“Firsts” with your Gaston’s experience.

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
What “firsts” did y’all have with your trip to Gaston’s or with your time spent there?

This was my first experience flying in and getting to fly a Bellanca Viking, a Cessna 195, and a Cheetah. I would like one of each (despite the fact that two of them are low wing airplanes :eek: ).

This was the first time I've flown in the back of my Citabria with a pilot other than Tom sitting in front and doing all the flying. I wasn’t even nervous or scared! (Ken instills confidence. :) ) I tried really hard not to touch anything, but I couldn’t help it a few times. Sorry Ken. At least I didn’t have to use the “beatin’ stick”. ;)

This was the first time I observed a lesson in formation flying while hearing the commentaries. Cool! Now I want to learn more about it. :yes:

How about you guys?

Diana said:
What “firsts” did y’all have with your trip to Gaston’s or with your time spent there?

How about you guys?

Like you, this was my first opportunity to fly a Cessna 195 (thanks again Greg), and AFaIK I've never flown the Baron between trees so close together before. The rest of the stuff like forgetting some of my belongings in your cabin (thanks again for the lodging) and enjoying the company of a bunch of aviators was a (pleasant) repeat.

First grass landing in a powered plane (MANY glider landings on grass), although a lousy one. First time at a fishing resort.

First time my wife went on a trip and spent all of her time in the room working. Oh wait, no it wasn't. :-(

That was my first time on grass and it was great. Strange not hearing the tires chirp when they touch down. First time dropping the fuel tube in the tank, took 45 minutes to fish it out.:dunno:
First time around an Extra 300, that is a must fly before I die. :yes:
And worst of all, first time flying in haze so thick you could almost cut it with a knife.

First time flying in a Grumman
First time flying in close formation (REAL CLOSE!)
First time touching my feet to the ground in Arkansas

• First flyin
  • First time I met anyone from this board
  • First long(er) XC solo
  • First time flying in truly crappy weather
  • First time flying with Tom in Diana's Citabria (wonderful little plane!)
  • First time flying in an Extra (Damn you, Chip, I WANT one)
  • First time flying in a Tiger (departing and landing at a grass strip in high DA conditions, no less. A fine travelling machine, thanks, Ron.)
  • This will NOT be my last time for many of the above :D
I still plan to write more detailed stories when I get a round tuit.

Ken Ibold said:
First time my wife went on a trip and spent all of her time in the room working. Oh wait, no it wasn't. :-(

Ken, you are cracking me up!

That is what I always seem to do, work while on vacation.

So, for me, it's the first vacation (in a very long time) when I *didn't* do any work, at all.

You can make jokes about lawyers, but we usually do work hard. But it's ok, because of all the appreciation and admiration we garner by so doing:rolleyes:.

First Time being that close to trees on final!
First time to see a 190(95), it was awesome!
First time to fly anywhere and eat!
Longest flight my girlfriend has ever been with me on!
First time not bouncing my landing when people are watching!! haha
Farthest i have flown in the C-182!!
First time seeing Chips extra all put together!!
First but not last time i flew on my birthday!
First time clearing trees on take-off like that!

I am sure there are plenty more, but i can't think of them right now!!

:yes: :yes: :yes: I think it is the first time I have ever won an award for doing something I love to do.
The first time to meet a bunch of people that talk my language.
The first time to have my landing graded at a fly-in.
The first time to fly past St. Louis and not be able to see it.
The first time to have my son and his wife fly to a fly-in with me.

First time being in the company of so many beautiful women pilots :)

First time flying a Cessna 195. :)
First time in Arkansas and Missouri.
First time getting picked up at an airport by someone in an airplane.
First time I ever picked potatoes (that was at Diana's).
First time washing an airplane (also at Diana's).
First time doing TO/LGs at 08M0 and LLU.
First boiled peanuts.

Michael said:
First time being in the company of so many beautiful women pilots :)

The Most Charming Comment Award goes to Michael Driggs. :yes:

Toby said:
First time getting picked up at an airport by someone in an airplane.
First time I ever picked potatoes (that was at Diana's).
First time washing an airplane (also at Diana's).
First time doing TO/LGs at 08M0 and LLU.
Toby, you might ask Chip, but I believe that you dig potatoes instead of pick them. :)

wow....so many firsts for me:

First Real Fly-In
First time flying over 200 miles non stop
First time meeting someone on the internet
First time paying for fuel
First time seeing a grass strip
First time staying at a fishing resort
First time not being the youngest person amongst pilots

First time meeting Carol.
First time meeting Diana.
First time meeting Ron.
First time meeting Chip....

Well, that could take forever...first time meeting everyone!

Diana said:
This was the first time I observed a lesson in formation flying while hearing the commentaries. Cool! Now I want to learn more about it.

