Bonanza V35B down Angwin CA (2O3) fatal

Stan Cooper

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Stan Cooper
Angwin (2O3) is in Napa County.

Accident Beechcraft V35B Bonanza , 16 Jul 2021 (aviation-safety.net)

Kathryn's Report: Beechcraft V35B Bonanza, N112TW: Fatal accident occurred July 16, 2021 near Angwin Airport-Parrett Field (2O3), Napa County, California (kathrynsreport.com)

BeechTalk - BT - V-Tail Bo Down at 2O3 Angwin, CA

Pilot came in high and fast, bounced several times on landing, decided to go around without much runway left. He clipped trees struggling to gain altitude then apparently stalled and crashed.

Three fatalities. Very sad. R.I.P.

Last edited:
There is speculation in the BeechTalk thread that the owner's daughter, a newly minted private pilot without much experience, may have been pilot flying. There are a couple of contributors to that thread who know the family well.

I'm not drawing conclusions about this specific accident — that's the NTSB's job, and they can do it far better — but it is a good time to remember that rolling off the far end of the runway and hitting the fence at 10–20 knots usually won't injure anything but your pride.
???
Perhaps you have more info. I did not see anything relating to your hypothesis.

That just inspired me to post that reminder. As I wrote, I'm not making any guesses about this specific accident—that's the NTSB's job.

Clipping trees on a go-around from a relatively short runway suggests a stall & spin due to lack of airspeed. While the NTSB will have the final say, there is nothing wrong with making an educated guess based on witness reports. There are lots of useful things we can learn from such anectodal investigation. By the time NTSB comes up with their final report a year or two from now, no one will remember this accident or bother to look up the report. The training value will be vastly reduced.

By the time NTSB comes up with their final report a year or two from now, no one will remember this accident or bother to look up the report. The training value will be vastly reduced.

Agreed about the potential value of the investigations in this type of thread. I do note that on PoA in a fair number of cases people do note when the final report comes out.

The NTSB final is out. Search CAROL for N112TW to find it. Turns out there was a go-pro in the cockpit and NTSB has a complete record of the flight. If you look at the docket (linked in the final PDF), there's a link to a separate PDF analyzing the go-pro recording.

I'm not drawing conclusions about this specific accident — that's the NTSB's job, and they can do it far better — but it is a good time to remember that rolling off the far end of the runway and hitting the fence at 10–20 knots usually won't injure anything but your pride.

Oh, there are plenty of ways you can get killed barreling through a fence at 20 knots.

Thanks for the links/reminder @AviationObserver and @Jim_R

Angwin is one of my fave airports for a “short XC”- there are trails right by the strip, can hail a ride easily to/from calistoga or st Helena.
It’s a fun, but slightly more spicy landing experience for one unfamiliar with the field- it’s ridgetop, feels a bit akin to flying into Catalina to me. Can get up/downdrafts that one may not expect, and there’s a bit of a visual illusion too.

For now, I’m sad for the relatives. I’ll close by quoting Robert Zimmerman

Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind

Throw over yoke has got to be one of the worse components of Beech. I cant imagine it should be used for training, check, or IFR safety pilot currency flights. I’ve ridden along on those safety pilot flights and never felt comfortable with having to reach down pull a pin, swing the yoke, and take control if needed. You may as well be riding in the back seat pretty much helpless. One thing at altitude to switch pilots but certainly not near the ground. I would think any instructor, examiner, or rated pilot would feel the same and look forward to hear this panels view on this.

Below is a link to the analysis of the Go-Pro recording. Here are some things that stood out for me.

LSP had PPL with estimated total time 27 hours in all a/c.
73-yo RSP (LSP's father) acted more or less as instructor during the flight.
Neither pilot used a checklist for the entire flight.
GoPro analysis highlights fact that RSP manipulated yoke with two-handed grip most of the time.
It was the inexperienced LSP who called for the go-around after four large bounces, but more in the form of a question, "Go around?"

