What are you flying?

I fly a Piper Tripacer for fun. I fell into kind of sideways the day after I got my license. It has taken me to more places (48 states/5 provinces and counting) and given me more stories to tell that any person deserves. :thumbsup:

Barb

Does One Short own one of the most traveled Tripacers in the business?
Here they were in Maine -- Bowdoinham 08B.

HR

Attachments

• One Short_1.jpg
    One Short_1.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 14
  • One Short_2.jpg
    One Short_2.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 18
  • One Short_3.jpg
    One Short_3.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 16
  • One Short_4.jpg
    One Short_4.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 13
PA-25-250
T-41B
LS-4
Grob 103 Twin II
SGS 2-33A
SGS 1-26D

I fly a Piper Tripacer for fun. I fell into kind of sideways the day after I got my license. It has taken me to more places (48 states/5 provinces and counting) and given me more stories to tell that any person deserves. :thumbsup:

Barb

Barb:

I have not met you yet, but I like your style, and I've always liked Tripes- so silly that they're cool, and they walk away from a 172 every day of the week. You fly everywhere, prove the magic in "magic carpet" is the nut behind the yoke.

---

I fly a Bonanza, V35A. Dearly love the plane.

Attachments

• P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    627.2 KB · Views: 10
DSC01626-1.jpg

it's a trainer that's still teaching me

Last edited:
For work either an F-15C or an MC-12 (depends on the deployment)

For me: my Glasair

Instruments are more challenging in the Glasair, but nothing is as challenging as employing an Eagle effectively.

Last edited:

Barb,

Anyone who TELLS those stories to others as well as you do, deserves all the stories they can handle! :yes:

I'd like to toss a question your way:
What do you fly for fun? Training? Challenge yourself?

Are they all the same, why or why not?

Whoo boy. My current bird of choice is our new-ish Diamond Star. Great vis, great handling, great efficiency, great fun!

Of course, I've had a long love affair with our C182 as well, as it has taken me to about 30 states and lofted me over the earth for over 400 hours over the past 6 years. I "cheat" on her often (I have over 750 hours in those same 6 years), but she still loves me. :D

I use both of the above for the vast majority of my mid-to-long distance transportation needs as well as giving rides and doing shorter $100 burger runs.

But then, there's the real fun:

* Aerobatics: The Extra 300 was a hot rod and great fun, but the Citabria was more my speed even if it is harder to fly in some ways...

* Pure fun: Love the late-model Huskies, after the ailerons were changed the control harmony is WAY better than the Super Cubs they're based off of.

* I'm OK with Cubs too though. Twice a year I head over to Cadillac, MI and fly a Super Cub - On floats in the summer and on skis in the winter.

A Citabria, mostly. It's pretty versatile. I can take long trips in it (might take me a while, but I eventually get there :D), take it into short and rough strips, and take it upside down.

Sometimes I fly a Skyhawk when I have a lot of stuff to haul, or have a lot of Young Eagles to take flying, or if the Citabria isn't flyable.

What no home builders here?

Glasair Sportsman IO-390, AFS AF4500 EFIS, taildragger now. Lots of fun.

Hummmmm, YEA......... I don't build homes but I do experimentals

1948 Luscombe 8E named Lester.

1946 Luscombe 8A when mine is down for maintenance.

Deb

Various steam 172s.

What no home builders here?

Glasair Sportsman IO-390, AFS AF4500 EFIS, taildragger now. Lots of fun.

Well, as mentioned, my ride is experimental, amateur built (I bought it, didn't build it)

When I fly with my brother it is in one of the two aircraft he built (T-18, Pitts).

But, am I the only one here who has never flown a 172? (I rode in the back seat of one once when I was about 12 or so.)

Citabria because it's fun to fly. Added accidental bonus, my wife likes it too. For whatever reason, she feels more comfortable in the Citabria than riding right seat in a 172. She loves the visability, "her" space in the rear, and the "cool" factor of owning a taildragger. Moving into the fifth year of ownership and she still likes it.
That WAS a fun airplane! Hope it's treating you right!!

1978 Grumman AA5B Tiger. See sig.

But, am I the only one here who has never flown a 172? (I rode in the back seat of one once when I was about 12 or so.)

