Garmin 430. Reckon how long to live?

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
So Garmin will stop supporting, and admittedly, ignorant on what that means… main question is, how long can I expect to be able to get dbase updates?
Coaching appreciated.
-dan

I'm pretty sure they're going to keep selling DB updates as long as there are customers to buy them. What they mean by stop supporting is that they aren't making new parts for them so if you need a unit repaired it may not be possible to get it fixed.

IMHO the 430/530 series isn't going away any time soon. There are plenty of airplanes still using them and there will probably be plentiful good used units available for a long time to come. The one thing I wouldn't do is pay to have one installed in your panel if you don't already have a tray/harness wired up- not worth the installation cost at this point.

What they mean by stop supporting is that they aren't making new parts for them so if you need a unit repaired it may not be possible to get it fixed.
Not just that they aren't making any new parts. I believe that already happened years ago. More importantly is that their existing stock of some parts has run out and if your broken unit needs that part then you're out of luck. It's unrepairable.

The most notable part that is no longer available is the display, but there may be others.

I'm pretty sure they're going to keep selling DB updates as long as there are customers to buy them. What they mean by stop supporting is that they aren't making new parts for them so if you need a unit repaired it may not be possible to get it fixed.

IMHO the 430/530 series isn't going away any time soon. There are plenty of airplanes still using them and there will probably be plentiful good used units available for a long time to come. The one thing I wouldn't do is pay to have one installed in your panel if you don't already have a tray/harness wired up- not worth the installation cost at this point.

Looking at the cost of a Garmin 175 vs a good used 430W with a recent 8130, my local shop said, the cost to install is going to be the same. I opeted to take it one step further and go with the 375 to clean up the pannel and give me in & out capability as my radios are in pretty good shape.

Thanks for the responses and help w intel. So helpful

So Garmin will stop supporting, and admittedly, ignorant on what that means… main question is, how long can I expect to be able to get dbase updates?
Coaching appreciated.
-dan
They’re not able to replace displays on 430s anymore - none left in stock and no point to making them as they’ve been out of production for a long time - and they stopped upgrading non-WAAS units to Ws.

Back