Hundred Dollar Hamburger LLC - lost door

AV8R_87

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
OC
Not much of a mishap, pax door fell off (there's a "the front fell off" joke in there somewhere), but the registered owner entity name made me chuckle.

Iirc this is a common occurrence for the da40 if the door isn't latched

Was the minimum crew of 1 on board?

Last edited:
Iirc this is a common occurrence for the da40 if the door isn't latched
Seems to be. Here's a story from 2010:

Checklist,checklist ,checklist before takeoff,

It’s ok because the door landed outside the environment.

Checklist,checklist ,checklist before takeoff,

I fly and teach in these. Part of the problem is the closed but not secured position the rear door can be in and the fact the it’s pretty much impossible for the pilot to tell once in the left seat. Checklist before takeoff won’t help. The POH checklist lists it in the before start checklist, but that begins when the pilot is already in the seat too. The real last chance for the pilot flying to check is before getting in. Don’t even rely on rear seat passengers.

I always thought it was weird that there’s an annunciator for when the front canopy is even slightly open, something the pilot can easily see, and none for that back door.

...but it's still in an environment
No, there's no environment outside the environment.

I always thought it was weird that there’s an annunciator for when the front canopy is even slightly open, something the pilot can easily see, and none for that back door.
Sounds to me like an AD might be in order to install a door switch to warn the pilot.

"I always thought it was weird that there’s an annunciator for when the front canopy is even slightly open, something the pilot can easily see, and none for that back door."

The DOOR annunciator indicates if either the front canopy or rear hatch is unlatched.

"I always thought it was weird that there’s an annunciator for when the front canopy is even slightly open, something the pilot can easily see, and none for that back door."

The DOOR annunciator indicates if either the front canopy or rear hatch is unlatched.
You are right. I forgot. Speaking of forgetting..

I can see it easily forgotten. Assuming it works in one of these inadequate latching situations (I'll have to try it; have you?) I can see taxing around with the canopy in the cooling position, getting to the hold short line, closing the canopy and forgetting to recheck.

No, there's no environment outside the environment.
There is only one everything. If you put all the stuff together, and have not left something out, it all adds up to one.

I wonder if it was ignored or if the rear switch was faulty, then.
Could have been either...
You are right. I forgot. Speaking of forgetting..

I can see it easily forgotten. Assuming it works in one of these inadequate latching situations (I'll have to try it; have you?) I can see taxing around with the canopy in the cooling position, getting to the hold short line, closing the canopy and forgetting to recheck.
Oh yes, I've owned my DA40 for over 22 years. It is one of the items on the Diamond Maintenance Checklist for 100 Hour and Annual inspections. The mechanism is somewhat flimsy, though. The locking pintles press on thin sheet metal actuators that activate microswitches in the "B pillar" between the canopy and rear hatch. The pintles have to be completely engaged to activate the switches.

I've never unintentionally left either of the doors open, and am religious about using the checklists (the Before Start and Before Takeoff checklists have checking doors closed and latched, and the Before Takeoff checklist has an item to check the Doors light on the Caution and Warning Annunciator panel). I did have the Doors light illuminate once while flying, turned out to be a mis-adjusted microswitch (both doors were firmly latched).

The other thing to remember is that if the rear hatch unlatches in-flight, there is a secondary latch to prevent it from flying open. Most of the in-flight hatch losses occurred when a rear seat passenger attempted to re-latch the door. Guidance is to not touch anything, and land as soon as practicable.

The other thing to remember is that if the rear hatch unlatches in-flight, there is a secondary latch to prevent it from flying open. Most of the in-flight hatch losses occurred when a rear seat passenger attempted to re-latch the door. Guidance is to not touch anything, and land as soon as practicable.
Yep. It's even in the POH checklists.

Back