Skip Oil filter change

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
The shortage of oil filters does anyone skip the oil filter change at 50 hr, change the oil but not the filter. Then go to 100hr before changing it and the oil and cutting it open.

I’ve been hearing that more and more lately.

Still got the original screen so no filter to change for me. If filters are unobtanium what else would you do? Not fly? Not change the oil?

I've been running Swift fuel so that I can run longer between oil changes. 50 hours vs. 35.

I bought a case of them. So you can thank me for hording. Seemed prudent these days and cost a bit less (per filter) and didn't take that long to get them.

At the very least, just buy two and replace the one on the shelf every time you do an oil change. Should get one in time for the next change unless you are flying a whole lot.

At the very least, just buy two and replace the one on the shelf every time you do an oil change. Should get one in time for the next change unless you are flying a whole lot.

Not today you won’t.

At the least change the oil on schedule

I know of a medium-sized flight school that's doing 50/100 now due to filter supply issues.

I've done every-other oil change filters on my cars for some time. Change oil at 3,000, filters at 6,000.

I've not done this with a plane before, but I certainly see the motivation when there's no/very few filters on the shelf.

I bought a case of them. So you can thank me for hording. Seemed prudent these days and cost a bit less (per filter) and didn't take that long to get them.

The ones for our lances are still relatively available. I got some in about 3 weeks. I've always been in the habit of keeping a years worth (3-4) on hand, which has been handy recently. The skyhawk/ archer filters are a real problem. Local flight school switched most of their archers to the washable ones, but couldn't get enough for the whole fleet, so 2 or 3 planes are now on the 50/100 plan. Makes me a little nervous not being able to inspect the filter every 50 hours.

That doesn't seem like a very good idea to me, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

The ones for our lances are still relatively available. I got some in about 3 weeks. I've always been in the habit of keeping a years worth (3-4) on hand, which has been handy recently. The skyhawk/ archer filters are a real problem. Local flight school switched most of their archers to the washable ones, but couldn't get enough for the whole fleet, so 2 or 3 planes are now on the 50/100 plan. Makes me a little nervous not being able to inspect the filter every 50 hours.
When I bought the case I had more trouble finding 103's than I did 108's or 110's. But things change, might not be the case right now.

I still have a pair of 103-1s, a CFO-100, and a 110-2 and no use for them in my hangar if someone wants em. Happy to sell @ spruce price and ship now, and I'll turn em into the 108-2s that I can use when they ship in January :D

I still have a pair of 103-1s, a CFO-100, and a 110-2 and no use for them in my hangar if someone wants em. Happy to sell @ spruce price and ship now, and I'll turn em into the 108-2s that I can use when they ship in January :D
I just ordered 3 and got them in 2 days

Can't imagine oil filters are terribly dirty on most aircraft anyway. It's along the lines of why most boats don't have air filters, there's just not a ton of dust in the environment in which they operate. Unless you operate in a really dusty environment or your engine is making metal, I doubt the filter is at the ragged edge of usefulness after 50 hours.

I think for me, in seriousness, the question isn't how much dirt is it trapping, it's "how soon do I want to know if my motor is making metal?" -- 100 hours seems like a long time to get meaningful warning.

If there was a way to inspect the element without destroying the can, that'd be a victory for re-use. Someone should come up with some sort of fine mesh screen that can be inspected periodically. :D

Can't imagine oil filters are terribly dirty on most aircraft anyway. It's along the lines of why most boats don't have air filters, there's just not a ton of dust in the environment in which they operate. Unless you operate in a really dusty environment or your engine is making metal, I doubt the filter is at the ragged edge of usefulness after 50 hours.
For me it’s just the fact that in any other type of motorized machine, I can come to a stop whenever something fails to work as designed. In the airplane, I can’t, thus removing, inspecting and replacing at the appropriate interval intrigues me significantly more. :)

For me it’s just the fact that in any other type of motorized machine, I can come to a stop whenever something fails to work as designed. In the airplane, I can’t, thus removing, inspecting and replacing at the appropriate interval intrigues me significantly more. :)

There's no reason you can't come to a stop whenever something fails to work as designed in an airplane, it just may not come to a stop in a place you want to be!

Not today you won’t.
100 hours a year seems to be on the high end around here. That’s a six month lead time. Even at 200 hours, its 3 months. It might be bad, but I don’t think you’re trying if you can’t find one oil filter in three months.

What is up with that oil filter shortage in the first place? Don't tell me we're running out of filters because of COVID. Come on, we got the next virus already. This whole COVID excuse BS has to stop at some point.

Local flight school switched most of their archers to the washable ones

What are these washable ones? Can I legally install them on the Cherokee? Which one do I need? I checked the link referenced above but none of them explicitly say that they're for use on aircraft.

What is up with that oil filter shortage in the first place? Don't tell me we're running out of filters because of COVID. Come on, we got the next virus already. This whole COVID excuse BS has to stop at some point.
Part is supposedly a supply chain issue with sourcing the materials, the other, and what I believe to be the real problem, is that Champion made a decision to move production and it didn't work out, so they tried to move back to their old production facility and that put them at the back of the queue. So because they aren’t producing like they were, Tempest is having to fill the void. Add the freak out of people trying to hastily buy and now they’re not able to keep up with the demand.

What are these washable ones? Can I legally install them on the Cherokee? Which one do I need? I checked the link referenced above but none of them explicitly say that they're for use on aircraft.
There are still a lot of our raw material suppliers (elastomer and adhesives/solvents) claiming force majeure and limiting purchase quantities and/or increasing prices seemingly every time we place an order. It's crazy, still.

I think you can go every other oil change to change the filter on a known healthy engine.
I am not suggesting this for a high performance engine or engines not flown a lot.
You can remove it and let it drain a bit so you do change all the oil if you want to reuse it.
I do oil analysis and get that back in a week or so to help track metal in the oil.
I did run oil and filter to close to 100 hours in my last 0-320 right before I returned it as a core. I sent a oil sample for analysis and the metal numbers were all within averages.
The silicon numbers were from new valve cover gaskets...
IMG_8282.JPG

I fly a lot and have been thinking of extending my 55 hr oil changes to maybe 65-70 hours?

I cut and inspect every filter at oil change. Luckily I have never found metal. I did find a few paint chips after reinstalling 4 cylinders on my old engine.

I have 2 more filters and then I am switching to Challenger reusable filters. I have used these type filters on racing engines. It is a very good filter.

E6E4B74D-1F80-42FD-8D38-104FD7BEC607.jpeg 40E2E0BA-7BFA-4D38-A726-0306231FAF00.jpeg

Last edited:
Changing the filter every other oil change is what it says to do in my zero turn mower manual

Change oil at 3,000, filters at 6,000.

What cars and what oil are you using that you change every 3,000 miles??????

My shortest change interval is 8,000 miles.

I change the oil and filter every 3000 in my '71 Volvo. I attribute that to the fact I have 570,000 miles on the original engine.

Which one would fit a Lycoming?

None, I don’t think, though you could check. They are automotive. I used to use one in my racecar. Easy to check if something seems off or if you want to feel good.

What cars and what oil are you using that you change every 3,000 miles??????

My shortest change interval is 8,000 miles.

Mobil one oil says something like they guarantee 15,000-20,000 miles between changes. I guess as long as you have enough oil that won’t be a huge problem. Anything else is bad luck.

Back