What is the most fun "Aviation tool/gear" you've purchased?

Pilot_Neptune

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot_Neptune
What is the most fun "Aviation tool/gear" you've purchased?

Not necessarily something needed, although it could be, but something that made flying so much more fun.

Seems like a strange question. Everything I've purchased for my homebuilt is primarily safety related.

Recently added a G5, I like it a lot. It's simplified some aspects of my traditional panel.

Bought a collapsible scooter that's fits in the plane that has come in very handy.

I think I have a particular perspective on flying and I rarely think about flying as "fun". I love it and am passionate about it, but to me, its a dead serious activity.

My perspective has been skewed by too many people I know being killed during this activity.

Seems like a strange question. Everything I've purchased for my homebuilt is primarily safety related.

Recently added a G5, I like it a lot. It's simplified some aspects of my traditional panel.

Bought a collapsible scooter that's fits in the plane that has come in very handy.

I think I have a particular perspective on flying and I rarely think about flying as "fun". I love it and am passionate about it, but to me, its a dead serious activity.

My perspective has been skewed by too many people I know being killed during this activity.
I don't think it is strange! But I totally understand your perspective and feel the same way. I just think that safety can also be fun. It is fun to stay alive haha. I like the scooter idea!

I haven’t found anything better than my 172 yet.
Yep. Your own airplane is amazing.

I was really happy when I got my yoke mount figured out for my tablet. Bonus that I don't have to take it out of my airplane ever time I fly.

Outside of the obvious like avionics upgrades, and not quite aviation specific, but 2 foldable bikes that fit in my baggage compartment.

Dumb and probably not what you're after -- but I own my hangar (port-a-port) at an airport that doesn't necessarily want me there, and it shows through in many ways.

My favorite aviation purchase recently is a little Genie scissor lift.

I have used it to patch all of the ceiling leaks, run conduit for lights, outlets and an entire off-grid solar setup (because we don't get electricity in our hangars)

This has made living with the plane many-fold better for me. :)

1712357853034.png

Picked it up for well under a grand from Iron Planet and fetched it from a local rental yard. I look for stupid reasons now to LARP as an electrician on days when I don't want to LARP as a pilot :) As a bonus -- no more standing in a lagoon on soggy days when I want to noodle with the plane.

Last edited:
Dumb and probably not what you're after -- but I own my hangar (port-a-port) at an airport that doesn't necessarily want me there, and it shows through in many ways.

I have used it to patch all of the ceiling leaks, run conduit for lights, outlets and an entire off-grid solar setup (because we don't get electricity in our hangars)

View attachment 127472

Picked it up for well under a grand from Iron Planet and fetched it from a local rental yard. I look for stupid reasons now to LARP as an electrician on days when I don't want to LARP as a pilot :) As a bonus -- no more standing in a lagoon on soggy days when I want to noodle with the plane.

NICE! How high does that thing go?

BTW, is that one of the Harbor Freight tool boxes in the middle? I have their 5-drawer and I've been quite happy with it. Surprisingly good quality for the money.

View attachment 127472

I've been trying to score a used lift like that for a few years. Haven't had much luck yet.

Only kinda/sorta aviation gear, but I do really like the Citizen Blue Angels watch my company gave me when I retired. And my MA-1 flight jacket.

I got one of these a couple years ago and it has expanded my hangar a lot cheaper than construction would. With this thing, I can easily cram the Lance and Nanchang into a 50 x 50 hangar. No way I could fit them both without it. Can spin either plane around 360 degrees, inside the hangar, and plop it right where I want it.

Used it to tow the Lance through wet grass. No problem. Pulled the Nanchang out of the ditch when my ferry pilot turned to soon dropping off the plane....

T1X3-1_v3_2048x.jpg

NICE! How high does that thing go?

BTW, is that one of the Harbor Freight tool boxes in the middle? I have their 5-drawer and I've been quite happy with it. Surprisingly good quality for the money.

12 feet! It's a GR-12 :) And yes to the HF box, got it on some sidewalk sale and could use 3 more like it. I'm a fan. @Salty -- I learned that you can just fire lowball bids at Iron Planet and they'll relay them for you and you can actually end up haggling. It's slightly strange vs. eBay, but I watched for when they had a glut of the things and fired my bid, and ended up pleased with the result. It was more full-service and hands-on than I expected.

The rubbermaid rolly-service-carts get an honorable mention for useful hangar doodad. Here's one in the distance from high up in my hydraulic crow's nest, holding a future rat-nest of copper wire.

1712359028642.png

==

Separately for OP, I just thought of another quality of life thing I like -- my 10 foot long Anker USB-C to C cords. I can charge phone and ipad anywhere and route it neatly under seats and not all tangled in the yokes, which I managed to always do with the shorter ones.

