1 dead cat

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
So after almost 19 years, my cat Portia cashed it in last night. The kids are sad, but it was time...almost overdue. Guess I won't be participating in the cat jokes for a couple of weeks...

:(

Ken Ibold said:
So after almost 19 years, my cat Portia cashed it in last night. The kids are sad, but it was time...almost overdue. Guess I won't be participating in the cat jokes for a couple of weeks...

:(
19?!?

Ken;

I had a cat for 18 years that was enjoyed by all in the family, which includes the dog. She was very much missed. Interesting the dog and the cat were "buddies" for over 10 years and the dog was never the same after the cat died. It will take time. Sorry for your loss.

John

Sorry for your loss Ken. :( We have 2 dogs and 1 cat, and they are very much loved members of our family. Even with all the cat humor we still love our kitty.

We had 2 brothers who were with us for nearly 19 and nearly 20 years until year before last and last year. They had completely different personalities, which kind of complimented each other - one was a spitfire, the other a ragdoll. They shared the bed nightly with us, and we loved them very much, in spite of their demanding a full 1/3 of a double sized bed. They were with us longer than our two children, and we miss them very much.

You'll have a soft spot in your heart for your companion forever.

Tyler

bbchien said:
Bruce I know cats in their mid 30's - the wonders of modern health care and nutrition! Ken, any pictures of Portia? We offer our condolences.

Sorry for your loss, Ken.

Jann's late dad had discovered that "Binky" had quietly left his bed while he slept and gone into the living room to pass on.

Last edited:
wow, i've never had a cat live more than 1/6th of that time. (maybe i shouldn't own cats?) it must have been an indoor cat? she had a full life.

sorry.

I had a cat once that lived to be almost 20. The vet said that was pretty rare for an all-white cat. Seems they develop skin cancer somewhat like humans do. This cat lived outdoors unless the temps were below freezing.

Ken,

My condolences. I love cats (and dogs, and cat jokes and dog jokes) and I know that one way or another, they get under your skin. When I was a kid we found a cat in our neighbor's pasture, brought her home, cleaned her up, fed her and named her Louise, and she turned into a champion mouser-rabbiter-groundhogger -- that old girl would take on anything, even baby deer. As she aged, her teeth started to fall out until all that was left was one of her lower teeth, which snagged her upper lip when she closed her mouth, so we took to calling her Fang. She made it to 19 years as well, and for months after she died my mother would, from time to time, open the door at night and call for her to come in.
Are you going to get another one?
Elizabeth H

Pets are family members.

At 19, I'm sure Portia had a full life.

Condolences Ken....

It's always a heartache when you lose a close friend or family member, which is what a pet such as this is (particularly with that much history together).

In my life I've been lucky to have some long lived cats as well, from 13 to 18 years, and have many fond memories of them. I'm sure you have many as well. Keep them close, it will help to ease the pain.

Re: Condolences Ken....

T Bone said:
It's always a heartache when you lose a close friend or family member, which is what a pet such as this is (particularly with that much history together).

In my life I've been lucky to have some long lived cats as well, from 13 to 18 years, and have many fond memories of them. I'm sure you have many as well. Keep them close, it will help to ease the pain.
We've got three dogs - the oldest of whom is Daddy's girl, for sure - I can't hardly stand to even think about when it's their time. I'm gonna be a wreck, without doubt.

Sorry you lost her, but glad you had her for so long...

Ken, I know what you're going through. We lost one of our 17 year old cats this summer. It is tough. He's still with us in a way. He so thoroughly terrorized our daughter's Golden Retriever that she's no threat to any other cat in the family.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. We buried her in the backyard with a rolled up ball of foil and a length of ribbon (her two favorite toys) and a can of food. Two of the kids are studying ancient egypt right now, so it seemed appropriate. I did not, however, undertake any mummification efforts.

The kids taking it all right, the dog is doing OK, the grownups are doing OK. Life goes on ...

gibbons said:
Well, not for your cat.
Of course life goes on. Don't you know cats have nine lives?? :yes:

Very sorry about the kitty, Ken. I'm a cat person (obviously).

I think this is the worst part about having pets, you almost always outlive them. Fortunately the balance leans way towards the upsides. Having been through the loss of several cats and dogs, I'm still surprised at how much it hurts. My heart goes out to you and your family. Given that she made it to 19 speaks of a good life though, eh?

lancefisher said:
I think this is the worst part about having pets, you almost always outlive them.

Hard for us; good for them. I prefer it this way.

gibbons said:
Oh Dave, what do you know about animals anyway?

a whole lot more than I had really planned:
(make sure you click on him to see what I mean)

Ken Ibold said:
The kids taking it all right

Funny how that works. I remember when I was a kid and the family dog died, or my cat died, it wasn't all that big of a deal to me. Yeah, I missed them, but it didn't hurt much.

Now, my dog is getting pretty old, and I know it's going to be much more painful now than it was then.

Back