Youtube Pilot and her dad perish in TN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's time for this thread to be put on hold until more information becomes available. Or at least cleaned up a bit.

A future reader trying to learn from their mistakes will feel like reading through 500 unlighted tower NOTAMs trying to find the one TFR he's about to bust.

I think it's time for this thread to be put on hold until more information becomes available. Or at least cleaned up a bit.

A future reader trying to learn from their mistakes will feel like reading through 500 unlighted tower NOTAMs trying to find the one TFR he's about to bust.

zero reason to put this "on hold".

Fentynal is illegal and actively policed.
Beating a child with an ipad is illegal and actively policed.
Letting your kids run with a bad crowd is something that's taught against in school. So all non-homeschooled kids at least get some education on this.
Online grooming is illegal and actively policed.

So your examples consist of one thing that kids do get an education about and three things that are harmful, so we made them illegal and police them. In other words, there has been a government response to all of them. Should we assume that you are implying you would support gun education, maybe including some form of serious safety training? And that if guns are not secured, that the morons parent(s) be tried for manslaughter or whatever is appropriate for a given shooting?
So is speeding. Would you suggest manslaughter charges for a parent that did not lock up the keys of their M5 and their kid goes off the end of a runway at night killing himself and four other friends when he wrapped the car around a tree at 150mph+? I hope so since a car is just as lethal and legal as a pistol. I was in South Florida when this happened years back.

If were going to do 'thread drift' might as well go for it. :)

Did someone say drift

giphy.gif

So is speeding. Would you suggest manslaughter charges for a parent that did not lock up the keys of their M5 and their kid goes off the end of a runway at night killing himself and four other friends when he wrapped the car around a tree at 150mph+? I hope so since a car is just as lethal and legal as a pistol.
We made speeding illegal and police it. I'm ok with that.

I'd also be fine with starting by educating prospective firearms owners/users similarly to the education required of drivers and having insurance requirements similar to cars.

Like this:

@172andyou answered this statement

by writing this

Which was an unrelated statement having nothing to do with reading manuals. So why that response? Well,... :stirpot:

And so the downward spiral began.... :mad2:

Ah... thank you.

I'd also be fine with starting by educating prospective firearms owners/users similarly to the education required of drivers and having insurance requirements similar to cars.
As an avid hunter and competitive long range shooter I agree with you on the education. I received mine from parents who were avid hunters. Many people purchase firearms with zero education on safe operation of such. I don't think insurance will benefit many except the insurance market; the very few accidents caused by legal gun owners pale in comparison to the carnage caused by criminal use. That demographic would not be buying insurance.

As an avid hunter and competitive long range shooter I agree with you on the education. I received mine from parents who were avid hunters. Many people purchase firearms with zero education on safe operation of such. I don't think insurance will benefit many except the insurance market; the very few accidents caused by legal gun owners pale in comparison to the carnage caused by criminal use. That demographic would not be buying insurance.
I'll take the W on agreeing about education. :)

Have a great rest of your afternoon.

Many states do require a firearms safety class before obtaining a handgun permit, and a hunting safety class before obtaining a hunting license. I had to take both at different times, in CT.

Many states do require a firearms safety class before obtaining a handgun permit, and a hunting safety class before obtaining a hunting license. I had to take both at different times, in CT.
Did you find them to be useful and educational? Or simplified to the point of not having value? The ones I've seen didn't really provide much value. Happy to be shown some that do so we can use them as prototypes nation wide.

What is the right age range (roughly) to really teach firearm safety to kids? We have a 6 yr old girl and a 4 yr old boy and at this point we have talked about guns needing to be respected because they can be very dangerous and are for grown ups only but we lock everything up religiously. My daughter is the cautious type so I almost feel like I could start introducing a pellet gun or .22 short rifle under supervision but my son is much more the "hold my sippy cup and watch this" type so I'm thinking he needs to be 10+ for supervised firearm use.

Well, the drivers’ education clearly isn’t working, either.

What is the right age range (roughly) to really teach firearm safety to kids? We have a 6 yr old girl and a 4 yr old boy and at this point we have talked about guns needing to be respected because they can be very dangerous and are for grown ups only but we lock everything up religiously. My daughter is the cautious type so I almost feel like I could start introducing a pellet gun or .22 short rifle under supervision but my son is much more the "hold my sippy cup and watch this" type so I'm thinking he needs to be 10+ for supervised firearm use.
I guess it would be circumstantial. I started shooting a .22 at age 6, a .410 shotgun age 7 hunting squirrels/ducks with my father. For my 8th birthday I was given a highpower hunting rifle to shoot deer while hunting with my father or grandfather in Texas. By 8 years of age I was hunting small game with my .410 solo on family property. I advanced up in gauge/caliber as I got older. Interestingly, my father had one .22 mag pistol that I only saw him shoot once. We were forbidden to shoot it...and don't even ask to. Under the proper circumstances I think a 5 or 6 year old could be educated on firearm use and safety and shoot under adult supervision. This is not unusual in my neck of the woods. Those who were not raised around firearms would probably report me to CPS for child endangerment. :rolleyes:

Did you find them to be useful and educational? Or simplified to the point of not having value? The ones I've seen didn't really provide much value. Happy to be shown some that do so we can use them as prototypes nation wide.
The main takeaway from the hunting class was lots of "shoot or don't shoot" scenarios where they pause the video to ask the question of the students, then zoom in to reveal what was beyond the target. That had value (actually the whole class did as I didn't grow up hunting). The pistol class was less useful as I'd been around firearms for years, as had my wife and friend (we 3 were the only students). The only reason we took the class was to get a concealed carry permit. The instructor recognized that we already knew most of what he was teaching so it was rather informal. I imagine he would have been more rigorous with inexperienced students.

I taught my daughters to safely handle weapons and shoot before they were 10, just as my Dad taught me.

The first thing I'll say is: Trust your judgement. If you're worried about your son, wait (He's only 4, give him time).

After that, start small with a BB gun. You could even get an airsoft gun, which only shoot plastic BBs. These are so low-energy that it would be a challenge to damage something with one (not impossible, keep it outside). Use that to teach muzzle discipline and trigger discipline.

But you asked about age... go ahead and start with your daughter. You said that she's cautious (possibly easier to teach/less risky). There is no 'perfect age' to start. Depends on the child. So, again, trust your judgement.

@2-Bit Speed got it right (wonder where he learned that), but I'd add that even at age 4 you can start taking him to the range with you. Kids are curious, so take some of the mystery out of it. Let him see you shoot, and let him see what guns do.

The basic rules are important, and should be drilled in over and over and over, but even before they're ready for that at least start with this dialogue:
Q "What's the first thing you do when you pick up a gun?"
A "Open the action and check to see if it's loaded."
Q "What if you don't know how to check?"
A "DON"T PICK IT UP!"
Have that dialogue many times, make a game of it. Start it while driving, at the breakfast table, when you see a gun on a TV show, whatever. Then as the kid grows, add to it: treat every gun as if it's loaded, finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot, etc., and get them reciting it.

Speaking of YouTube videos...YouTube just demonetized Hoover's channel, 'Pilot Debrief' because he changed the account the payments were going to. He posted a 'short' about it this morning. WTH?

Attachments

• 20240207_214254.jpg
    20240207_214254.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20240207_214336.jpg
    20240207_214336.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 50
My daughter was shooting at age 6-7, closely supervised of course and taught the cardinal rules. She had zero issues other than the fact that she was shooting my dad’s old Marlin 22, which was a bit long for her to shoulder. I mainly wanted to take her shooting to allow her to feel and see the results of pulling a trigger, hoping that she’d be better informed in the event she was at a friends house and someone made the poor decision to play with a gun the parents left accessible (ie, she’d discourage it, or if that didn’t work, get out of the situation and tell an adult.

As it turned out, she loved shooting as well.

Nothing against toasters (besides the smoke alarm thing) but when gals like this go "Super Viral" or whatever you want to call it; then go do somthing fantastically stupid with an aircraft.......it's a double tap to professional female pilots everywhere. We only make up 5 percent of pro pilots, been stuck at that number for decades, and we don't need folks like this.

Nothing against toasters (besides the smoke alarm thing) but when gals like this go "Super Viral" or whatever you want to call it; then go do somthing fantastically stupid with an aircraft.......it's a double tap to professional female pilots everywhere. We only make up 5 percent of pro pilots, been stuck at that number for decades, and we don't need folks like this.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you. well, except the majority of her subscribers who thought what a great pilot she was and what a great job she was doing.

I'm currently teaching the first course in our Computer Science degree. It's unusual because it's not programming or theory, it's explicitly designed to introduce the student to the breadth and impact of computing. Among the topics are the legal issues (liability, employment contracts, copyright, constitutional - good old Section 230! and so on). In the legal topics I start with three quotes from various Supremes. This is one of my favorites:

•“I mean, what kind of a narcissistic society is it that people want to put out there, This is my life, and this is what I did yesterday? I mean … good grief. Doesn’t that strike you as strange? I think it’s strange.” – Antonin Scalia admitting he doesn’t have many Facebook friends.

This one is absolutely my favorite:

•“The court hasn’t really ‘gotten to’ email.” – Elena Kagan admitting that justices still communicate by writing memos on ivory paper.

I decided to watch a few of her videos. The gyrations of the horizon as she is supposedly flying the plane are sad. The video of her instructor continually performing cockpit tasks and even radio work as she struggles with flying straight and level are even more so.

It was hard to process I was watching a pilot with 400 hours.
As some here know, I fly a lot of kids in the EAA Young Eagle program. I'm always delighted most of these first-timers keep the airplane level and headed in the right direction usually with very few small reminders from me. Example, if I see them climbing or descending too much, I remind them where the nose of the airplane should be compared to the horizon (advantage of going east from Denver - all flat land!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back