@ 1000 hrs - Need some Advice

And some veterans feel they are above even thanking the private sector for THEIR service, any country with money can make a huge military, it's the economy to pay for all those toys and care and feeding which is the tricky part.

:rolleyes: you make no sense at all James.

Difficult to fathom isn't it? He does this every few months. I think he enjoy getting people riled up.

Obviously... There's "something" behind his rant... Whereby something happened to him to carry that kind of negative response about veterans / military in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I hate to admit it, and maybe it's just the response tone that causes me to take it wrong, but.....

While I can't possibly fully express my appreciation to any veteran for their service, and I do not think we treat them as well as they deserve, I do think it's appropriate for them to appreciate the taxpayers that do provide for the benefits they do receive. It's NOT free money. Part of my pay is taken to provide those benefits. That should be acknowledged.

Though I might carp about my employer at times, and do not always think they do enough, I still appreciate the benefits they give me. I feel veterans should do the same with taxpayers, especially since we don't get a choice like a private sector employer does.

Well, I hate to admit it, and maybe it's just the response tone that causes me to take it wrong, but.....

While I can't possibly fully express my appreciation to any veteran for their service, and I do not think we treat them as well as they deserve, I do think it's appropriate for them to appreciate the taxpayers that do provide for the benefits they do receive. It's NOT free money. Part of my pay is taken to provide those benefits. That should be acknowledged.

Though I might carp about my employer at times, and do not always think they do enough, I still appreciate the benefits they give me. I feel veterans should do the same with taxpayers, especially since we don't get a choice like a private sector employer does.

The point I'm trying to make is that a veteran is a tax payer. They still pay taxes. They're still citizens. They are held to a hire standard by the articles of the UCMJ on top of the US Constitution, therefore making their disobedience suffer 10 times worse of penalties. There is no difference between what a veteran pays in taxes and what a us citizen pays.

And I don't think anywhere in this entire thread was there mention of veterans not respecting the taxpayer... Of which they're in the same Venn diagram.

So by your logic, regardless of the GI Bill. You're basically suggesting that a veteran should thank you for their choice to serve the United States?

That you would appreciate it if instead of humbling yourself to thank someone who gave up his / her life of a much more lenient "Constitution" for the "UCMJ" to put their lives, and choices at a far more scrutinized risk, that they would walk up to you and host marches in the streets of LA proclaiming how blessed is the non-serving taxpayer?

That a veteran should not be praised, but should be held in contempt as someone "stealing" from the American Citizen?

That the every day lives of the American No-serving Citizen and quality of life would be far greater if there were no veterans to defend the freedoms, values, jobs, education system, right to free speech?

That a veteran should be treated no differently than the guy illegal immigrant snorting coke on the street, or the investor on Wall Street and given no special consideration or treatment once they leave the military despite the fact that he / she gave up / put their lives and families on hold, the opportunities they may have had outside of the military, their education to a large extent?

That a veteran should perhaps pay MORE than their earned income / taxes of which they pay the same as any other American Citizen, in addition to putting "only" their lives on the line with the greater risk of casualty for either themselves or an attempt to save someone as... Yourself.... The average American citizen?

Forgetting that a solider is not only "a solider" but is also still a "tax paying citizen of the private sector...." Who has to still file taxes, pay taxes, fund the same wars, political endeavors, automobile advertisements, activist movements, jails, and that hooker on the street getting free Obama care....

It must be your birthday because YOU SIR.... Deserve a f***ing cake!

Perhaps you have regrets for never being a card carrying member of the DoD, or couldn't pass the weight / fitness requirements? Didn't pass the AFOQT / ASVAB? Got a discharge / Article 15?

I hear there's good anger management classes now, perhaps you should check into one. Otherwise, you're welcome to move to Canada.

I'd recommend using that GI bill for some reading comprehension classes.

Didn't say jack about one being better than the other, and there are folks at home who actually have more at risk jobs than many military ones, the simple fact is, both sides being appreciative of both sides is the correct answer.

