Airplane Disassembly/Shipping Reccomendations

Sonny D

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Wataman
I am located in Hawaii and looking to purchase a single engine plane. As part of my budget and decisions I need to factor the packing and shipping from California to Hawaii. Can anyone recommend a shop on the west coast with experience? Since it is the primary way to get them here, Im sure there are several out there, and I want to use one that has experience. (And yes I know a ferry flight is an option) I know a lot will depend on the model of plane I purchase, but I would like to start the conversation.
Thanks.

Unless someone here has some direct experience, and there certainly may be someone, I would think a better/additional approach would be contact a local A&P and ask them.

Unless someone here has some direct experience, and there certainly may be someone, I would think a better/additional approach would be contact a local A&P and ask them.

Exactly. Whoever puts them back together should know best which companies are best at disassembly and packing.

Thanks. I asked the shop that I work with here and they just said to “shop around” and didnt have anyone specific. Outside of just calling 100 different shops in California, I figured I’d throw it out and seek recommendations. We also get a lot of planes shipped in from outside the US (Aus, South America) but the import paperwork seems like such a hassle.

Cannot answer your Q, but congrats. Flying over the Hawaiian islands is one of the highlights of my GA experience.

Cannot answer your Q, but congrats. Flying over the Hawaiian islands is one of the highlights of my GA experience.
Thanks. Im a 135 Captain, flying to all the islands, and I love my job. We have amazing flying all year round.

And yes I know a ferry flight is an option
In my experience, if the aircraft can be flown that would usually be the 1st option.
Im a 135 Captain, flying to all the islands,
If you want to disassemble and ship, then use your existing contacts in Hawaii and get recommendations for a good shipping expeditor service with aircraft experience to move your aircraft home.

Doesn’t really need to come from California if it’s going into a container anyways.

Depends on the plane. Twice I've disassembled my Navion and trailered it cross country. Other planes are probably not as easy. It's not a big thing to demate the Navion fuselage from the wings.

Have you located and purchased the airplane or are you trying to locate a disassembled and shipper first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoever you choose for shipping make sure you see and check to ensure your plane will be insured while under their care. There was a well known shipping company for Vans RV’s that moved a lot of kits and finished/disassembled airplanes around. They had an accident with one of their trucks and trailers and it came out that although the truck was insured, the contents in the trailer was not. There were a few owners that ended up with nothing after the accident. Don’t take the shippers word for it. Ask and get a copy of their policy showing your plane is insured.

Depends on the plane. Twice I've disassembled my Navion and trailered it cross country. Other planes are probably not as easy. It's not a big thing to demate the Navion fuselage from the wings.

Actually, I just bought a Navion Rangemaster H. Very happy with it so far.

Have you located and purchased the airplane or are you trying to locate a disassembled and shipper first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just purchased a Navion Rangemaster.

I would think you start with finding a shop in Hawaii with experience in receiving and reassembling airplanes, they would know who the good shippers are.

I borrowed a cradle from Jeff Bontz (Classic Air Service) in Nebraska. Remove all the fairings between the wings and fuselage and the interior stuff. Remove the cheek plate behind the left exhaust. Label and disconnect all the wires there. Disconnect the fuel lines. Put some cradles under the wings. Disconnect the six bolts holding the wings to the fuselage. Lift the fuselage off the wings and remount it on the cradle.

Now unbolt all those bolts holding the two wings together. I built the wing cradles per Jeff's instructions out of 2x6 and pieces of carpet. You're going to want to fix the flaps and ailerons in place before moving it far. Take off the horizontal stabilizers and you can slide those under the tail behind the cradle.

It all fits nicely on a 24' flatbed trailer.

Back