Diana,

You may be interested in getting this set of videos and books... they are required reading for the FFA waiver card (which allows you to fly formation at airshows).

http://www.pilotsbooks.com/formation_flight_manual.htm

Diana said:
Toby, you might ask Chip, but I believe that you dig potatoes instead of pick them. :)
Haha! Well, they were right near the surface, so I sort of picked them. I also stuck the pitchfork through a few -- how do you avoid doing that?

Never mind, I'll just ask Chip. :rolleyes:

First time to be with soooo many great people and their airplanes. What a group of interesting, dynamic, fun folks to hang out with!

First time to fly in and fly a 195. Thank you so much, Greg Brockelman! Diana and I both commented that we were all smiling and having so much fun during that flight. Hope to see you and that beautiful plane again in Kansas.

Here's a few photos

Last edited by a moderator:
Diana said:

Oh boy, where to start? It's been a GREAT trip (so far - I decided to continue south to EFD, doubling the length of my trip, to visit my sister and a friend.) :goofy:

1) First time flying >400nm from home.
2) First time flying >4 hours at once. (4.3 MSN-3M0, 4.2 BPK-EFD)
3) First time meeting a lot of new folks: Bruce's wife Sue, Steve See and family, Lance Flynn and his wife, Chip, Spike, Diana, Carol, Greg, Dave, Bill J, Bill S, Ron, and everyone else. What a great group of people! :yes:
4) First time flyng above 10,000 feet. (I went to 12,500 on the way both in and out of Gaston's.)
5) First time talking to Kansas City Center, Fort Worth Center, and Houston Center. (also Shreveport Approach and Houston Approach)
6) First time in Class B airspace. (I've now been cleared into the Houston class B 3 times... First on my way into Ellington, then twice yesterday when I took a friend to Galveston - We went the long way, flying down I-10 past downtown to Sugarland and then down highway 6, once during the day, once at night. Very cool.)
7) First time seeing F-16's at less than a mile while not in the pattern. :hairraise: (And no, they weren't after me.)
8) First time seeing an OAT below freezing while "in" Texas! LOL
9) First time into 3M0, BPK, EFD, and GLS. This list will be increased before I'm home!
10) First time flying over MO, AR, LA, and TX.
11) First time giving a pirep that wasn't asked for or required.
12) First time flying a twin from the left seat, first multi time in my logbook, and first engine cut on a multi - Thanks a million, Bruce! :yes:
13) First time attempting to use my own tie-downs. Not very easy to get them in the dry ground. :no: Thanks to Dave T for helping with this!
14) First time seeing: A brand-new Comanche (Well, it looked brand-new anyway - Nice bird Carol!), a Viking, a 195, and a polished Skylane.
15) First time seeing an Extra do a low pass all of 100 feet away from me, if that. Nice bird, Chip! I want a ride next year! :yes:
16) First time seeing a full-size rainbow from the air. Very cool.
17) First time seeing a 737 fly 1,000 feet over me in the opposite direction. (At night in Houston) Close enough to see the paint job (Southwest) and almost wave hi!

The Pleasant Repeats:
1) Not my first time meeting Dr. B, Lance Fisher, Ed Guthrie, and several others. Great to see you all again! :yes:
2) Not my first time seeing a Glory.
3) Not my first time on a good long x-c - My other long one was to LEX, "only" 374nm great circle.

Best of all, I'm having fun, flying, and learning a ton! Thanks again, Diana, for getting this tradition started. I know this inspired several of us to kind of jump out of the nest. :yes:

Well guess i'll add my Firsts too. First time west of the mississippi river ,First time flying above 9500 MSL , And the first time i ever saw a Armidillo,Now for did nots , Didn't get a ride in Diana;s plane ,didn't get a ride in Chip's 300, and didn't get a ride in the 195,But had a good time anyway,and maybe i'll fly my plane to the next one Dave G

carol hays said:
Here's a few photos
Thanks for posting those pictures Carol. Ken and Dave Taylor looked like they were having a good time. :)

And welcome to the forum!

flyingcheesehead said:
Best of all, I'm having fun, flying, and learning a ton! Thanks again, Diana, for getting this tradition started. I know this inspired several of us to kind of jump out of the nest. :yes:

Wow. I'm happy to hear that. Thanks Kent. :)

11 year necropost. Very impressive. Either way you should put it on your list. A fun place with some great people.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

First time seeing a powered parachute fall out of the sky.
First time in a Robinson chopper.
First time I've ever seen fog appear, disappear, and reappear several times right in front of our eyes.
First time to witness a two hour long, fairly drunken conversation about how to properly do a hot start on various models at 2am.

First time meeting many of the good people of POA, who I hope will be friends for a long time.

Who are all those people? J/k.
First time riding right seat IFR, and seeing a near minimums landing. First time flying after midnight in the aforementioned fog. Firsrt x-country with another POA'r.

Back