1.3 billion Powerball next Wednesday

Hypocrisy is great, isn't it? There are people (probably on this board also) who claim that lottery jackpots are for fools and can't be won. Didn't some people here call it a tax for the stupid and poor? And then they're in line for tickets just because it's 1.5 billion.

And of course, since they didn't win, they're back to their rhetoric of how stupid and silly it is the next day after the drawing.

Pick a side and stick to it.

Maybe they're admitting that they're stupid and foolish?

The stupidity and foolishness increases with the amount you spend on lottery tickets compared to the amount of money you have for discretionary expenses.

Hypocrisy is great, isn't it? There are people (probably on this board also) who claim that lottery jackpots are for fools and can't be won. Didn't some people here call it a tax for the stupid and poor? And then they're in line for tickets just because it's 1.5 billion.

And of course, since they didn't win, they're back to their rhetoric of how stupid and silly it is the next day after the drawing.

Pick a side and stick to it.

Those two things are necessarily intellectually exclusive.

The stupidity and foolishness increases with the amount you spend on lottery tickets compared to the amount of money you have for discretionary expenses.

This. Or as a friend said one time when I asked why he spent $50 on something stupid, "I'd pay $100 to see two monkey's ****. " His way of saying he could afford it and it was his decision.

(He's a little weird. Grew up in NY. Not one to mince words, which is why we get along. His first time shooting a handgun in the woods for no reason at all was interesting, "THIS is what all the big deal is about!?")

Last edited:
As long as they don't forget to claim it as gambling losses on their taxes... wouldn't want to miss any legitimate deductions at their income level.

:)

If folks means of gambling is lottery...very few people would be able to write off their losses...since you'd have to win more then you lost..which just isn't how the lottery works.

If folks means of gambling is lottery...very few people would be able to write off their losses...since you'd have to win more then you lost..which just isn't how the lottery works.

You missed the smiley face.

Kinda like the folks who said the Powerball could be divvied up amongst everyone and we'd all get $4M each. LOL.

Technically I'm still up about $100 at the craps table this year. Don't think I'll annoy the accountant with the Powerball tickets in the annual tax envelope though. Haha.

Last edited:
Back