Ownership economics question

StraightnLevel

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
StraightnLevel
Window-shopping planes while completing PPL training has left me with more questions than answers in many ways, but the one which really leaves me scratching my head is TCO (Total Cost of Ownership). What's the net difference between buying new, slightly used, and very used?

A priori assumptions:

Assuming a given make/model/type, there is no significant difference between hangar, fuel, engine fund, prop fund, oil changes, liability insurance, and other per-hour variable costs, right? A new Piper Archer is really not much different from a 30-year old in these respects, right?

That leaves me with the difference in capital cost (depreciation and interest) vs. repairs, upkeep, and downtime. Assume all the costs involved have the same potential for business use deduction (or not, as the case may be).

Let's take a Piper Archer. New, it's ~$600K. One that is 40 years old is $100K. Let's say I have $100K cash to spend. That's either outright purchase of the old one, or a $500K 20-year loan on the new one.

At today's interest rates that's ~ $4,500/month in payments, of which roughly half will be interest over the life of the loan. $27K in interest/year.

The math is similar for a Cirrus SR22, but with less difference between new (<$1.1M) and used ($250K+ for 20-year-old, needing significant work).

There's also depreciation, but with the way pries are inflating it would seem that good aircraft are holding value fairly well. The old one probably depreciates less, but it seems minimal to me - am I wrong about this?

Now we get to repairs in unscheduled maintenance, ADs, etc. I assume that for a new plane it's going to be fairly low for at least the first 10 years / 1,000 hours. The experience I am seeing with our school planes and what I've heard from friends with older planes leaves me wondering how much to expect in real-world costs per year for the "experienced" one. Aside from the engine and prop per-hour funding, what is a real-world expectation for the things that are going to break or require maintenance that goes beyond oil changes and ELT batteries? How do I put together a costing plan for a given make/model/type? I hear stories of $25-50K annual on relatively pedestrian planes....and that leaves me wondering if there is a point (as there is with cars) where the economics do not favor trying to coax an older plane to stay airworthy as opposed to buying a newer model.

At some point, even if the cost is marginally lower for the older plane, does the likely downtime offset the cost to the point of making the older ones non-viable for regular use? I see a whole lot of planes in rented tie-downs and covered spots that don't look as if they have moved in years.....???

Then there is the option of buying something REALLY old like an early Bonanza, and biting the bullet up-front for a restoration project. Does that approach address the unscheduled maintenance risk, or is it still going to be an old airplane that takes a bite out of my wallet every 6-9 months?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Unless you buy a POS, annuals should never be $25 to $50k, or anywhere close to that. In 7 years of owning my 180 I have had to replace 1 cylinder and overhaul 2, overhaul the carb, some rod ends, a fuel bladder, a new tailwheel, and maybe some other small stuff. Everything else I spent was by choice.

I think a new plane is ridiculous unless you are flying it 1000 hrs a year, like a flight school.

I was under the impression (though never looked myself) that banks don't generally write 30-year notes on depreciating assets. I thought you were looking at more like a 5-10 year loan on a plane, 15 at the outside. But I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong; maybe new planes are different...

Buying new works if you need an expensive to maintain rapidly depreciating asset. Buying a project works if you’ve got new airplane money but would rather buy your mechanic a boat.

Everything else is the sweet spot. Hangar, insurance, maintenance and avgas will eventually eclipse capex though, so it really depends on how big your bucket of disposable income is.

I was under the impression (though never looked myself) that banks don't generally write 30-year notes on depreciating assets.
They don't. You can sometimes get 20, though, on something that large that is new. I haven't ever done a plane loan, but from what I gather with some quick 'net research, it appears really similar to a motorhome loan (which I have done before).

Note that the economic life of a GA plane is a lot longer than that of a car or truck. 30-year-old planes are selling for prices that aren't that different from what they sold for new.

In 2010, a new Cirrus SR20 sold for ~$360. Today, that same 15-year old plane will sell for between $300-$340K. Yes, it's depreciating in real dollars, but the actual value isn't dropping very much.