And your whole thing about a solider being the same as a crack smoking illegal, what on earth are you babbling about, where did I say anything to that regard???

As far as protecting me, well I can't really say that our current occupations have done much there, by many estimates they have actually made the average citizen less safe, especially abroad.

And as for me not being in the military, I didn't join because there was no need, and I couldn't sell myself on believing that serving special interests by invading the Middle East [again] was heroic or required to protect our rights at home.

Again, because I know you have a hard time understanding the written word, I am stating that it's a team effort, without the non military driven economy, we wouldn't have a military and you would not have a GI bill, and on the flip side the country needs defense (though maybe not a massive invasion force), so asking one side to be thankful for the other side really isn't asking anything more than the exercise of rubbing some super basic economic and logical neurons together.

Obviously... There's "something" behind his rant... Whereby something happened to him to carry that kind of negative response about veterans / military in general.

Yeah.... I looked at my paycheck.
I looked at how much money is taken out of my paycheck, where it's spent and what we as a nation get for it. For the umpteenth time, military = needed, but ours has run amuck

Also "rants" tend not to involve pie graphs ;)

Last edited:
LT: Try not to let James get under your skin. He has repeatedly reminded all of us on the blue board of his disagreement/distain with anyone serving in the military - past, present, future. He will find the smallest point and poke, poke, poke insults at you to bait you into an argument. Just let it slide. He has his opinion; thankfully we live in a country that people can express their opinions - and even belittle people that help protect the country - and no one gets thrown in jail for that opinion. It's a beautiful thing. The US system is far from perfect; in my 17+ years (and counting) in the service I have seen so many things that should be curtailed or fully de-funded in the military. No mistake, big government of any type will naturally be wasteful. The thing is I've also been lucky enough to travel all over the world and while our system isn't perfect I haven't found anything that makes me want to move somewhere else.

Stand tall, be proud of your service and let the insults slide off your back. It's service, not a job; not everyone will thank you for it - that's (unfortunately) part of the gig. From me to you - thanks for your service.

Back to topic: Good luck with finishing up your ratings and moving to the twin world.

GI Bill is provided by the VA as a benefit. The VA is a government organization funded by taxpayer dollars. MGIB (Ch 30) is funded partially by the service member at $1,200 pay in but most are using Post 9/11 (Ch 33) benefits anyway. There's no pay in for Post 9/11. The now defunct AVOTEC program was also approved by Congress under a separate 19 million dollar program. So yes, my FW Instrument ticket was paid for by taxpayers. I don't feel the need to thank taxpayers any more than I would feel the need to thank a private employer for providing me college assistance programs. They're both benefits provided for doing the job I was hired to do. For the record, I don't care if I get thanked for my service either. I got hired with no experience, got paid good money, get benefits for life, and got to fly some cool aircraft. The experiences of 20 yrs of service were my thank you.

The school is required to be either a Part 141 school tied to higher education or a stand alone approved Part 141 school. The former almost has no cap, while the later is around $12,500 per year last time I looked. There's a application (VA FORM 22-1990) form you fill out and send in or do online. Once you're approved, the VA sends an approval letter in the mail. Take that to the school and enroll. You must pay for the class / classes out of your pocket, then the VA remburses you later. Be aware, that might take awhile and I've also read cases where the VA withdrew payment after the student had already signed. Lots of fraud, waste and abuse of the program going on as well. We deserve benefits, but 250K to get a basic COM / INST rating is ridiculous.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-me-adv-gibill-20150315-story.html

Last edited:
Ditto. Doesn't effective me one way or another if I get thanked or not. I did my service for what I believe. People are entitled to their own beliefs and can choose whether to serve or not. Don't care one way or another. But they don't deserve disrespect. You don't have to offer up praise, but at the same time the member doesn't deserve an added later of disdain.

I'm done. Doesn't deserve my attention anymore. Not angry, just don't feel it's worthy of time to argue anymore.

Didn't mean to start this little debate up, just don't call it "free money" it shows a lack of elementary understanding of economics and is quite disrespectful for those who didnt have a choice when it came to paying for it.