I did a check of all certificated pilots in the US...I sorted by airplanes flown as PIC...you are indeed the only pilot in the country that hasn't flown a 172.

I've scheduled N1724Y for you this weekend so we can take care of that.

But on a more serious note, I fly the club's two very nice 172Ns. They are steam gauge but have Garmin 430 gps units in them.

Other planes I've flown are C152, Warrior II, Archer, and Tecnam Bravo.

I did a check of all certificated pilots in the US...I sorted by airplanes flown as PIC...you are indeed the only pilot in the country that hasn't flown a 172.

It's worse than I thought! :hairraise:

I've scheduled N1724Y for you this weekend so we can take care of that.

Cool!

'cept I think the wife would have a fit if I went out of town twice this week. (Riding the tube to DCA right after work today)

Ok, I had to look up that N number - clever!

Owned a Turbo Arrow for several years. Now mainly flying 172's, an occasional DA40, and an Arrow II.

That WAS a fun airplane! Hope it's treating you right!!

We've had a few issues over the years (radio, carburetor, paint etc.) but it's still fun. My wife wouldn't let me sell it if I wanted to.

Cessna 150 because that is what I have right now.

1976 Cessna Cardinal RG. I also belong to a flying club with two 172s and a 182, but have only flown my own plane since I bought it last April.

I fly our 80 Beech Sundowner.....everywhere. Looking forward to new adventures this year.......well, when the snow decides to bug out.

This past year I got some time in an Archer. I used to belong to a club with an Archer II so it was fun getting back in the Piper.

Mostly a C182T w/ G1000 these days.

Until last Sept my fun airplane of choice was a T-34 mentor, but that ended when the flying club disbanded :cryin:

If you want more flying opportunities -- get your CFI. You'll have plenty of offers.

:thumbsup:
I'm very close to the instrument checkride and might someday go for the CPSEL rating, just for the challenge. But I really doubt I'll ever go for the CFI. As much as I love aviation and teaching, there's not enough money anyone could pay me to let other people try to kill me in an airplane. :no:

Now, flying Pilots 'n' Paws missions is something I've been seriously thinking about since I bought my plane, and I've been on their mailing list for about a year. I could really see doing a few runs this summer and will probably even have the time, once I finish up my IR. :yes:

I FLEW today, also Sunday. It was beeeyoootiful.
DT
(right now, I am drinking wine.)

Used to fly an '83 Sundowner. Then an '04 T182T. Now a Piper Matrix. I am being seduced by a Piper Navajo Chieftain, but have thus far have not strayed.

A CubCrafters TopCub would make a nifty 2nd plane.....but Mrs Flyersfan is the one who earns the $$$, and she doesn't quite see the allure. :confused:

Here's my baby, coming out of P & I.... I will pick it up Sat.. Also, building an F1 Rocket that with a little luck will be finished this summer...

Oh! My!

Is there a way that it can be posted bigger without having to click on it?

Click "Edit" and then "Go Advanced." You'll see a list of attachments down near the "Manage Attachments" button - In this case, you only have one. Right-click the link and choose "copy link" or whatever. Now, click in the text box where you want to insert the image, then click the little
insertimage.gif
icon just above the text box, paste, hit return, and it'll put in the link surrounded by IMG tags. Hit "Submit Reply" and you'll see a full-size version right in the post. :yes:

Here's my baby, coming out of P & I.... I will pick it up Sat.. Also, building an F1 Rocket that with a little luck will be finished this summer...

Now that's an airplane after my own heart. How long have you had that beauty?

Used to fly an '83 Sundowner. Then an '04 T182T. Now a Piper Matrix. I am being seduced by a Piper Navajo Chieftain, but have thus far have not strayed.

Come to the side of the twins! I can help. ;)

C150D because that is the only 150 that can take a reasonable load.(It was a 150D or a MS880 which one I could find first some years ago)

-Kees

Polished alum Cessna 180-C with 275hp P-Ponk and 96 gal tanks 430w and Stec 30A. I don't really like it, but it's a chick magnet. :wink2:

Mooney M20J. Nicely fits my mission and pocketbook. I wish they'd made a twin.
Occasionally get paid to fly cooler stuff and nice friends have let me fly some other wonderful airplanes as well.

Back