1.3 billion Powerball next Wednesday

A half competent PI maybe, but not every Tom, Dick, and Harry weirdo could find you. The people who are going to most likely try to get money from you with some sob story or crazy business venture, are probably not going to hire a PI to find you. I would do just that, make myself a new identity. I don't think that it would be that hard to do.

You are probably right. The proper combination of trusts and LLCs could make it look like you had no assets on paper.

I think I will pick "Bruce Wayne" as my new name. :D

Another country, no. Thinking more of the gulf side of Florida, if I go south. Or just buy a few hundred acres somewhere and not have to worry about nosey neighbors.

There are ALWAYS nosy neighbors. Eventually you are going to want to go into town for something. And with all that money you will probably be driving nice cars around. You can drive a ratty pickup into town, but somebody will see your nice stuff unless you keep it all on your property.

What good is hundreds of millions of dollars if you can't leave your enclave for fear of somebody noticing you are rich? :(

There are ALWAYS nosy neighbors. Eventually you are going to want to go into town for something. And with all that money you will probably be driving nice cars around. You can drive a ratty pickup into town, but somebody will see your nice stuff unless you keep it all on your property.

What good is hundreds of millions of dollars if you can't leave your enclave for fear of somebody noticing you are rich? :(

Brand new F-150 is going to be my nice car. That's why the name change. I can tell people I made my millions with the stock market. Most people won't care if I did that. No need to tell them I won the lottery, and I'm betting on most people being too lazy to try to find out.

Brand new F-150 is going to be my nice car. That's why the name change. I can tell people I made my millions with the stock market. Most people won't care if I did that. No need to tell them I won the lottery, and I'm betting on most people being too lazy to try to find out.

Probably true.

With that much dough I'd probably want an exotic car or two, those things are *impossible* to hide. I'd definitely have an F-150 or similar for "normal" operations.

A cover story is definitely a must. It would be fun just coming up with some detailed and convincing lies. You'd probably have to leave all your old friends behind, that part would be sad.

Probably true.

With that much dough I'd probably want an exotic car or two, those things are *impossible* to hide. I'd definitely have an F-150 or similar for "normal" operations.

A cover story is definitely a must. It would be fun just coming up with some detailed and convincing lies. You'd probably have to leave all your old friends behind, that part would be sad.

I'm not a big car guy. Maybe a classic Mustang or something like that. A new truck and a new Mooney would make me happy.

....A cover story is definitely a must. It would be fun just coming up with some detailed and convincing lies....

sounds like a typical friday/saturday night trying to get me a lil somthin somethin

I wonder who that kind of money would turn me into. I'm pretty conservative about spending money, especially if there is no value in return. I also don't tend to accumulate a lot of stuff. I am more into the utility of things. I don't have much time for anything that has no purpose. I wonder if that would change. I wonder if I would just start buying things that I didn't need or want, just because I could. I would maybe buy an airplane, but I would have to hire a pilot as well. Actually, it would be easier just to charter a plane. I would like to have a big boat, but then I would have to worry about my big boat all the time, and I'm not sure that would be worth it. Probably easier to charter a boat as well.

But, I've never had to stand in a line of more than one or two to buy a lottery ticket. I see them on the news though, people lined up on the street. I bought mine yesterday, and no one was in line. But today I walked to the bank, and then past the Super Max, which is where I bought mine yesterday, and there was a line out the door.

Last edited:
Talk about a voluntary tax on stupidity, where winning means loosing. Have at it guys. If one of you wins I promise not to hit you up for cash.

Not sure why you all are discussing this? I already have the winning ticket.

I'd go skiing:
scrooge-mcduck-e1363347903905-640x362.jpeg

There was a forum member (maybe on another forum, I can't remember), an attorney who did some work with lottery winners.

I'm really trying to remember his advice, but it did make a lot of sense. Spend some on toys to satisfy your "I want to get something nice" urge. Set some up so you can have enough to live on forever. Then treat the rest as a business and set yourself up as CEO. When people come begging, and they will, you tell them to submit their request and you and the rest of the directors (your family) will have quarterly meetings to vote on where and how much to contribute.

There is an ESPN episode of their 30 for 30 series called "Broke" that covers professional athletes that have gone from broke-to-rich-to-broke and how easily it happened. It's one of the better shows they've done.

There is an ESPN episode of their 30 for 30 series called "Broke" that covers professional athletes that have gone from broke-to-rich-to-broke and how easily it happened. It's one of the better shows they've done.

Reader's Digest has the condensed version for my life. "From Broke to Broke".

Reader's Digest has the condensed version for my life. "From Broke to Broke".

And I'm currently writing my own version "From Broke to Drunk to Broke and Drunk". Unfortunately I keep forgetting where I left it.

Talk about a voluntary tax on stupidity, where winning means loosing. Have at it guys. If one of you wins I promise not to hit you up for cash.

The big problem is that having a metric crapton of money will not change how you *relate* to money. All more money does is magnify your tendencies.