Last edited:
Your insurance will be directly related to hull value. A $600k plane will cost more than a $100k model. Liability is more related to number of seats.

Your insurance will be directly related to hull value. A $600k plane will cost more than a $100k model. Liability is more related to number of seats.
Right - and that's one of the items I am having some trouble budgeting for. Worst case, when you pay cash you can go without hull coverage and just get liability; that's not an option with a loan, as the bank will insist on full coverage.

It depends on how nice of a plane you want. To buy an old plane and make it as nice as a brand new one will cost probably 3/4 of the new price. Most are satisfied with a mid time engine, worn interior, and avionics from the Carter administration. Personally, if I was Archer shopping, I'd buy an older model and spend the money I would've paid the bank on upgrades over time. That said, if I had the cash I'd be inclined to buy a new one. I have a hard time borrowing money for a luxury item, ymmv.

It depends on how nice of a plane you want. To buy an old plane and make it as nice as a brand new one will cost probably 3/4 of the new price. Most are satisfied with a mid time engine, worn interior, and avionics from the Carter administration. Personally, if I was Archer shopping, I'd buy an older model and spend the money I would've paid the bank on upgrades over time. That said, if I had the cash I'd be inclined to buy a new one. I have a hard time borrowing money for a luxury item, ymmv.
Bolded is where I started - cash only. When interest rates started to go up recently I had made a commitment to myself to not take out any more loans - ever.

Then, I started looking at the prices of old planes vs. new, and the math doesn't seem quite as obvious as I originally thought....hence this thread. I'm still not a huge fan of debt, but I have to run through the numbers to convince myself before dropping a 6-digit sum.

When you mentally add about $40 for every engine hour since overhaul, it changes the way you think about used pricing. If you're not thinking that way, I think you're kidding yourself, because that engine bill WILL come due, and it's either out of pocket or deducted from selling price.

When you mentally add about $40 for every engine hour since overhaul

Following this thread out of interest. Is this a widely accepted "rule of thumb" (close enough +/- to apply to most general aviation aircraft) or just a figure you calculated for the particular aircraft you're considering?

To get something brand new you’re looking at 400k-900k more easy anywhere from a Cessna to a Cirrus. 5% interest on that is substantial. Plus depreciation, insurance, any damages, and it’s difficult and time consuming to sell an airplane.

As far as engine maintenance and expensive annuals, you just never know.

Following this thread out of interest. Is this a widely accepted "rule of thumb" (close enough +/- to apply to most general aviation aircraft) or just a figure you calculated for the particular aircraft you're considering?
I've been seeing OH/new engine rates quoted in the $60-70K range, with TBOH 1,800-2,000. $70,000 at 1,900 hours is about $37.

Example, for the Cirrus SR22: https://www.airpowerinc.com/io-550-n

The math problem gets a lot easier when considering how few non-trainers are available new. Is an Archer actually a fit for your mission or is that an example for the exercise?

When you mentally add about $40 for every engine hour since overhaul, it changes the way you think about used pricing. If you're not thinking that way, I think you're kidding yourself, because that engine bill WILL come due, and it's either out of pocket or deducted from selling price.

That might be a little rich for an Archer, but I agree in principle. In my case, I was shopping for a plane that hasn't been built since the 70's, so new wasn't a consideration. I needed a combination of seats and useful load that no longer exists in the new market, with the exception of the Vision Jet lol. I put together a spreadsheet that added $20/hour (reasonable at the time) for engine time, a discount for paint & interior if they were ugly, and the cost of bringing the avionics up to my minimum, which was 430 WAAS or better, engine monitor, and functional 2 axis A/P. I also estimated an airframe EOL at 15000 hours and adjusted for TT, which wound up being $5/hr. All those numbers would be about double today for my plane.

