Tesla Pickup Unveil

I'm thinking that would make sense, but if you're doing that, you could probably go with a more traditional-looking EV Truck, no?
I certainly would. Frankly, I don't think the cyber truck is a truck. I'm not sure what the hell it is.

No reason to wonder. It’s a reality. Many regret leasing the land. They have a huge environmental impact.

When I was living in western Kansas they put one in just a few miles down the road. Was not a fan.
There was a great documentary on this. They can put them just far away from a house that if they fall, they won't hit it. The shadows cast on their houses was driving some of them crazy... it was like a strobe all the time. Between that and the noise, it was overwhelming.

Living near Austin, I see hundreds of these ugly wannabe trucks. I drive by a train depot where they load them onto trains. I think if you asked a 4 year old to draw you a truck, they'd do better than this! Hopefully I'm not being vague on how I feel about these hideous things...

GBeCdr6XkAAekql

Looks like the Wagon Queen Family Truckster on the way to Walley World, "America's Favorite Family Fun Park"...

Jack be nimble, Jack be quick
(Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh)
Take a ride on a West Coast kick
(Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh)

Only in high population densities and short routes between them…

Rural America will be the last place to see electrification. If ever. They still don’t have the electric trains you speak of.
Actually, nearly every train on the rails today is electric. Most of them carry a diesel generator to generate the electricity.

Actually, nearly every train on the rails today is electric. Most of them carry a diesel generator to generate the electricity.

No ****.

I had no idea. /s

Lol

A very funny review of the CT. Cherry picked info, but still funny.

Tim

My decision, as expressed in a Facebook post:

53615252234_0611740954_z.jpg

Bottom line: $99,990 for the AWD “Foundation” model. Compare that to what Elon teased in 2019:

53390534516_cfc17583bd_z.jpg
That guys is obviously a troll ;). No logical person would buy an electric truck to tow a travel trailer. Even if they did why not get a Lightning or Silverado EV over a Tundra.

People really got to get past the truck aspect or any justification for buying one. It's a toy and status symbol just like every other EV out there. People buy 300k Porsche's just to drive to cars and coffee, lifted HD diesel trucks with chrome wheels and rubber band tires, Corvette's to have an excuse to wear their white Nike's and knee socks. I see 60's Corvettes with less hp than a modern V6 Camaro sell for 6 figures. Time to accept the fact that it's an enthusiast car for a different generation.

If everyone made logical decisions with the salvation of the planet in mind they would be driving base model Camry's they bought 20 years ago or a new one they plan to keep for the next 20. If you want an electric car for the performance, image, or a status symbol then do so. Just don't be one of those people pretending you are saving the environment every time you turn your lease in for the next hottest car.

That guys is obviously a troll ;). No logical person would buy an electric truck to tow a travel trailer. Even if they did why not get a Lightning or Silverado EV over a Tundra.
Except when the travel trailer powers itself.

"The L1 has its own 80kWH battery that powers an electric drivetrain... This way, you won't have any range or miles per gallon lost"

rve_mar2023-new_notes-01.jpg

If everyone made logical decisions with the salvation of the planet in mind they would be driving base model Camry's they bought 20 years ago or a new one they plan to keep for the next 20. If you want an electric car for the performance, image, or a status symbol then do so. Just don't be one of those people pretending you are saving the environment every time you turn your lease in for the next hottest car.
Hey, I’m driving a 2007 Prius that has 250,000 miles on it… for real.

Cool! But no way they can sell them for that. Look what Winnebago Class C’s are going for:

53615518613_3f78152241_z.jpg

Albeit a motor home and not a trailer, but still…
I dunno, it's basically a Ford Lightning (or insert EV example here) with extra interior space and no need for a ton of the safety/infotainment gadgetry. I'd think that you could probably make a small version (20'-25') for $120K as minimalist as they showed in the video. Those Class C examples have to purchase an existing Ford/Ram/Mercedes chassis and then build it out. You can buy new 30' travel trailers for $30K-$40K all day long. So can they take a basic EV drivetrain/battery and adapt it to a $40K trailer? I don't see why not. The problem is convincing people to spend 3-4Xs the money for a travel trailer over a traditional model. I can buy a TON of fuel for the extra $80K it takes to buy an EV travel trailer.

Edit: I'd guess they are targeting the type of buyers who buy Airstream trailers for $120K-140K, who might see it as a wash between the two.

Cool! But no way they can sell them for that. Look what Winnebago Class C’s are going for:

53615518613_3f78152241_z.jpg

Albeit a motor home and not a trailer, but still…

$125K is the bottom end of the lux 5W market or Airstream market. I’d be more worried about tongue weight/TV payload limits on a bumper pull. Plus it’s an incredibly niche consumer segment.

ETA: they’re spec’ing 27ft & 7500 GVWR. Considering a model 3 is 4k lbs and an X plaid is the chunkster at 5400lbs, I’m skeptical. Then, will a standard 30A or 50A campground outlet fit the needs? Lots of handwaving at the practicals of RVing.

Last edited:
$125K is the bottom end of the lux 5W market or Airstream market. I’d be more worried about tongue weight/TV payload limits on a bumper pull. Plus it’s an incredibly niche consumer segment.
Lol, I edited my comment to suggest the Airstream guys. Definitely a class of buyer who pays a ton for the name/visual appeal (and some increased quality as well).

Before buying our aluminum CampLite, we had joined an Airstream forum and were considering one.

