L.A. weather

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
The NWS is predicting blizzards and 5' feet of snow.
FF says it's not even going to be near freezing those days.

NWS:
Due to the potential for strong winds and heavy snow, a BLIZZARD WARNING was issued for the #LACounty and #VenturaCounty mountains from 4 am Friday to 4 pm Saturday. Snow accumulations up to 5 feet and wind gusts in excess of 55 mph are expected.

Let’s see who’s right! :popcorn:

NWS:
Due to the potential for strong winds and heavy snow, a BLIZZARD WARNING was issued for the #LACounty and #VenturaCounty mountains from 4 am Friday to 4 pm Saturday. Snow accumulations up to 5 feet and wind gusts in excess of 55 mph are expected.

The blizzard part will be in the mountains, not at the beach! That said snow level is predicted to be 1500’.

FF is probably LAX which will remain above freezing indeed.

Sure, everyone knows how freezing and snow levels work. We just want to see LA buried in 5 feet of snow.
Finally, some real entertainment out of LA.
That .... is funny!

Weather babe I saw on a news story about this said it would be at or above 4000 ft.

Weather babe I saw on a news story about this said it would be at or above 4000 ft.
5 feet of snow at 4000 feet. Now that’s a heck of an overcast …………..

No one is going to be flying their bug smasher in this weather the coming weekend. They are looking at over a foot of snow at the Cajon Pass, so no one will be driving in or out for a day or two either. 5" rain at the coast and a blizzard 40-60 nm away. A very interesting topography.

Next 72 hours should be a wild ride in the mountains. I-5 and I-15 passes will almost certainly be closed for awhile. Been awhile since snow levels went this low. High desert (Lancaster/Palmdale/Edwards) might turn white for a bit. We have a few small peaks over 1,500' just west of Chino that could get a dusting too. Hoping to get airborne on Sunday to get some photos of the aftermath.

The blizzard part will be in the mountains, not at the beach!

Little surprised that there could be 5' of snow in the 'mountains' (high hills, really) which starts only 30mi from the beach - but nothing concerning in L.A.
I'm not savvy to weather in those parts.

Hills to the north go to over 9000'. They are often covered with snow, but not to the degree predicted! The classic LA picture is taken from the beach looking through palm trees back to snow covered mountains.

Little surprised that there could be 5' of snow in the 'mountains' (high hills, really) which starts only 30mi from the beach - but nothing concerning in L.A.
I'm not savvy to weather in those parts.

Mt Baldy, the tallest mountain in LA county is over 10,000 ft. That isn’t a “high hill” unless you’re a Sherpa. Tallest inside city limits is over 5,000 ft. The city has quite a varied terrain.

Last edited:
I was looking at the nearest high ground on a topo map...let's see; Saddlebacks, with the major prominence being 4K'. Well, I'll be interested to see what they get today and tomorrow.

5" rain at the coast and a blizzard 40-60 nm away. A very interesting topography.

That's what everybody in SoCal says. You can go surfing in the morning then snow skiing in the afternoon. I did it once.

83 and sunny in Mid TN yesterday.

It has warmed up to 47 deg here in Burbank this morning as rain pelts my hotel window.

FYI: convertibles are renting for cheap this week.

NWS:

Telling us it is going to get nasty here in Ventucky..... There may even be some snow in Ojai, but Lockwood Valley for sure.

See that guy to the left - the guy with the huge smile...

That's the look on my face when some guy in Texas thinks we have "high hills" :)

The highest mountain in the continental US is in SoCal.
Lots of Texans think a freeway overpass is a hill.

See that guy to the left - the guy with the huge smile...
That's the look on my face when some guy in Texas thinks we have "high hills" :)
The highest mountain in the continental US is in SoCal.
Lots of Texans think a freeway overpass is a hill.

I don’t have the Calvin thing going on, but that is, similarly, what I hear about Texas all the time.
Everyone thinks the Lone Star State is pancake flat, well here is a pic from my part of the state.
My playground includes peaks close to 9000’ (that is, again, Texas)
Out of respect for real mountains, I continue to refer to such high ground as “High Hills”.
No derision meant to Cali terrain :)

CB12EBA2-5663-4348-B55F-D06C0004AAF6.jpeg

Snow in sunny SoCal?
Dec. 1949 It snowed in Burbank. I was 11 and got to stay home from school. :D

Sometimes in the late 80's I experience snow in Santa Clarita.. I had a meeting at a business out there and they called me to say they're closed due to snow... I had to drive there to see this for myself...

I heard about the snowfall in 1949 from one of my neighbors who was a retired LA Sherrif...

image.jpg

METAR text: KOXR 251536Z 4SM -RA BR BKN006 BKN038 BKN070 07/07 A2988 RMK AO2 RAE1458B35 PRESRR P0000 T00720072

Here, let me translate this for you as I am looking out my window

Conditions at:
KOXR (OXNARD , CA, US) observed 1536 UTC 25 February 2023
Temperature: effing cold
Dewpoint: who cares, I'm not flying today[RH = 100%]
Pressure (altimeter): 29.88 inches Hg (1011.9 mb)- we're at sea level, what would you expect..
Winds: honking
Visibility: sucks ( 6 km)
Ceiling: can't see 3' in front of me let alone two feet on top if me.
Clouds: a lot of them
Weather: raining cats and dogs

We got snow a few miles east of Ontario (KONT). We're all outside standing here perplexed.

I took this photo climbing out of the LA Basin on Dec. 29, 2019. If memory serves, it's I-5 (or "the" 5, for my Southern California friends :D).

Dec 29, 2019.jpg

When I asked Google Maps for a similar route today, it told me to take Hwy 101, which follows the coast instead of climbing the mountains out of the LA Basin, so I'm guessing that I-5 is still snowed in.

Last edited:
I took this photo climbing out of the LA Basin on Dec. 29, 2019. If memory serves, it's I-5 (or "the" 5, for my Southern California friends :D).

View attachment 115283
Looks like approach (Northbound) to Gorman (a trip I make fairly often). IIRC the top of the pass is about 4400 ft elevation. Snow is not uncommon there in the winter.

Dave

Sometimes in the late 80's I experience snow in Santa Clarita.. I had a meeting at a business out there and they called me to say they're closed due to snow... I had to drive there to see this for myself...

I heard about the snowfall in 1949 from one of my neighbors who was a retired LA Sherrif...

image.jpg
I remember that one in the 80’s. It would have been late 80’s. Unless it before earlier. I was working the Midwatch at Burbank. Less than half of the day watch showed up that morning. I didn’t get home to Palmdale until about 7-8 that evening.

That is what I heard all the time in the six years I lived out there.
You’re the first person I ever heard say they did it. Congrats.

Surfed Huntington Beach in the morning, and Snow Summit Big Bear in the afternoon. I was a lot younger.

Pic from today from Huntington Beach looking up at the Saddleback Mountains. Those peaks are at about 5,600 feet.

IMG_0783.jpeg IMG_7704.jpeg

Back