1 SM or 3 SM

Sport Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot
I completed chapter 5 on the Sport Pilot Test Prep (Gleim) and ran into a question that puzzles me. Sport Pilots have to have 3 statue miles as a minimum in all airspace.

Page 90 / Question 8

QUESTION: During operations outside controlled airspace at altitudes of more than 1,200 AGL but less than 10,000 MSL, the minimum flight visabilty for day VFR is?

ANSWER: 1 statue mile in class G.

This is not correct. Is the Sport Pilot handbook referring to PP? If so, why am I studying material irrelevant to my certification?

First, the answer is correct.

During operations outside controlled airspace at altitudes of more than 1,200 AGL but less than 10,000 MSL, the minimum flight visibility for day VFR is 1 statute mile in Class G.

Notice, the question is asking about airspace and its requirements, not about sport pilot limitations.

That said, I don't know why it's there, but I can take a WAG: The FAA probably thinks anything dealing with the Part 91 visual rules of the road is fair game for any pilot, even if the privileges and limitations of your particular certificate level can't take advantage of it.

Got it. So it is a general question and not related to Sport Pilots.

Here lies the problem; the questions on the test do not say Sport Pilot, but they are referring to the Sport Pilot. It is hard to know if it is referring to PPL or SP.

If I read @midlifeflyer's response correctly, he's pointing you to the idea that airspace questions are not certificate specific. They are the airspace rules.

I can tell you that the seed limit below 10,000' are irrelevant to me. But I know the max is 250kts. My little plane only does 160kts. bummer.

If I read @midlifeflyer's response correctly, he's pointing you to the idea that airspace questions are not certificate specific. They are the airspace rules.

I can tell you that the seed limit below 10,000' are irrelevant to me. But I know the max is 250kts. My little plane only does 160kts. bummer.
Does the type of seed matter? I like to start tomatos early and peas are really fast.

Ok. So if the written test does not specifically say Sport Pilot, I will answer all airspace questions as general airspace, not using the restrictions placed on SP.

^^^^ This technique will not work.

Question: What minimum visibility and clearance from the clouds are required for VFR operations in class G airspace at 700 feet AGL or below at daylight hours?

Answer: 3 statue miles. Sport Pilots have a 3-mile statue mile visabilty requirement in ALL airspace. The other answers relate to other Pilot certifications.

As you can see, there was no mention of Sport Pilot in the question, but the answer is for Sport Pilot and not airspace in general.

It's entirely possible that the FAA's actual test does not have this issue. The issue might just be with Gliem's study test bank. Give them a call and let them figure it out.

Mea culpa - Just don't plant those whacky seeds!

I called Gleim and they said just choose the best answer. In other words, study the Sport Pilot test prep, and when taking the Sport Pilot test, answer the Private Pilot test questions.

For most things, yes. For helos in G below 1200 AGL, we have some exceptions. ;)

I know what the speed limits are. I'm asking why you claim that Bravo had a 250 knot speed limit, and that Ravioli was wrong. I don't think it's him with the memory problem.

He said “below 10,000”. There’s all sorts of places below 10,000 you can’t do 250.

He said “below 10,000”. There’s all sorts of places below 10,000 you can’t do 250.

That still doesn't answer the question. Ravioli said the speed limit was 250 below 10,000, and you said, "Ummm, that's in a Bravo" while accusing him of having a bad memory.

I asked why you said that and you said because it's 200 below Class B as if I didn't know that. You then linked me a tutorial on speed limits work, I guess because you feel a CFI needs one.

I asked again and you said you called Ravioli out because there are places where the speed limit is even less than 250. Except that would be taking his statement out of context and trying to make it seem like he was trying to enumerate all speed limits, which clearly was not the point of his post.

How many times are you going to change your argument in an effort to appear as though you didn't make a mistake?

That still doesn't answer the question. Ravioli said the speed limit was 250 below 10,000, and you said, "Ummm, that's in a Bravo" while accusing him of having a bad memory.

I asked why you said that and you said because it's 200 below Class B as if I didn't know that. You then linked me a tutorial on speed limits work, I guess because you feel a CFI needs one.

I asked again and you said you called Ravioli out because there are places where the speed limit is even less than 250. Except that would be taking his statement out of context and trying to make it seem like he was trying to enumerate all speed limits, which clearly was not the point of his post.

How many times are you going to change your argument in an effort to appear as though you didn't make a mistake?

You appear to have read more into the posts than was there. Try it this way:

“Hey Ravioli, one of the many speed limits below 10,000’ is 250. You forgot a few.”

Better?

Apologies if you thought there was something more weighty or important to my off-hand comment about Ravioli’s “forgetfulness” than that.

There was no intent other than a reminder that 250 isn’t the end all be all of speed limits below 10,000, since the OP is a student.

And Ravioli is a numbers guy for a living, so I knew that too, when making the comment. I suspected he knew all of the other speed limits below 10,000 just fine, and was just ribbing him.

I could have added “... and your airplane still won’t hit them, so no worries. ;) “ But that seemed to sound overly mean, considering we’re both slow airplane owners. Plus his is faster than mine. :)

Ravioli knows I don’t bite. He’d have asked if he didn’t understand my comment. Raviolis are usually delicious but I doubt he is. His screen name is #fakefood. Which is way worse than #fakenews by a long shot. :)

You appear to have read more into the posts than was there.

No, I didn't.

“Hey Ravioli, one of the many speed limits below 10,000’ is 250. You forgot a few.”

The above statement is not synonymous with what you wrote: "Ummm. That’s in a Bravo" in reply to Ravioli's statement that the speed limit below 10,000' was 250 knots, implying that was incorrect.

Zero of the speed limits that he "forgot" are in Class Bravo. Therefore, the only incorrect post in this thread is yours.

Last edited:
I could have added “... and your airplane still won’t hit them, so no worries. ;) “ But that seemed to sound overly mean, considering we’re both slow airplane owners. Plus his is faster than mine. :)

But yours carries much more. I mean - has a higher useful load.

Raviolis are usually delicious but I doubt he is.

Autumn must think I'm delicious. She licks me all the time. [now now Card, I'm talking about my doggie]

@dmspilot - thank you for defense of the accuracy of my initial statement!

The above statement is not synonymous with what you wrote: "Ummm. That’s in a Bravo" in reply to Ravioli's statement that the speed limit below 10,000' was 250 knots, implying that was incorrect.

Zero of the speed limits that he "forgot" are in Class Bravo. Therefore, the only incorrect post in this thread is yours.

You’re correct. It was a quick post while I was doing other things, and didn’t get the point across correctly. It would have had to have been a long list or phrased like my updated version, which is how it was intended.

@dmspilot - thank you for defense of the accuracy of my initial statement!

I think maybe @dmspilot wants to lick you, too. LOL. ;)

Back