Planning a trip to Airventure 2022

My only hope of going would be to drive the 1300 miles and attempt to stay at a hotel far from OSH. I would then drive in each day.

Sounds like lots of pain, but the odds are better than either flying in or camping.

…..but the odds are better than either flying in or camping.

How so? The risk of the field closing to aircraft camping or parking due to capacity is really only on Mon and Tue. After that I haven’t seen aircraft camping closed later in the week as folks start departing opening up space. As for Scholler and car/RV camping the only issue I’ve ever seen there was during Sloshkosh when the roads got so bad they closed entry into the grounds for a day or so to let things dry out.

Last edited:
If you go somewhere in your car, be sure to mark where you parked otherwise someone will try to camp there.
Set my tent up. Parked car next to it. Drove car to a restaurant. Came back, kind folks next to me said, "Be sure to mark where you parked your car, someone tried to set their tent up there." They used some of their yellow rope to mark off my spot for me while I was gone.

Actually, driving in isn't all that bad. Unless you want to try to get out as soon as the airshow ends, it's relatively painless. I drove in the first year.

Anyone have any issues with receiving their wristbands in the mail beforehand via the Express Arrival Program?

Any chance you would you be able to get new ones onsite at Airventure for free if they never showed up in the mail?

You can get replacements if they don’t arrive, if you lose them, if you leave them on the kitchen table or, like happened to hundreds last year, the ink is dissolved by sunscreen.

We don't bother buying wristbands ahead of time anymore--we just get them when we arrive. For us the tiny discount isn't worth getting locked into the show in case something crops up and we can't go.

Yep, I'm not convinced that the prebuy saves either time or money. Things work pretty smoothly on site. Of course, I've not paid for camping or wristbands in years. Something about volunteering in excess of 100 hours every year.

I received my wristbands last week!

Also, I saw on UWO's Airventure website mentioning they recommend bringing a fan for the non-A/C dorms. I plan on packing light and would avoid getting a fan if possible. Does it get quite warm in the rooms at night and do the windows open? Anyone have experience sleeping in those non-A/C rooms?

Also, I saw on UWO's Airventure website mentioning they recommend bringing a fan for the non-A/C dorms. I plan on packing light and would avoid getting a fan if possible. Does it get quite warm in the rooms at night and do the windows open? Anyone have experience sleeping in those non-A/C rooms?
I've only stayed in the dorms once and yes it can get stuffy. No real cross breeze so it takes a while to cool off from the sun of the day.

I haven't but a friend of mine did about five years ago and still talks about it! He was miserable. Ended up buying a fan the next day and you can leave them behind for the students if you want.

Slept int the non-AC dorms last year, had a little clip on fan that I used and it worked great, it was small enough to pack easily. Though, I will say I am from TX and love the heat, but a little breeze works wonders. This year, I sprung for the AC dorms.

Because of my volunteer activities I get in for free! I'm supposed to get camping for free, but I think I have to pose as Ariel to do it. Don't ask.

Ah, the memories! It was super hot my first OSH, and we were in the non-AC dorms. We laid on the floor to cool off well into the night before moving to the still warm bed! Find someplace to grab a fan after you get there! The windows did open then (1990's), but that doesn't get the hot air out.

Never been to this airventure thing and never plan on going. Is there a good compelling reason to go? Whats all the excitiment about?.

You're new so I don't know enough from your posts to gauge your level of sarcasm but I'm guessing you're being facetious being that you're an airline pilot, but I'll play along anyway. If you don't know what it is how can you say you never plan on going? Simply Google AirVenture and find out, IF you really don't know, which I doubt.

Last edited:
I only entered the aviation world a couple of years ago, and have never been able to go to Oshkosh. But besides the stuff you listed, there's also airshows, awesome planes to look at, and cool vendors to buy from (and sometimes with awesome discounts!), among other activities. It's not very often that you can go to a huge party where everyone would be happy to talk airplanes. :)

A good rundown and a little history of what’s happening this year…

Sorry if it came off sarcastic, that wasn't my intent. I just know it's a plane/pilot get together in Wisconsin. People fly their planes in from around and have meetings and eat and things like that.

