REAL TALK....how many of you are gonna hit the sims to practice engine out aquatic landing?

midcap

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
midcap
Seems to me that it would be a vastly important skill level to have if you travel around places where there is a lot of water. Or In my case, The LA TO KISM Mouse Run

They have a full motion sim in NOLA from what I understnad. I wonder if they would be cool with that?

Been there, done it. I was in the Flight Safety S-76 sim at PBI grinding it out. We were doing approaches in the NY area. I was PF. The sim instructor gave us a dual engine failure in the soup. Broke out in MVFR. I saw the Statue of Liberty at nine o'clock, heading N. Good graphics. We weren't expecting it. I blurted out for the Non-flying pilot to deal with passenger evacuation, and I would get the rotor braked. The emergency floats got armed and I "blew" them. We were in the water near were Capt Sully landed.
This was a very practical exercise because my outfit did a lot of over water work.
I bet that Sim in NOLA trains a lot of pilots that work offshore.

I have done water landings. Only difference is the engine(s) were running and the water was frozen...

Way back when, I trained in "Bigfoot", a Bell 206B with Air Cruiser rubber floats. Many, many practice auto rotations into ponds, lakes, canals, etc. Lots of fun. As everyone knows, there is no such thing as a FAA helicopter float endorsement. You could just jump in and head for some water. I wouldn't advise it though. Helos are a little kookey.

Last edited:
Seems to me that it would be a vastly important skill level to have if you travel around places where there is a lot of water. Or In my case, The LA TO KISM Mouse Run

They have a full motion sim in NOLA from what I understnad. I wonder if they would be cool with that?

I don't even understand what you're asking. Are you asking if a simulator place would let you practice landing on water? Sure, why wouldn't they? You have money, they'll likely let you do just about whatever you like.

Are you asking if we're all going to rush out and do it? Why would we? I can't imagine any simulator does a realistic job of recreating the physics of landing any particular model of landplane on water. It seems to me that the most important part of the whole event starts the instant the plane touches the water, which I doubt it's programmed to replicate very well, so I'm not sure what the value would be. Let alone not being able to replicate the whole "getting out of an airplane in the water" part.

Been there, done that. In an actual flying boat getting my seaplane rating:D

No way a sim can duplicate the dynamics of a fixed gear plane hitting the water or for that matter, retract gear.

Are you planning on a direct route through the adis?

I have more pressing dangers to train for.
Good point. The time I spend training should be focused on the things more likely to happen. Or more importantly, training to avoid getting myself into a dangerous situation. Compared to external factors, the greater danger is probably the PIC making a wrong decision.

I can't see myself ever flying over water like that. But for those who fly over water a lot - sure.

wouldn't have a choice if I were flying direct
I'd hug the coastline if it were me. In fact, I've made the flight from NO to Tampa and that's just what I did.

dang,, how rough they had the sea set 10-15'? :eek:

I’m not sure what they had it set on. Tried a couple of autos to the pad and couldn’t do it without a red screen.

yeah that must be damn near impossible, those pads aren't very big

If I would have had a few more cracks at it, I could’ve pulled it off but this was just goofing around after the official training was done. Just didn’t have enough time.

We try and hit particular spots on the runways in the sim and after awhile can get pretty accurate but the platform is obviously different. Water is pretty useless with trying to identify closure rates / altitudes. Even the RADALT doesn’t do well with water and waves. So basically it’s using only the platform as a visual reference. Like trying to hit a postage stamp.

The King Air 350 sim at CAE Dallas has an aircraft carrier you can try to land on!

I was successful...

FvKkdzUHTpknOrwFHrQhkYr4WcdtDcQk-x-gSzJ2SJI6kRt_n80ZXya4IFSV8pFHjq2axqd5CjAKpqsrV-r_lYjba9tOE2V2bswVYmeT4m5TQVkjy0TOkjRO1Cjt3-lhown2mKEhGJyhDJGPtB0s0vY-5gjukQirnwJtcOu-lXBZLokvvZcAfWKOyXI9iHZcN8nQVQrk05ixgkFO0hjwXdtGYf7WdfSe_dDjQFJHaVEcl2u3SSgxm21miCMmNMHB4modQoRVvjsMHS9uzT_VFW_Td05h2GktVsHoj6zVWq2u5WK3qh-ePcTHmzEykudXHDpUYPsNw3BxbLKCTg62312ZwXUDfkD2yixbE_qvAPIhe_bC0h7Gp_Y-kkgPgQ_UF1Y3ntd5baAyqE1FyME2GmjcDCpASRrvzpa5NIcRuHg2hIuQ2kPz-JprtiaFH_lvdjZuKOepH_5HMXEGTUa-lKQFa4H_fdVludglDeKWw1WPsyqsoE1kJfZGaM-HQvjR1MLoqLhofKRBUK9tDiIR0LuKlWYq5uwYUTorkRnWpalapb1l6kPb-bBsu2hwaTqyuuHDCpJ8IjRXCv6aH-AumzOcIUfNSDD0lCqnXPEd1-m-ma7lTwcZx2FrjDknX_CIcGSlcf-5bUVRyVyTHwejzrlgKdWA8Fe7aUGJQ7z5LdQunhYJMc1wTCEYjkEnJPKxyVN62Nql7YQZfAAKxM2txE8R8PjWdHDd8Hwk9mxIbcq0gq9Z1I_V-TDNuuzuDuvM2gVSpRr64tz0Yb-r1QiSF_YZcUwGD_PolyVxwg=w1204-h903-no

Can it really be real talk when talking about something not real?

There's a huge quality of life (or death) question being missed here. How likely is a speedy rescue? Do I want to survive the "water landing" to perish to the sea state/wildlife?

There's a huge quality of life (or death) question being missed here. How likely is a speedy rescue? Do I want to survive the "water landing" to perish to the sea state/wildlife?

that's why you bring the life raft and fishing poles

Back