Another strange day in the little yellow Vag-A-Bond

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
Yesterday was my first test flight after a long (3 months and 7 days), very expensive annual.
The plane is fine, it flies great.
But apparently my mechanic added stealth technology to the plane.
I am no longer visible to the radar at my home airport.
Flying a straight in approach from 10 miles out, starting at 4,500 ft, they insisted they could not see my clothe covered, metal framed airplane on radar.
This is now the 3rd airport where this has happened to me.
Any radar experts out there with an explanation why this is happening?
I really don't want to put in an electrical system, just so I have a transponder and adsb.

It’s likely caused by signal filtering by the receiver or software. You could build simple RADAR reflector to boost your RCS to overcome any signal filtering.

Yesterday was my first test flight after a long (3 months and 7 days), very expensive annual.
Flying a straight in approach from 10 miles out, starting at 4,500 ft, they insisted they could not see my clothe covered, metal framed airplane on radar.
I really don't want to put in an electrical system, just so I have a transponder and adsb.

no transponder or adsb you say? They may see you as a primary target but without a data tag they can’t decipher anything about you. Therefore they don’t know who or what you are.

Oh my gosh, the controller will need to look out the window and maybe use their binoculars. The old guys have no problem doing this, the young guys - I'm not so sure.

And this started just after the Annual? What are the 3 Airports? Are they all in the same Approach Control's airspace using the same Radar.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, the controller will need to look out the window and maybe use their binoculars. The old guys have no problem doing this, the young guys - I'm not so sure.

10 miles out in a cub? That would be difficult to see even with binoculars

And this started just after the Annual? What are the 3 Airports? Are the all in the same Approach Control's airspace using the same Radar.
This has been going on since I got the plane.
Danbury (KDXR) and Lebanon (KLEB) were the first two airports where this happened. That was pre-annual.
I've never had this happen at KPOU until post-annual.
I really don't car, it's just weird.

no transponder or adsb you say? They may see you as a primary target but without a data tag they can’t decipher anything about you. Therefore they don’t know who or what you are.
He said he was talking to them. @Shepard , how did things happen before the Annual? Did you call requesting Radar Service and they would identify you and say 'Radar Contact?

He said he was talking to them. @Shepard , how did things happen before the Annual? Did you call requesting Radar Service and they would identify you and say 'Radar Contact?

With no transponder I never bother asking for flight following or radar services.
What typically happens is I call in to announce I'm in bound and then I spend the rest of the down hill ride answering where I am and my altitude until I get 2 or 3 miles out and they can eyeball me out the window.

This has been going on since I got the plane.
Danbury (KDXR) and Lebanon (KLEB) were the first two airports where this happened. That was pre-annual.
I've never had this happen at KPOU until post-annual.
I really don't car, it's just weird.
Ok. All towered Airports. So I assume you are just talking to the Tower. It's possible POU and DXR are getting their Radar from different Radar Antenna's. I can think of nothing that could have happened to the plane that could cause this unless a metal prop was replaced with wood or their was something reflective in the plane that they took out. Maybe they made some change to their Radars and the timing with your Annual was just a coincidence. Temperature Inversions can affect Primary Radar returns. Another possibility is a Controller/Technicion pushed some wrong buttons inhibiting Primary Radar on his scope.

ATC radar operates in the 2.7 GHz to 2.9 GHz frequency band, which is just below S-Band which has a low end at 2.9 GHz. A passive marine radar reflector that covers X-Band as well as S-Band installed inside the fuselage behind the passenger cabin should light you up on ATC radar. They usually sell for around $350 and weigh about eight pounds. The Echomax 230 should work for you; it's cylindrical, 24" tall and 10" in diameter.

Echomax EM230BRM 24 x 9.65 in. Passive Radar Reflector - SOLAS & MED - Walmart.com

That's the only thing that's been removed from the plane, so.........
I would have thought my new stainless steel exhaust system would blind them from afar.
Well gee. There was a Radar Reflector in the plane and they took it out? I dunno about different reflectivity of different metals. I doubt it matters here. But size and shape can have effect

Not so many control towers or so much radar at little grass strips. Just sayin'.

ATC radar operates in the 2.7 GHz to 2.9 GHz frequency band, which is just below S-Band which has a low end at 2.9 GHz. A passive marine radar reflector that covers X-Band as well as S-Band installed inside the fuselage behind the passenger cabin should light you up on ATC radar. They usually sell for around $350 and weigh about eight pounds. The Echomax 230 should work for you; it's cylindrical, 24" tall and 10" in diameter.

Echomax EM230BRM 24 x 9.65 in. Passive Radar Reflector - SOLAS & MED - Walmart.com

That seems a bit pricey and heavy. Inside the plane a reflector won't need the wx protection it needs exposed on a boat at sea.

One of these
https://www.defender.com/product.js...MIkO-mh_fY-gIVUMqGCh1p4ggTEAQYBSABEgLr1fD_BwE
would probably do as well.

That seems a bit pricey and heavy. Inside the plane a reflector won't need the wx protection it needs exposed on a boat at sea.

One of these
https://www.defender.com/product.js...MIkO-mh_fY-gIVUMqGCh1p4ggTEAQYBSABEgLr1fD_BwE
would probably do as well.
I saw that, but don't know if the surface area is big enough for S-Band, which is much lower in frequency (longer wavelength) than the prevalent marine radar which is X-Band (8 - 12 GHz). Maybe something similar to the Davis reflector, but with larger diameter discs.

Last edited:
I saw that, but don't know if the surface area is big enough for S-Band, which is much lower in frequency (longer wavelength) than the prevalent marine radar which is X-Band (8 - 12 GHz). Maybe something similar to the Davis reflector, but with larger diameter discs.

Well, S-band is about 12cm max wavelength, and the radius of that reflector is about 15cm, so that seemed to me like it should work okay, but I'm not a radar geek.

It'd be pretty easy to make a larger one to play with, though. Three discs cut out of cardboard, covered with Reynold's Wrap, and slotted so they'd slide together, held together with a little tape.

It’s likely caused by signal filtering by the receiver or software. You could build simple RADAR reflector to boost your RCS to overcome any signal filtering.
We used these in offshore fishing so bigger boats saw our profile and didn't run us over when we stayed overnight 60 miles offshore in the canyon very effective

If they removed a Davis reflector and they could see you before, I'd just buy another and put it back in.

The name of the game is having a big radar cross section, and the attached 2007 test shows the Davis scored poorly compared to other more sophisticated reflectors. The test was financed by the UK government Marine Accident Investigation Branch.

Attachments

• Radar-Reflector-Test-2007.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Whoa… I’m exhausted. Trying to follow posts like these make me forget ALL my troubles. Freakin hilarious. Just wanted to say thanks!

Could you do the same thing by wrapping aluminum foil around a cardboard cylinder? Duct Tape, aluminum foil and cardboard are way less expensive if they would work. What do you radar experts say? Will it work?

Could you do the same thing by wrapping aluminum foil around a cardboard cylinder? Duct Tape, aluminum foil and cardboard are way less expensive if they would work. What do you radar experts say? Will it work?
Not an expert, but a corner reflector will give back a much stronger reflection than a cylinder which will, essentially, just reflect back along a fairly narrow line.

Not an expert, but a corner reflector will give back a much stronger reflection than a cylinder which will, essentially, just reflect back along a fairly narrow line.

This is a really good video. Shepherd, you could build a corner cube reflector from 4 cardboard boxes with aluminum foil on three internal sides. 2 sides and the bottom of the top. I would think 8 x 8 would be good enough. I imagine you could build it for about 10 bucks if you got used boxes from a grocery store.

Back