Possible slip up

John12

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
John17
Ok, so I have mild OCD, and I used Zoloft for about a year. I waned off of it with continual check ups with my prescriber. I’ve been off for years now. But recently, I’ve been having a lot of stomach issues, and my pcp prescribed me tofranil (which I was hesitant about, as I know it’s not one of the approved SSRI for a 1st class). Anyway, I ended up taking one singular pill, then thought better if it, and have documentation from my doctor that I gave up the medicine and was taking it for non-OCD related reasons. I’m just nervous that taking that one pill totally ruined my chances. Just trying to get an idea. I know it’s already an uphill battle, but I just want to make sure it isn’t over. Thank you.

Good Morning.
I won’t pretend to know the answer to your question, but man, that drug sounds awful.
I’m glad you had the sense to not take it.
I’m wondering why your PCP prescribed it for a stomach issue.

You have to be careful, doctors will prescribe anything. I always pull up the FAA medication database and I say how do you spell that and then I’ll be like FAA says ok for this and that. FAA says NO to that. You’d be surprised.

Ok, so I have mild OCD, and I used Zoloft for about a year. I waned off of it with continual check ups with my prescriber. I’ve been off for years now. But recently, I’ve been having a lot of stomach issues, and my pcp prescribed me tofranil (which I was hesitant about, as I know it’s not one of the approved SSRI for a 1st class). Anyway, I ended up taking one singular pill, then thought better if it, and have documentation from my doctor that I gave up the medicine and was taking it for non-OCD related reasons. I’m just nervous that taking that one pill totally ruined my chances. Just trying to get an idea. I know it’s already an uphill battle, but I just want to make sure it isn’t over. Thank you.
Your chances of what? Do you have a medical? Are you seeking one?

Yes, I will be seeking a 1st class medical in the future.
Your OCD is going to be the big issue. You should consult with a senior AME who works with "hard cases" to get an idea of what it will take for you to get a special-insurance medical.

Last edited:
Still following this thread, and still trying to understand why some doctor would prescribe tofranil for a “stomach issue.”

??

Still following this thread, and still trying to understand why some doctor would prescribe tofranil for a “stomach issue.”

??
https://www.med.unc.edu/ibs/wp-content/uploads/sites/450/2017/10/IBS-and-Antidepressants.pdf <--That was an interesting and slightly scary read.

I was about to call bs on that, too, but then I googled "tofranil for gi issues"...and there were a LOT of hits from medical sources about how they are now prescribing anti-depressants, including tofranil, for GI issues/IBS. Just another thing to watch out for, I guess?

??
I think that you'll find that a lot of prescriptions are written "off label", meaning that they were not FDA approved. But doctors have leeway in using their own judgment to determine if a drug is safe and effective, even though the FDA did not have evidence (sometime "yet") to support that. Ozempic is a good example - widely prescribed for weight loss when that was just a side effect of treatment for diabetes.

Not a doctor. Have had interesting employees over the year. OP might be leaving something out here unintentionally. Along the lines of "I get really stressed/wound-up/nervous at work/school/home and then my tummy hurts really bad". Which the doctor may hear as "primary cause person is stressed out easily by day to day normal things", and the patient may hear as "doctor said I should take anti-depressants for a tummy ache". Not trying to dismiss any of this as non-important or pick on anyone, just providing a possible fill in the blanks.

Not a doctor. Have had interesting employees over the year. OP might be leaving something out here unintentionally. Along the lines of "I get really stressed/wound-up/nervous at work/school/home and then my tummy hurts really bad". Which the doctor may hear as "primary cause person is stressed out easily by day to day normal things", and the patient may hear as "doctor said I should take anti-depressants for a tummy ache". Not trying to dismiss any of this as non-important or pick on anyone, just providing a possible fill in the blanks.

Hi AlbanyTom.

Yep. That’s pretty much where my mind was at when I asked the question.
I suppose I just wanted someone else to actually post it.

Hi AlbanyTom.

Yep. That’s pretty much where my mind was at when I asked the question.
I suppose I just wanted someone else to actually post it.
No. You wanted someone else to post it because it sounds ridiculous. No doctor has this thought process.

https://www.med.unc.edu/ibs/wp-content/uploads/sites/450/2017/10/IBS-and-Antidepressants.pdf <--That was an interesting and slightly scary read.

I was about to call bs on that, too, but then I googled "tofranil for gi issues"...and there were a LOT of hits from medical sources about how they are now prescribing anti-depressants, including tofranil, for GI issues/IBS. Just another thing to watch out for, I guess?
Anti-depressants are also issued for interstitial cystitis and other bladder issues.

@bbchien probably needs to chime in here, but isn't the WHY more of the disqualification than the actual medication - depending on what it is of course.

No. You wanted someone else to post it because it sounds ridiculous. No doctor has this thought process.
What thought process are you referring to? The words "no doctor" have broad implications.

I'm not sure what you think is ridiculous about a physician treating what he believes is the root cause of a patient's complaint. "Stomach issues" can certainly be psychosomatic and linked to anxiety. I would hope that *any* doctor would take his patient's entire history into account.

I'm not sure what you think is ridiculous about a physician treating what he believes is the root cause of a patient's complaint. "Stomach issues" can certainly be psychosomatic and linked to anxiety. I would hope that *any* doctor would take his patient's entire history into account.

Thank You, Lindberg.

Back