Didn't mean to start this little debate up, .

BS James, yes you did. Since I've been here I think this is the 3rd or 4th time you've done it. Fine if that's what ya wanna do, but don't say you didn't mean to.

Buy a Pilatus, hire me to fly it. I'll get ya where you need to go!

1) Buy a Pilatus....

Woot! Let me dream up some cash... Lol

2) Hire you to fly it

Well now that just takes the fun out of it all :)

Didn't mean to start this little debate up, just don't call it "free money" it shows a lack of elementary understanding of economics and is quite disrespectful for those who didnt have a choice when it came to paying for it.

Like to get offended much?
Need a binky?
In need of a safe space( with puppies)?

Thank you for educating us about the glorious world of economics and high finance!

A couple of thoughts from a late-comer to the discussion:

1- Didn't see KPWK mentioned. Any better than DPA? Another alternative would be to relocate the fam to Dekalb to take advantage of DKB. Or, move to Naperville and take advantage of 1C5 (which has a terrific on-site restaurant for those in the area).

2- Have you done a break-even analysis on this mission profile vs. a Netjets subscription?

3- As others have mentioned, the concurrent multiple hats you're proposing to wear on top of your pilot's hat is a key concern. Aviation history is littered with people who have not done this successfully. I hope you can give this some careful objective consideration.

A couple of thoughts from a late-comer to the discussion:

1- Didn't see KPWK mentioned. Any better than DPA? Another alternative would be to relocate the fam to Dekalb to take advantage of DKB. Or, move to Naperville and take advantage of 1C5 (which has a terrific on-site restaurant for those in the area).

I don't believe PWK has a 141 school any longer (which I believe is required to use my GI benefits). American flyers used to be there, and I think they're gone now. I'll have to check.

DKB is where I would station a plane when I get it. There's absolutely no way I'd relocate the fam there though, nor any point. DKB is only a 38 min drive from me. Naperville is same situation. We literally just moved to St Charles a year ago, and this is probably the last house we'll own at least here in Illinois. I would never move however, just for an airplane.

2- Have you done a break-even analysis on this mission profile vs. a Netjets subscription?

Navajo - fly myself, reasonable costs, not breaking the bank.

Net jets - share a corporate jet, pay for a crew, inability to fly yourself anywhere, way more costly.

3- As others have mentioned, the concurrent multiple hats you're proposing to wear on top of your pilot's hat is a key concern. Aviation history is littered with people who have not done this successfully. I hope you can give this some careful objective consideration.

In all likelihood I'm not saying I'm eliminating commercial flight from the picture. Just flying more frequently.

if I fly anywhere it's not usually on the same day of a meeting, I usually fly the day before and after well rested, and plenty of focus.

American Flyers at kdpa closed a couple years back.

I agree IAA has a 141 instrument program out of kdpa and I think is the only one offering a 141 program out of kdpa now.

The only other place I know about is JA Air out of KARR. They got 141 approval using the Cessna pilot center (king schools) system a few years ago. I did my private there.

Good luck in your search!

I'm going to resurrect this for a moment.....

I just realized I still have a cpl of years left on my ol 911 GI Bill. Technically i believe I still qualify for both the 911 (Expires in 2019.... I Think june of 2019) and then the ol' Montgomery GI Bill.....

That being the case, I'm "pretty" sure, everything they'll flip the bill for has to be Part 141, but.... it's free money. Unless I'm wrong?

However, I'm not certain there's any 141 schools around me anymore, except maybe Illinois Aviation Academy? I've visited there facilities before and don't care for them. Anyone else know?

I know a guy who is looking for partners in a Skylane at KARR.

Man, what is up with all the haters?

I know of a 421 RAM conversion that will be for sale nearby in the near future. A Navajo would fit the bill nicely as well.

I sent a PM, I don't want to muddy the waters in this thread as it has gone OT several times already. When did you do your Private at PWK? I used to work there years ago, and then DPA when it was still open.

Back