"remove before flight" boxer shorts.

and I do.

also got remove before flight lingerie for my lady passengers but apparently they don't like wearing used clothing.

Last edited:
I got one of these a couple years ago and it has expanded my hangar a lot cheaper than construction would. With this thing, I can easily cram the Lance and Nanchang into a 50 x 50 hangar. No way I could fit them both without it. Can spin either plane around 360 degrees, inside the hangar, and plop it right where I want it.

Used it to tow the Lance through wet grass. No problem. Pulled the Nanchang out of the ditch when my ferry pilot turned to soon dropping off the plane....
So does the rest of Johnny Five use a wheelchair now?

Yep. Your own airplane is amazing.

I was really happy when I got my yoke mount figured out for my tablet. Bonus that I don't have to take it out of my airplane ever time I fly.
What mount did you go with?

What mount did you go with?
Ram X-grip, ram small "tough claw", and IIRC two of the shortest double sockets and a double ball end. Gives enough articulation to perfectly center it in the yoke. Works in the Lance and the 172.

View attachment 127472

Your hangar looks great and nice job being self sufficient. I would probably live in it during the nice weather!

I am so lucky to own my 172, Then even luckier to be able to keep it in a rented T hangar even though I don’t own it.
I flew my 172 twice today. Came to the hangar this afternoon and flew for an hour in bumpy air and rain all around just above freezing. Got called into work and had to land early.
Went to work and put out the “fire”
Came back to the hangar and got the plane out again. Put 1.5 on it in much better conditions and smoother air. Did some night landings and take off even though I was night current already.
Been a week since I flew because of the weather. I feel better now.

I bought a used lift 15 years ago for a storage business to be able to service parking lot lights and security cameras.
I have had it at the hangar in the past and hung lights in my and my buddy hangers with it.

Sold the business in Dec but I kept the lift. It now lives in my hangar. it’s a gennie, lifts 12’, high enough to reach the ceiling.
IMG_4210.jpeg

Last edited:
Which scooter?
Just a cheap one; $200. My plane is light sport so I bought the lightest one
I could find.

Can't remember the name of it. It has zero vibration isolation (and I replaced the inflatable tires with solid rubber. inflatables kept going flat) so it's not fun to ride.

Not something I would recommend but it works for me.

Free GPS app for Android, coupled with free planning app. Also free up to date aeronautical charts, and AFD. It works very well, and no clunkiness, no subscription, no need for data plan. Fun stuff. :D

Trio Ez auto-pilot. Makes flying in light turbulence more fun because it flys it better than I do ... ;)

I bought an Electric Unicycle and taught myself how to ride it. The Kingsong 14D EUC weighs 30 pounds and is about the size of a laptop case. It has a 15 mile range at 15 MPH. I bought it in November 2022 and have put about 330 miles on it. My dog loves it! We run together a few times a week. It fits easily in the plane and turns long walks into short jaunts. I love it!

Attachments

• IMG_20221108_132123322.jpg
    IMG_20221108_132123322.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Finding out (after already owning the C206 for 14 years) that it could be made into a flying motorhome with ground transportation:

Alaska108w_860x595.jpg

We carried a tent, then found out it was quicker, easier, and more comfortable to just sleep in the plane. :)

Sleep.jpg

I thought I had arrived when I got an electronic e6b when I was doing instrument training in 07 lol

“fun” is relative. Most things I’ve bought for my plane were out of necessity such as the first thing which was a Prometheus landing light after I almost plowed into a family of javelinas crossing the runway at night. Second was nice to have which was the Avion yokes, replacing the original bakelite bow tie yokes. Then it just snowballed from there

Insta360 X3 camera! I've done a lot of videos with standard GoPro's, Virb's, Sony ActionCams, iPhone's, etc. The Insta360 is really great to get the best shot and dramatically improves the quality of the video. I still mount GoPro's as well for fixed directional shots when flying to cool places, but I use the 360 video more as it is much more versatile in capturing the best angle. Example of flying the Grand Canyon:

Grand Canyon Trip

View attachment 127472

I owe you one for the iron planet tip bro. Like I said, I’ve been trying to find a reasonable priced lift for a few years and since your post I got a JLG 1930es in excellent condition for less than half the best price I’d run into previously!

Garmin Pilot app on both a tablet and phone combined with SkyTimer on my phone. Nice complement to dual G5's and a 650 to run the big map on the iPad with weather and the phone as a dedicated traffic display. SkyTimer so far has been the simplest, best fuel tank timing aid I've ever encountered and works wonderfully with the iPhone's top little window display.

Garmin Pilot and gdl39 3d, play with these even on the ground.
also wife got me a pair of Rayban Aviators love walking around in these saying pilot stuff

Back