10 hours of hood time required for Commercial License?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
According to the regs, 20 hours of flight training are required for the CPL. 10 of those hours must be with a view limiting device (hood time).

My question is, if a person is already instrument rated and wants to obtain their Commercial Rating, would these 10 hours of hood time still be required?

According to the regs, 20 hours of flight training are required for the CPL. 10 of those hours must be with a view limiting device (hood time).

My question is, if a person is already instrument rated and wants to obtain their Commercial Rating, would these 10 hours of hood time still be required?

no

Yes, it is still required, but if the IR training was documented properly, it meets the requirement and no additional instrument training is required. The instructor giving the training must hold an instrument instructor rating, and must specifically log that the training "include[ed] attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems." Of course, if the instructor who did the IR training did his/her job properly, that will be done, and that's that.

I am looking at using Gleim for the written side of the commercial - any feedback would be great.

Jim

Where the heck do you see *any* requirements for a view-limiting device in the FARs? Inst. Time != Hood Time.

Where the heck do you see *any* requirements for a view-limiting device in the FARs?
In 61.129(a)(3) which governs the experience requirements for CP-Airplane:
(i) Ten hours of instrument training using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems. Five hours of the 10 hours required on instrument training must be in a single engine airplane;
Yes, it's silly not to allow actual instrument time, but that's the way it was written by the same person who wrote the silly rule saying you had to use a view-limiting device in ATD's (that requirement being deleted in the new ATD rules effective 1/20/15).

Inst. Time != Hood Time.
That is correct, but this particular regulation does not required 10 hours of "instrument time", it requires "Ten hours of instrument training using a view-limiting device" and that's a clear and simple requirement (even if it does not make sense to me).

A view limiting device does not hafta be a hood. Used to be more common to cover the windshield and other techniques.
Think ya could get away with using clouds to limit the view?

Hard to call a cloud "a device".

I agree that it's stupid to essentially say you've got to have ten hours of instruction in simulated instrument conditions on the topics listed, but that's how I read the reg. Fortunately, most instrument rated pilots get their training in this manner. Heck even in actual my CFII made me wear the hood often (it seemed to increase the workload) so I logged that time as simulated.

I am looking at using Gleim for the written side of the commercial - any feedback would be great.

Jim

I have used the gliem books for all my writtens,not only do you get questions and answers,but you get explanations. Also important material is included for study purposes.

Jim

Used Gleim for both PPL and Instrument, found it a good system. A bit dry at times but then so is the subject matter being covered.

A view limiting device does not hafta be a hood. Used to be more common to cover the windshield and other techniques.
Might have been common to cover the windshield a very long time ago in tandem trainers like the AT6/SNJ, T-38, etc., and there were some brief efforts to use contrasting blue glasses and orange windshield plastic sheeting, but it hasn't been a "common" method in the last 50 years.
Think ya could get away with using clouds to limit the view?
Only if you can find an instrument instructor willing to sign your logbook with it as "simulated instrument time".

A CPL without a IFR is worthless aside from AG.

I dunno...I paid for my instrument training with a Limited Commercial...just depends how many honest jobs are worthless, I guess.

Most intro jobs want a IFR, even to work for a Dz they want a IFR. YMMV

Back