Put together objective numbers like that and it becomes a lot easier to analyze different options. When my current plane popped up on the market, the spreadsheet screamed "BUY!" and I signed a contract on it the day after it was listed. A plane available new would be even easier to put numbers on because you know what the replacement airframe would cost. Just don't forget that new airplanes tend to have WAY lower useful load than old ones.

To get something brand new you’re looking at 400k-900k more easy anywhere from a Cessna to a Cirrus. 5% interest on that is substantial. Plus depreciation, insurance, any damages, and it’s difficult and time consuming to sell an airplane.

As far as engine maintenance and expensive annuals, you just never know.
How can it be $900K more for a Cirrus? A new SR22 is just over $1M. There is nothing used below $250K on the market at all; most of those are well beyond TBOH and either are beyond CAPS re-pack or have it coming due within a year or two, so that's closer to $650 net differential.

Last edited:
The math problem gets a lot easier when considering how few non-trainers are available new. Is an Archer actually a fit for your mission or is that an example for the exercise?
Example for the exercise. I would want something that can do longer XC, so a SR22 is probably closer to reality.

Experimental is the way, and IMHO are/will lead the way as the current bubble pops. Hang on 6-8 months for a buyer's market.

If you want an SR 22, the G5 or G6 are the way to go. Personally I think around a 15 to a 19 are in the sweet spot. The g5 and 6 have a 3600 gross weight which makes the aircraft very useful. I would also do the FIKI and AC. As far as the economics of it, don't bother, it doesn't make sense.

It can be factored a couple of ways, but the formula is the same: Engine Choice / TBO. In our case, we just purchased an exchange O-320-E2D for our 172. That was just under $36,000; For each hour going forward this year, we will assess $18/hr that goes directly to the OH fund. We also needed a new prop; that was $7800 and since our prop isn't time-limited, we're just scheduling it as a new prop at TBO, so again, 7800/2000hrs = $4/hr for an OH assessment of $22/hr; we'll fudge it up to $25/hr just for kicks and grins and expect to come out of pocket another $10K or so for labor and whatnot at the next OH. Of course, we'll adjust these numbers annually to reflect current prices.

Experimental is the way, and IMHO are/will lead the way as the current bubble pops. Hang on 6-8 months for a buyer's market.

"Predictions are hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

In 2010, a new Cirrus SR20 sold for ~$360. Today, that same 15-year old plane will sell for between $300-$340K. Yes, it's depreciating in real dollars ...

A house bought for $300K in 2010 is worth at least $600K now. $300K invested in the S&P500 is worth $1.3M. A new Cirrus in 2010 was a crap investment in financial terms. It is reasonable to expect the same from a new one now.

Airplanes depreciate for 15-20 years, then bottom out and start keeping pace or even appreciating. Older Cirri are entering that window. That's probably the best opportunity to balance cost and value.

IMO the other good opportunity is an aircraft from the peak market years of late 70's to early 80's, well maintained and upgraded with modern avionics as budget allows.

Last edited:
"Predictions are hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

I'm not calling squat. But I am taking someone's word on it, and that's that we're about to see 2008 all over again.

Gotta get myself some more hours and an IR, then it's Aztec shoppin' time.

If you're right, a Velocity twin might look pretty cool.....but that is a big time commitment.

Me and my partner have been doing $65/hr since we bought our 1970 182 about 5 years ago. Only used that fund for bid ticket items. A cylinder a couple years ago, and now we are sending the engine for overhaul. We have more than half the money we are gonna need for engine overhaul, prop and gov overhaul, and engine mount inspection. So between the both of us we have cash on hand to cover the remaining balance.

I have found a lot of the ramp/Hangar queens are owners that thought they only had to pay for fuel and not thinking about have a reserve fund. So when the expensive repairs were needed, they didn’t have the money. So now they own a plane sitting and rotting away.

I have found a lot of the ramp/Hangar queens are owners that thought they only had to pay for fuel and not thinking about have a reserve fund. So when the expensive repairs were needed, they didn’t have the money. So now they own a plane sitting and rotting away.
Right. I learned this lesson with race cars. If you can't afford to budget for tires, engines, and crash damage, you will not last through a season. Hopefully the crash damage doesn't carry over to airplanes.....