Below is a link to the analysis of the Go-Pro recording. Here are some things that stood out for me.

LSP had PPL with estimated total time 27 hours in all a/c.
73-yo RSP (LSP's father) acted more or less as instructor during the flight.
Neither pilot used a checklist for the entire flight.
GoPro analysis highlights fact that RSP manipulated yoke with two-handed grip most of the time.
It was the inexperienced LSP who called for the go-around after four large bounces, but more in the form of a question, "Go around?"

I couldn't stop shaking my head as I read that. I am baffled as to why this kind of thing is still happening, with all the resources and exemplary mistakes out there. Why are we still forcing landings when high, fast, and/or unstable? Go. Around.

Thanks for the links/reminder @AviationObserver and @Jim_R

Angwin is one of my fave airports for a “short XC”- there are trails right by the strip, can hail a ride easily to/from calistoga or st Helena.
There's also a steep stairway leading down to the campus of the college that operates the airstrip.

Last edited:
Here's a little observatory that I found while wandering one of the trails.

0301161323-00 rotated.jpg

I still cringe when I hear a Bonanza/Mooney/other slick single pilot claim they like to be a little faster on final? Why? So you can float into the next county before touching down? I don’t get it…
Never know, your engine may quit on final... :rolleyes::goofy:

I still cringe when I hear a Bonanza/Mooney/other slick single pilot claim they like to be a little faster on final? Why? So you can float into the next county before touching down? I don’t get it…
Watch SEPs land 2000’ down a 4000’ runway all day. Many are trainers ie have an instructor on board. Think the two (extra airspeed on final and training) are related. There’s barely an SEP out there that can’t be down and stopped at 1000’ presuming clear approaches. And 1/2 mile final ought to be enough. But none of this seems to be taught lately.

Per the report, the right-seater was flying the plane for the landing, was a 73 year old male, had 2278TT and ZERO in make and model. The left-seater, who apparently flew most of the en route part, was a 37 year old female with a PPSEL and 27 hours TOTAL time. Time in type wasn’t listed.

Attachments

• IMG_5647.png
    IMG_5647.png
    210.2 KB · Views: 20
I've flown in and out of here a number of times over the past 30 years. It's one of the few airports I just hate. The table top location, trees, sloping runway - and those damn buildings so close to side of the runway at the end. The whole site picture on approach and landing is disconcerting. I'm sure you get used to it if you fly out of here, but for a newbie the weird layout and perspective can cause confusion.

Per the report, the right-seater was flying the plane for the landing, was a 73 year old male, had 2278TT and ZERO in make and model. The left-seater, who apparently flew most of the en route part, was a 37 year old female with a PPSEL and 27 hours TOTAL time. Time in type wasn’t listed.
As somebody else already asked: Private certificate with 27 hours TT. How?

Is it just a reporting lag or error?

I still cringe when I hear a Bonanza/Mooney/other slick single pilot claim they like to be a little faster on final? Why?

Me too.

Most pilots that are fast on final say they like being fast because they feel it gives them more aileron control.

Then I would take them out in their plane, flying from the right seat, on final and on airspeed per POH, and touchdown on the numbers, everytime.

Some of those folks would get mad at me saying I was too slow to be safe.

Sounds like she didn't like flying with him at all. You can sense the frustration, but she never questioned his obvious mistakes. "Go around?" Tells me everything right there.

And he sounds like a belligerent ___________le. So he murdered her and the PAX.

It's a sad story, and it sucks. I'm thinking I'm glad I sent my CFI a Christmas card this year, and glad that the CFI's I've had over the years could actually fly. Just luck, maybe.

The gopro summary was tough to read. I read it as coming in way too fast, bouncing 4 times, attempting a go-around that ended up being slow flight into the trees at the end of the runway, in part because he didn't get the nose down to pick up airspeed, and maybe aggravated by bringing the flaps up too soon.

Too fast, sounds too arrogant, but a steep price to pay for it.

Back