1 hour to empty - crosswind landing

Gosh, I thought the "mob" clearly pointed out that the Rose isn't required by anything in the chart legend.

(And every single VOR could be depicted without one on the next chart update if the charting folks felt like it.)

It's there for convenience, not a required item on the chart.

It's interesting to see your take on the replies, though.

;)

I think it was post two or three where it was mentioned they're not required if no airway is present. That's an answer. Doesn't answer why and that's why I later posted 'it's still not clear why'.

Until a week ago or so I thought all VORs had the rose maybe save terminal. It was comical the exchange though as I abbreviated in your quote.

According to this, it's 12 knots for a C-152.

No, it is not.

The page you displayed showed a maximum demonstrated crosswind. This is not a limitation. It's a demonstrated value. No limitation is provided for that aircraft with respect to a maximum crosswind value, and the capabilities are much more.

That number simply represents the maximum value demonstrated during certification, not a limitation for the aircraft or a representation of it's capabilities.

Some folks are not comfortable with 60d banks, falling leaf stalls, 25+ kt crosswinds, ILS to minimums in the soup, and any number of other things.

Someone not comfortable with a 60 degree bank shouldn't be allowed private pilot privileges.

There's no such thing as a "falling leaf stall." If one isn't capable of stalling and recovering the aircraft, one ought not be able to solo.

If one can't fly an ILS approach to minimums, one has no business holding an instrument rating.

As for "other things," you'll need to be more specific.

Last edited:
You need to use google more.

I don't use google.

"Falling leaf stall" is nothing more than a stall which is maintained, in which one varies the stall with rudder input. It's nothing more than holding the airplane in the stall. Again, if a private pilot can't do this, then the private pilot ought not be a private pilot.

I don't use google.

"Falling leaf stall" is nothing more than a stall which is maintained, in which one varies the stall with rudder input. It's nothing more than holding the airplane in the stall. Again, if a private pilot can't do this, then the private pilot ought not be a private pilot.

Funny though how it's not part of any syllabus until you get to the CFI, where it's often part of the spin training.

It's a useful teaching manuever, but not something I'd expect a private pilot to demonstrate.

It's not a real maneuver. It's simply an extended stall.

Even the term is a slang term.

Holding the stick back and playing with the rudder isn't really an advanced maneuver.

No, it is not.

The page you displayed showed a maximum demonstrated crosswind. This is not a limitation. It's a demonstrated value. No limitation is provided for that aircraft with respect to a maximum crosswind value, and the capabilities are much more.

That number simply represents the maximum value demonstrated during certification, not a limitation for the aircraft or a representation of it's capabilities.
Yes, I know that and I thought that's what Henning was referring to since I mentioned it in post #156.

Where does it say you need to demonstrate a crosswind landing up to the max demonstrated crosswind component in the Private Pilot PTS?

That's why I asked what plane he was flying, and that is all I asked. What plane would one be in where 15 kts is Max?:dunno:

Last edited:
Back