Any good shops to spot repair filiform corrosion?

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
I've got a spot of filiform corrosion on the top of my horizontal stabilizer that have grown in the past six months (see image that shows Oct 2023 on left and today on right), and I'd like to get it repaired before it gets any bigger. I just don't want to have a 1-inch x 1-inch square where it's clearly obvious touch-up paint was used. Are there any pros out there who can make the repair and blend it in a way where it wouldn't be noticeable? Any recommendations in the southeast USA or central or southwest USA would be a appreciated. Thanks!

Apr-2024-vs-Oct-2023.png

Could have included aircraft type in reply.

scotchbrite the spot till it cleans up....then hit it with zinc chromate. That's very common in some areas of the US....especially Florida.

Note the pulled rivets....that should be a clue.

Definitely smart to act now.

Sort of hard to tell, but also looks like maybe a small area to the upper left of the left rivet.

Thanks guys. Any recommendations for who can do this in the southeast USA or central or southwest USA?

Bit of the same on my aircraft, mostly because of paint striper bleeding from the seems post painting. I have been looking to someone to clean it up, but have not found anyone.

Bit of the same on my aircraft, mostly because of paint striper bleeding from the seems post painting. I have been looking to someone to clean it up, but have not found anyone.
Maybe residual paint stripper in seams.... but if you look at OP's picture above, I'd wager that the spot of concern started in the field between the two rivets and grew outward from there. Like rust, it is all about getting an airtight, good coat of armor over the pores of the clean metal. Then maintaining it.

Indeed, the spot on my aircraft is definitely from residual stripper. Hope to find someone to touch it up as I have no interest in repainting the entire ship.

If that was my airplane I’d scrape/sand off the paint in the area, scotchbrite away the corrosion, and treat it with something. That way, it isn’t getting worse while you look for a paint shop.

Last edited:
If that was my airplanes lane I’d scrape/sand off the paint in the area, scotchbrite away the corrosion, and treat it with something. That way, it isn’t getting worse while you look for a paint shop.
Absolutely.
At an aircraft supply like Spruce or even marine stores like West, they both carry Etch solution and Alodine solution by quarts.

Are those steel “ pop” rivets or other?

It could cause a bigger issue with galvanic corrosion.

Back