seriously vomit on ethanol, like older tractors and such. It's a bit more expensive at about $30.00/qt. I haven't tried that one, but the farmers up here swear by it -- and believe me, these guys throw nickels around like manhole covers, so if they're paying $30.00/qt. for a fuel treatment, you know that it works.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

-Rich

Last edited:

Funny - I've been doing that for a couple decades, haven't had to clean out a carb/tank more than once. What kind of fuel are you putting in it? Any additives? Two-cycle?

I have always burned premium autogas with NO additives in my lawnmower/weedeater/chainsaw/etc etc engines as well as my boat - and the only time I've had an issue was with a garden tiller that sat for 3 years.

Last edited:

+1; exact same experience. ordinary, regular mogas.

I hear those stories from time to time, and I just have to wonder what the heck you put in there. My scooter has 2 year old gas (10% ethanol blend, 3% synthetic 2-cycle oil) in it now... stuff's still good. The mower had last summer's gas in it, as did the weed whacker and edger. And the Harley, for that matter. Again, no problems with any of them, never have been. In all the years I've been running and maintaining engines of all shapes and sizes, I've never once used any sort of "stabilizer" or preservative.

ONE time I had to drain a fuel tank because the gas had gone bad and turned to varnish. That was in 2004, if I recall correctly. The tank had sat with gas in it since 1967.

Wonder why you have these issues. Never had a problem with snow blowers, leaf blowers, or lawn mowers in I don't know how many years now. I buy gas for these things only once a year and it sits in the garage the whole time- one can for 2 cycle engines, the other for 4 cycle gas.

One thing I've learned in carbureted motorcycles is that the problem is ALMOST the carburator and it's ALMOST always because of fuel gumming it up that someone left in there too long. I have a suspicion that the jap motorcycles equipped with 4 carburetors (one for each cylinder) have much smaller passageways then something like a mower (which is anything but precise) and are more prone to being gummed up.

A friend of mine was telling me that he has never had a problem with his mower so he doesn't have a reason to worry with the motorcycle he just bought (early 90s CBR) that ran perfectly. I told him if he left it over the winter he would regret it. He believed me that spring when he had to pay to have the carbs re-built.

Having spent too much time in my younger years rebuilding gummed up carburetors I always put stabilized fuel in motors where the fuel will sit for months. After the last mow of the fall I make sure it has stabilized fuel, then I turn the fuel off and run it until it quits, then I top the tank off to the very very very top so there is no room for moisture. Come spring I do the same to the snow blower.

Last edited:

That is a beautiful TD. My Dad had one and really enjoyed it. We lived in South Florida and the TD had one recurring problem, that being that the gas tank would rust inside and then the rust would create havoc in the fuel system. He had to replace the tank several times. I would guess that condensation in the tank was a contributor. The car was driven daily for his 20 mile round-trip to work.

I use white gas with oil mix in my 2 cycle lawn equipment the kind of gas you use in your camping lantern and stove. The stuff never seems to go bad and no ethanol.

On occasion I drive my in-laws restored '52 MGTD.

That's a really nice TD. I had a 1961 MGA MK II, fixed head coupe for many years, until I started buying airplanes. :rolleyes:

Back