iFly EFB questions, ipad vs android

Yep. Alternatively, you could stop looking at iFly while you're doing aerobatics. ;)

I kept mine enabled, but set the thresholds where they won't bother me but might be useful if I'm screwing up. IIRC, the roll is set to 50deg.

The problem is my Stratux is not calibrated, so it ALWAYS thinks I am doing aerobatics.

I'd prefer to pull the AHRS chip out, but I think I need it for the fan controller. Maybe I'll research that sometime. Gotta be a standalone RBP fan controller out there.

Uh, why not calibrate your Stratux?
Tried a couple of times. Gives me garbage. Don't care enough to troubleshoot, as I would never use it in flight. Even more so now that I know how to turn off the display.

Last edited:
Fan controller???
Yep. If I remember this correctly (@Ed Haywood?) when I built it it (almost 6 years ago; I haven't used my Stratux for several years now), one of the issues was lack of control of the cooling fan. In addition to AHRS, the chip measured internal temperatures and turned the fan on and off as needed.

Just downloaded a software update.

Touching Class B areas on the screen to get airspace info causes the app to close. Tried this with Tampa, Memphis, and Orlando; same result. Class C and D work fine.

IMO a product released with these kinds of bugs is not airworthy. I'm going to look for an alternative. Probably Garmin Pilot. Sigh.

Touching Class B areas on the screen to get airspace info causes the app to close. Tried this with Tampa, Memphis, and Orlando; same result. Class C and D work fine.

IMO a product released with these kinds of bugs is not airworthy. I'm going to look for an alternative. Probably Garmin Pilot. Sigh.

What version?

Just tried Orlando, Tampa, and Miami. Worked fine. Version 12.0.18, about a year old.

Android 13.0.32
462a426ae42d309a91a2c011aaf1c0b5.jpg

IOS 17 / 13.0.30
4991a658a569b4293a1a29bbd054681a.jpg

112c040c9e2925a149fbe5f3ad5ae5f7.jpg

Android 13.0.32
462a426ae42d309a91a2c011aaf1c0b5.jpg

Try zooming in on the Android til the Class B is larger than the screen. Mine works when zoomed out sufficiently. Wouldn't be surprised if your tablet does not have the same bug as my phone though.

Try zooming in on the Android til the Class B is larger than the screen. Mine works when zoomed out sufficiently. Wouldn't be surprised if your tablet does not have the same bug as my phone though.

Likely a hardware issue. The tablet is a Tab S6 Lite (SM-P613) with whatever version of Android shipped with it.

0ae88461792c73caaa15fba892fbc619.jpg

Likely a hardware issue.
I disagree with you there. This issue immediately followed an iFly version update. Phone is a Google Pixel 7 running stock Android.

If you scroll up earlier in the thread, this is not my first problem with iFly. I have had two in-flight app freezes, one during a stressful situation.

I like the app and would very much like to continue to use it. But after 3 strikes, I'm no longer sure I can trust their QC process to be sufficient for an in-flight environment. A larger entity like Garmin or Boeing may have more resources to perform Test-Driven Development.

However, that view conflicts with my cheapness. I just renewed my subscription in November, so I'll probably see if I have any more issues between now and then.

I disagree with you there. …

No harm/no foul. I’m the same way with my WC X9; I got there because I wanted something that just worked for me. Every. Single. Time. This particular one about 11,000 tries so far.

I know you had challenges before and honestly, glad you gave it a second try, but nothing’s perfect and I get that, just as I get different use case drive different form factors, hardware, and software. It it matters, Avare is an efb that’ll work on android at no cost. It’s not full-feature but it’s my backup over using fltplan.com, which is another option.

Seriously, I hope you find an EFB that works for you in your use cases.

After thinking about it more, I'll stick with iFly ... as long as it does not give me any more issues.

I finally got my Stratux dialed in with an under-the-panel mount and remote antennas, so not looking to change ADS-B source. That rules out GP or Aera. Not gonna switch to iPhone, so that rules out FF.

I'll manage software risk by carrying my iPad mini as backup on trips. Unlikely to have an identical bug in both Android and Apple versions.

I really liked iFly for VFR. Their smart routing was awesome.

I'll manage software risk by carrying my iPad mini as backup on trips. Unlikely to have an identical bug in both Android and Apple versions.

True, but if you're carrying an iPad anyway you might as well load FltPlan GO ( https://www.fltplan.com/ ) onto it and have a software alternative. It's free and while it's a little clunky, it's usable. I have it installed on my iPad and on my android phone.

I do my flight planning on my iPad mini, then sync it to the 740b on my panel. That way I have two devices ready to go, and if necessary I can still bring up FltPlan GO on my ipad or phone. I've been considering getting a cheap tablet for the panel and installing just FP GO on it and using it for weather monitoring only. It would be nice to have a continuous weather display without messing with my nav display.

If VFR only, Avare as a backup on the android device could work too. I have the 740b in the panel, the EFB on a Samsung A9 along with Avare. I haven't had a lockup or reboot yet (knock on wood)

iFly v13 incorporates a complete overhaul of the graphics engine to divorce the app from its WinCE roots. As you mentioned in a later post, iFly is a small shop and is reliant on the beta test community to identify bugs, but the beta community also does not represent the full suite of devices and OS versions out in the wild.

The good news is that Adventure Pilot can be very responsive to bugs--especially critical ones. Have you submitted a bug report?

I tried to replicate your issue on a Samsung S9+ (Android 10), a Samsung Tab S6 (Android 12), and a Samsung Galaxy S21U (Android 14) but could not--it works fine on all three (Tab S6 video here). What device and Android version are you running? Maybe I have a device that's a closer match I could try with.

Last edited:
Back