Is this legal???

Was he even PIC? Who knows.

I was thinking someone could write an app for these things and make the ultimate foggles, but I hear they struggle with small text like you'd find on instruments and navigators.

Imagine you could make a pretty great procedural trainer for folks studying to get a type rating, too.

Amazing how fast the internet filled up with people using these things stupidly. This is version one. Scary to think about what is going to look like in 20 years.

Considering you can actually see through the goggles it would be no different than looking at an Ipad. An argument could be made that its safer. I haven't worn one in person just watched the promo video. I'm not defending it but I believe foreflight already released an app to work with them.

If youtubers keep crashing it probably won't be for too much longer...

I can legally take a totally blind person and let them fly from the left seat, as long as I am qualified as PIC.

Considering you can actually see through the goggles it would be no different than looking at an Ipad. An argument could be made that its safer. I haven't worn one in person just watched the promo video. I'm not defending it but I believe foreflight already released an app to work with them.
The googles are not transparent. There are front facing cameras, a solid body, and projection displays on the inside.

If the battery dies, the electronics futz up, or any number of other failure modes occur, the world goes dark.

Not saying it's a good idea, but...
ForeFlight it talking about adding functionality so that you can wear the goggles while flying, and it will show you the ADS-B traffic... no longer 'Traffic not in sight' when it's clearly displayed. There was a Google Glass implementation of same at Oshkosh a decade ago... never made it to commercialization.

Paul

FAA STC Approved for the Boeing B737NG

Enhanced%20Flight%20Vision%20System%20-%20img-min.png

Not saying it's a good idea, but...
Why wouldn't it be legal?
And, why would you need a safety pilot?
If the goggles are a view-limiting device that prevents him from seeing outside visual references, then 91.109(c) requires the other seat be occupied by a qualified safety pilot. But I don't know if these things prevent him from seeing outside.

Last edited:
You know I could see a potential for this being used as a view-enhancing device instead. Synthetic vision is already a thing, doesn't seem like it would take much to adapt it. Obviously one would like to see a LOT of testing but what a game changer that would be for IFR ops or even VFR into IMC situations.

I believe they both do and don't depending on definition of visibility. My understanding is the lens is opaque, but there are forward facing cameras so you can see "outside".

Back