0-60 - The Internet Version

sferguson524

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FormerSocalFlyer
Shamelessly ripping off @denverpilot here. What's everyone getting for Internet speeds at home? This is mine from here in vegas on Cox.
upload_2018-4-5_11-20-17.png

I’m going to lose this one too. Hahahah.

0c8dad983594db2b5a867385c6126063.jpg

Just ran mine. This is Fiber Optic.
D12D145C-EB3A-410D-9861-252184D2416B.jpeg

this is wireless if I plug in it's over twice these speeds. the other odd thing is, usually upload is faster than download, today it's real slow.

upload_2018-4-5_14-36-13.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 3.00.39 PM.png
But this is work. Home, not so much.

One of my co-workers can get 2G/2G symmetric. Even he knows there is no point. There’s plenty of websites that can’t or won’t even feed that fast. He pays for what @Everskyward has instead, 1G/1G symmetric.
I don't think we'll see that here.. Cox kinda has the monopoly.. Centurylink has fiber, but in select communities here.

Yeah it kinda doesn’t matter at those speeds. We run an entire office full of people on 100M symmetric and haven’t had any complaints about internet speeds. But we’re upping it to 1G in a week or so just because we have both circuits active now.

Most households without kids will need about 15M to stream HD video and do some other stuff at the same time and they’ll never notice much difference between 15M and 100M unless they’re downloading large things. And the households running 1G will find that a lot of websites don’t feed any faster than 100M per client anyway.

And of course buried in the contract for the 1G/1G is a clause that if you actually ran it at 1G/1G all month, they’d toss you as a customer anyway. Which is what makes our office 1G/1G pipe significantly more money than a residential one. No caps.

Yeah, cox has us all on 1T caps.. can go "unlimited" for $50/more a month.. have only come close to the cap once... Had the 10 year old home for Christmas break all day, and he streamed netflix 10 hours a day.. me working from home full time keeps me ~600 GB/mo with normal netflix usage

Beautiful 12 down, 1 up (on a good day) DSL at home. Telco claims that’s the fastest it’ll go due to the length of our copper circuit. Fiber in the ground about 2000’ away, but they won’t light it for us. I need the day job (10G + 1G symmetric, multi-homed) to be able to upload/download content for my side gig.

Sonic, eh? How much do they charge you? Any caps?
It's about $63/month, but about to go up $10 since there was a year discount. I think if I buy my own modem it goes back to the $63/month. It also includes a phone line, even if you don't need it. No caps that I know of.

Edit: I looked it up and no caps.

They only have fiber in certain places. I'm lucky that it covers my neighborhood and my street.

This is about as as good as it gets in Sparrow Fart:

speedtest.jpg

Not bad for the boonies. It's also more than what I'm provisioned for unless they bumped everyone up again when I wasn't looking. They've done that several times since I've lived here, usually to soften the blow when they raise the television part of the bill to cover carriage cost increases.

Rich

It's about $63/month, but about to go up $10 since there was a year discount. I think if I buy my own modem it goes back to the $63/month. It also includes a phone line, even if you don't need it. No caps that I know of.

Edit: I looked it up and no caps.

Want. So sooooooo want!

Looks like they toss in Nomorobo for free too.

And a FAX line (snicker).

Comcast is 'giving' me 180 down, 5.6 up. I think they don't want anyone running any type of server on a home system. Business accounts can get symmetrical service.

25 down and 3 up, though the VPN costs me about 1/2mb on average. And that "exxxxxtream" speed costs me $60mo

The sacrifices we make to live in the country.

AT&T fiber, iPhone 7+, with my wife watching Netflix on the wired TV.

6a51106a22cf8016ad5ebf85c783d38a.jpg

I guess the numbers are ok for $90/month.

I’ll tell you as soon as my AOL dial-up connection connects...

This is Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) via my own cable modem and thru my Apple AirPort Extreme.

C0D50D1E-12EB-46F8-9398-692F7EC1AA94.jpeg

Back