Lots of complaints about declining quality, filiform corrosion on brand new trailers due to the inferior aluminum now used, and general QC issues. Still iconic, but this Google image search made up our minds:

27305047202_9dea5e37fb_z.jpg

To wit: our Camplite has an aluminum floor.

ETA: they’re spec’ing 27ft & 7500 GVWR. Considering a model 3 is 4k lbs and an X plaid is the chunkster at 5400lbs, I’m skeptical. Then, will a standard 30A or 50A campground outlet fit the needs? Lots of handwaving at the practicals of RVing.
So, say they build it out at 5K curb weight, and have a battery pack that can run it 250 miles on a charge. Should be doable for those who are just running 2-3 hours down the road right? Charge at that campsite off of Level 2 30A charging all day (while also having to power A/C/fridge/stove/etc), tow back home with a full charge. I think the campgrounds would have to adjust their electric fee for those, as they certainly aren't planning on an RV pulling full 30A load for 12 hours straight, lol.

So, say they build it out at 5K curb weight, and have a battery pack that can run it 250 miles on a charge. Should be doable for those who are just running 2-3 hours down the road right? Charge at that campsite off of Level 2 30A charging all day (while also having to power A/C/fridge/stove/etc), tow back home with a full charge. I think the campgrounds would have to adjust their electric fee for those, as they certainly aren't planning on an RV pulling full 30A load for 12 hours straight, lol.Yu
Yup. But the early adopters will get a free ride until the sites figure it out.

Plus, how many of these will really sell, if it moves beyond vaporware, for the reasons above.

The concept is intriguing, though. Pull a fully equipped travel trailer with a Ford Maverick, anyone?

So, say they build it out at 5K curb weight, and have a battery pack that can run it 250 miles on a charge. Should be doable for those who are just running 2-3 hours down the road right? Charge at that campsite off of Level 2 30A charging all day (while also having to power A/C/fridge/stove/etc), tow back home with a full charge. I think the campgrounds would have to adjust their electric fee for those, as they certainly aren't planning on an RV pulling full 30A load for 12 hours straight, lol.

The idea is grand alright. For comparison, the Airstream Flying Cloud 27’ has curb weight of 6k lbs and a GVWR of 7800. inTech’s 26’ offering is in that same range. A Rockwood Minilite is 5500lbs/6900lbs.

That’s a pretty big innovation gap to close. I wish them luck.

Had the typical Tesla SC experience today. Needed to replaced the top windows on my rear (Falcon Wing) doors because Tesla uses a crappy rubber trim. Can’t replace the trim. No, the entire window with new trim must be replaced.

Anyway, took 3.5 hrs (not bad) for both sides but when it was done, I noticed the left side didn’t look as well aligned as the right. When I shut the door it made a creaking sound but I thought it was the strut. Got home, did another walk around and found a big crack on top. Going back tomorrow to get fixed free of charge.

IMG_8936.jpegIMG_8869.jpegIMG_8957.jpeg

Had the typical Tesla SC experience today. Needed to replaced the top windows on my rear (Falcon Wing) doors because Tesla uses a crappy rubber trim. Can’t replace the trim. No, the entire window with new trim must be replaced.

Anyway, took 3.5 hrs (not bad) for both sides but when it was done, I noticed the left side didn’t look as well aligned as the right. When I shut the door it made a creaking sound but I thought it was the strut. Got home, did another walk around and found a big crack on top. Going back tomorrow to get fixed free of charge.

View attachment 127179View attachment 127180View attachment 127181
Yeah I've had it with mine. This last software update was the final straw for me. I'm sure they'll fix all the problems eventually, but this one was so bad all the crap I paid extra for is useless so WTF? I can't believe more people aren't complaining. I've heard very little about it.

or the entire Power grid before too many more people flood in and we start enjoying the daily blackouts in August and September.
Last I saw, some months ago, was the Tesla Energy's wait list for Megapacks (grid-level backup) was two years. Hawaii recently put a Megapack site online and it replaces a peeker-plant. They also have a lot of solar and wind generation which is much more useful with the grid backup.

My question is this, if these EV's are so super awesome, why do we need to incentivize people to buy them?
They shouldn't. That isn't government's role. Their role is infrastructure and they've even messed that up. When they made funding available for public charging infrastructure they required the use of a charging standard (CCS1) than less than half of the EVs in the US have and that all of the manufacturers are abandoning because they didn't like the politics of the CEO of the company that made the majority of the US' EVs.

The mass market, affordable EVs are coming and they'll get here fastest if the government just stays out of the way.

"We are going come to your house and drain some fuel out of your car occasionally. We may or may not replace it at some later time, but if we empty your tank we'll give you a credit on your next bill at whatever we determine the going rate to be."

Do you really think that this is an acceptable business model? Why or why not?
Who has that business model? Why would anyone sign up for that?

The proposals I've heard would have the utility paying a monthly credit to anyone who makes a percentage of their home batteries, or EV batteries, capacity available to the grid. The owner still gets to choose how much they'll release to the utility. Release more, get paid more.

Last I saw, some months ago, was the Tesla Energy's wait list for Megapacks (grid-level backup) was two years. Hawaii recently put a Megapack site online and it replaces a peeker-plant. They also have a lot of solar and wind generation which is much more useful with the grid.

This has nothing to do with Tesla. This factory only makes grid backup batteries.

This has nothing to do with Tesla. This factory only makes grid backup batteries.
If Tesla Energy has a two-year waiting list then the demand for such megapacks must be strong. Hence the need for the factor in your area.

Back