If you are a spendthrift, you will be an EPIC waster of money.

If you are a miser, your need for control and paranoia over your money will be equally EPIC.

If you are pretty smart and balanced with money, AND make a concerted effort to remain so, you can do well.

The problem in that case is not that your relationship with money gets warped, it's that all your interpersonal relationships get warped by money because everybody else's money dysfunctions come out on display too.

Several years ago I heard a radio interview with a guy who won $100 mil, and was doing very well with it. He said the hardest lesson for him to learn, and one that was very difficult for him, was that he needed to make all new friends.

His old friends saw him as a regular guy with this big windfall that they wanted to be part of, and felt somewhat entitled to since they "knew him when he was nobody."

When he detached from those old friends and made new ones, the new friends just always knew him as a "really rich guy" and they more or less left him alone. Plus, a lot of the new friends were rich themselves so that helped also.

Unless me or someone if my family wins (fingers crossed), I want to see a reality show on the daily life of the winner(s). (yes, totally hypocritical). It would be interesting to see how their lives change and what they do with all that money. I'm sure it would be a huge hit for a network as well.

Unless me or someone if my family wins (fingers crossed), I want to see a reality show on the daily life of the winner(s). (yes, totally hypocritical). It would be interesting to see how their lives change and what they do with all that money. I'm sure it would be a huge hit for a network as well.

What incentive would they winner have to be on such a show? "We'll pay you a lot of money" kind of has no effect at that point.

Though the world is full of narcissists that want nothing more than to be famous, I suppose. I'm sure many of them play Powerball.

I wonder who that kind of money would turn me into. I'm pretty conservative about spending money, especially if there is no value in return.
I agree. Although I would like to have a nicer house (or two) and maybe a nicer plane, but not even sure about that. I do like my Bonanza, and I like my new Canyon pickup and my wife likes her 2011 BMW.

Other than spending more on entertainment, I would probably do like someone else said; give most of it away.

Our county, like many others, has a huge homeless problem. We have homeless kids that live in their car with one parent. We have way too many homeless veterans with all sorts of physical and mental problems.

We have lots of other people with staggering problems that are not of their own making.

I have relatives that have been struggling since the recession started. I have a brother with 4 sons that would be homeless due to circumstances beyond his control if our family wasn't helping him out.

I figure that half a Billion dollars would allow me to live comfortably, AND be able to help a lot of other people. That would make me feel really good.

The most regressive tax in the country.

And lower income people will cash in their welfare, food stamps and sell their Obamaphones for funds to buy lottery tickets....

The only regression is to the working class who ACTUALLY pay taxes...:mad2::mad2:

Never bought one, don't even know how it works or how to buy one, whole thing seems silly to me. Giving a ridiculous amount of money to some random person that knows nothing about money won't result in anything but a sad end.

Never bought one, don't even know how it works or how to buy one, whole thing seems silly to me. Giving a ridiculous amount of money to some random person that knows nothing about money won't result in anything but a sad end.

Sad, or just some of the best entertainment EVER?! LOL. :)

If you live in California, Florida or Tennessee, check your tickets.

I don't live in either of those places, so I'll be calling my boss to get my job back I guess. :p

I'm suing the lottery for number discrimination.

Intelligent people know that playing the lottery gives them an opportunity to fantasize for a bit and remove themselves from their current financial woes if only in a loser's dream. My office came up with $290 (145 tickets) I think we each get 50 cents from our $10 donation. The lottery again did what it does best...

All that's left now is to cancel the limo reservation and get back to work...LOL...

I laughed at a story a couple days ago. A group of restaurant workers bought some tickets for the Saturday drawing, back when it was still $700M or something. They checked the numbers on the lottery website Saturday night and they matched. There was much celebrating, including one guy who took off his apron and tossed in his boss's face while telling him he quit. Then they realized the numbers on the website hadn't been updated - they were still showing the numbers from the previous drawing, they just happened to match.

I don't live in either of those places, so I'll be calling my boss to get my job back I guess. :p

You didn't tell him what you thought of him and his job did you?

I saw a headline this morning where some idiot spent all her money, and all the money she could borrow, on tickets. Yesterday she put up a gofundme page to reimburse her.

I saw a headline this morning where some idiot spent all her money, and all the money she could borrow, on tickets. Yesterday she put up a gofundme page to reimburse her.

Is there a link so I can go there and make fun of her?

Don't have to live there to buy a ticket. In Alabama they go into Ga, Tn, or Fl to purchase them. Just thought you'd like to know. :D

Hypocrisy is great, isn't it? There are people (probably on this board also) who claim that lottery jackpots are for fools and can't be won. Didn't some people here call it a tax for the stupid and poor? And then they're in line for tickets just because it's 1.5 billion.

And of course, since they didn't win, they're back to their rhetoric of how stupid and silly it is the next day after the drawing.

Pick a side and stick to it.

Back