CAPS saves another

I'll have to talk to the guys here in Bellevue about this.

Good lord. Why be a passenger when you can be a pilot?
I'd use my training and fly it to the nearest airport.
If I can't glide to a runway, I would bet I can kick the rudder back and forth fast enough to propel me like a fish to wherever I need to go.

Sorry. I am not a Cirrus pilot anymore so I have 10 years of bashing on them built up inside.

If I can't glide to a runway, I would bet I can kick the rudder back and forth fast enough to propel me like a fish to wherever I need to go.

Sorry. I am not a Cirrus pilot anymore so I have 10 years of bashing on them built up inside.
What was super cool was the local news coverage was POSITIVE and they were absolutely enamored with the CAPS. it was refreshing to see.

What was super cool was the local news coverage was POSITIVE and they were absolutely enamored with the CAPS. it was refreshing to see.
I mean I know it is polarizing amongst pilots, but it is tough to argue in certain cases that CAPS saves peoples lives no doubt. I am sure if my engine went out, I would be happy to have a chute as a backup.

I mean I know it is polarizing amongst pilots, but it is tough to argue in certain cases that CAPS saves peoples lives no doubt. I am sure if my engine went out, I would be happy to have a chute as a backup.
I don't think it's tough to argue. With CAPS is always better than without. It's like airbags and seatbelts. The arguments against just don't stand the test of time & experience.

It's been a long time since Bellevue had an airstrip. Maybe Renton was out of gliding range.

Why would you buy an aircraft with a chute if you don’t plan on using it,in an emergency?

Hopefully no politician sees that and gets the great idea to introduce language requiring all aircraft to be equipped with CAPS.

Seems like it's a lot more possible when the engine is largely intact after a CAPS landing, no?

.............and we never get to find out why an engine apparently quit.

Let the insurance company figure it out. When the engine quits the plane belongs to them ... ;)

This is brilliant! We will hereby refer to this as the "Guppy protocol".

Based on FlightAware data, the plane was still on the initial climbout from RNT when it started losing altitude at 2250 MSL, and it had only been in the air a little more than two minutes at that point. It looks like it was between 3.5 and 4 miles from the airport, and started a turn back to the southeast. The ground speed started dropping about three minutes into the flight. Here's the immediately preceding METAR. I don't know the glide performance of the airplane.

KRNT 060053Z 33009KT 10SM CLR 07/M02 A3003 RMK AO2 SLP174 T00721017

N927CS.png

Last edited:
Back