0-320-E2D oil change question

alanbreck

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AlanB
Looking to learn how to do my own oil change ... i know what oil filter I need, but is there a crush washer or gasket or something that will need to be replaced under the oil drain plug before reinstalling?

Thanks.

Yes, there is supposed to be a crush washer under the drain. I would look to see if you can have your mechanic install a quick drain at the next opportunity. Definitely makes it easier to change oil.

You probably have a quick drain. It’d be uncommon to not have one installed already. You will need a crush gasket for the oil screen. Lycoming parts manual is free online and easy to use. Consider purchasing a tool to cut open the old oil filter so that you can check for contamination. There’s a thread on here that describes the process in detail.

I think it doesn’t have a crushwasher under the drain. My recall is a 1/4 ( ?)pipe at the drain. There is a crush washer for the oil screen though. A torque wrench and basic safety wire tools and skills are also needed. Cut wire and use care to assure you do not tear out

upload_2022-11-21_9-36-59.png

upload_2022-11-21_9-38-7.png

Seen from right aft side. The plug on the left will drain most of the oil. 1/2" pipe plug. No crush gasket. Don't go tightening it too much; it's easy to crack the case. It should be lockwired. Use a bit of sealant on the threads, after the old stuff is cleaned off. DON'T USE RTV OR TEFLON TAPE.

Reactions: Jdm
You will need a crush gasket for the oil screen.
Let's clarify that the crush gasket goes under the plug for the *suction* screen. If your engine already has a spin-on oil filter as it seems, from the context of your question, then there's no *pressure* screen any longer... the oil filter takes the place of it.
One is supposed to clean the suction clean at every oil change, but it's safe to say that many oil changes are accomplished without checking the suction screen. It's the fussiest part of the work, and you'll want someone experienced giving you a hand the first time to avoid expensive mistakes.

Paul

Back