Still waiting on that market crash to either upgrade with the partners or strike out on my own.

Seems like it’ll never happen.

win/win.......win?
I would like the option to save on insurance by letting them out of paying out hull value if I’m dead. At that point. I don’t care.

Unless you buy a POS, annuals should never be $25 to $50k, or anywhere close to that. In 7 years of owning my 180 I have had to replace 1 cylinder and overhaul 2, overhaul the carb, some rod ends, a fuel bladder, a new tailwheel, and maybe some other small stuff. Everything else I spent was by choice.

I think a new plane is ridiculous unless you are flying it 1000 hrs a year, like a flight school.

If you own it long enough you will likely get one or more of these $25/50k repairs.

We have owned our Scout for about 25 years now. Did really good for the 1st 20years, but about 5 years ago a Crankshaft AD finally required an engine tear down and new cylinders for the $25K repair.
looks like next year we will have to start looking at replacing fabric, we might be able to spread that out over a couple years but looks like another $25k-30k.

Of course we all hear about the $25K+ Annual/repairs, the normal <$3500 Annuals just don't make the conversation..

Brian
CFIG/ASEL

I bought a 180 Hp, 2002 model Maule MX7 in 2013 with 1,000 hours on the engine. I paid ~$100K for the plane back then. At 2400 hours, the engine started making metal, so I bought a rebuilt O-360 from LyCon with the cylinders flowed and ported, the tappets DLC coated and some other engine upgrades. The new engine cost $43K, but puts out 203 Hp on the dyno. I still have less than half of what a new Maule would cost invested and I have a marvelously performing airplane that will last me until I quit flying. With a used plane, you don't get everything perfect on day 1, but you get to fly right away. Ordering a new Maule puts you on a 1 year waiting list (if you are lucky). I assume other aircraft have similar lead times for a new unit. It took me 7 months to get a rebuilt engine for my plane. If you actually want to fly, buy something used and fly it now. I believe you'll come out money ahead and will be able to rack up some great adventures right away. Do be wary of buying hangar or ramp queens. Letting an aircraft engine sit idle for long periods is the worst thing you can do to it, and can easily lead to requiring overhaul before TBO.

Another thing to think about is where plane values have been going. My plane is worth more now than when I bought it. Over the course of my life, I've made more (percentage -wise) buying and selling airplanes than I have with houses. The planes have also been MUCH more fun than a house.

I've earmarked $15-$20k for the flying budget per year for the past 15 years. That doesn't include acquisition (paid cash) but included EVERYTHING else including databases, insurance, hangar, maintenance, etc...

I haven't gone over $20k yet, and come in under $15k a few times.
(I don't figure an hourly maintenance cost, I just know at some point I may need a new engine, and that money is available if/when needed)

Try going without a house.

I said planes were more fun - not more important. I like having shelter, but my house has never been something I run to for fun. I hate gardening (but I do it), I hate home maintenance (but I do it) and I groan when my property taxes are due (but I pay them). My plane is completely impractical, and unnecessary, but immensely fun. Each and every flight in the 4 planes I've owned over the years has been immensely fun. Nothing has consistently brought as many smiles to my face over the years as flying small planes for the shear joy of it. Aircraft maintenance has never been a pain, because an A&P has to do it, not me. The joy flying small planes has brought me is why I recommended the OP buy a used plane so they can start flying sooner.

I've earmarked $15-$20k for the flying budget per year for the past 15 years. That doesn't include acquisition (paid cash) but included EVERYTHING else including databases, insurance, hangar, maintenance, etc...

I haven't gone over $20k yet, and come in under $15k a few times.
(I don't figure an hourly maintenance cost, I just know at some point I may need a new engine, and that money is available if/when needed)
How many hours/year do you fly, and what plane?

Back