Well you nailed it -- it's just a little fly-in (10,000+ planes) with some aviation enthusiasts (40,000+ campers and 500,000+ attendees for the week) and some venders/organizations (800+ from Air Wisconsin Airlines to Zenith Aircraft Company and some companies/orgs you might have heard of: ALPA, American Airlines, Boeing, Garmin, FlightSafety, GE Aviation, Goodyear, NBAA, and United Airlines, to name just a few).

It's really kind of a snoozer if you ask me. I go just to get some brats, cheese curds, and Spotted Cow.

Last edited:

There are little battery-powered camping fans if you want to just have a breeze blow on you. Go to Amazon and look up camping fans.

To move serious amounts of air, you'll need something much bigger.

You can always walk over to Target and buy a fan. Or, if coming in the latter part of the week, get one of the fans left behind by a previous visitor in the dorms.

Well you nailed it -- it's just a little fly-in (10,000+ planes) with some aviation enthusiasts (40,000+ campers and 500,000+ attendees for the week) and some venders/organizations (800+ from Air Wisconsin Airlines to Zenith Aircraft Company and some companies/orgs you might have heard of: ALPA, American Airlines,, Boeing, Garmin, FlightSafety, GE Aviation, Goodyear, NBAA, and United Airlines, to name just a few).

It's really kind of a snoozer if you ask me. I go just to get some brats, cheese curds, and Spotted Cow.
I go for the beer at SOS.

I go for the beer at SOS.

That's my #1 spot for brats and curds. I get Spotted Cow at parties/socials and Friar Tucks. Non-Spotted Cow beer I get everywhere, starting with our trailer, working our way to the Sleepy Hollow Bar, then SOS, and all kinds of places in and around Scholler, HBC, and N40. :D

You're new so I don't know enough from your posts to gauge your level of sarcasm but I'm guessing you're being facetious being that you're an airline pilot, but I'll play along anyway. If you don't know what it is how can you say you never plan on going? Simply Google AirVenture and find out, IF you really don't know, which I doubt.

I don't need to be diagnosed with cancer to know I don't want it.

I never plan on going to AV because the more people you gather in one place, the more idiotic and inconsiderate they are. "Oh, but they are pilots, it's different." No, it's not. Pilots (from this board no less) that urinate on people's tents when drunk, stumble and fall into strangers tents, and other general ass-hattery which caused camping neighbors to leave because said pilots were giant pieces of crap. I don't need to be awoken to the sound of urine on my tent because of some dickbag.

Experience relayed to me by my parents.

So, you are saying you haven’t been there or haven’t had your tent urinated on?

Not saying shenanigans don’t happen, but I’ve seen more at RR than OSH. I camped next to one full on entitled problem boomer that was so offended by my presence in my campsite he aimed his generator into my tent amongst other BS. I took a year off of OSH because of that one guy. Then, I realized I liked OSH, missed it and let someone else ruin it for me and that isn’t the way I roll. Been back every chance I get and no regrets and no jerks since.

So, to your other point, yep, it’s different. Ratio of scum to non-scum is very good. Gathering 10K plus people in one place will still have scum and will still be 10k people which can be decidedly not fun for some people. However you roll :rockon:

I don't need to be diagnosed with cancer to know I don't want it.

I never plan on going to AV because the more people you gather in one place, the more idiotic and inconsiderate they are. "Oh, but they are pilots, it's different." No, it's not. Pilots (from this board no less) that urinate on people's tents when drunk, stumble and fall into strangers tents, and other general ass-hattery which caused camping neighbors to leave because said pilots were giant pieces of crap. I don't need to be awoken to the sound of urine on my tent because of some dickbag.

The difference is you know what cancer is. He stated he didn't know what AirVenture was. My advice is don't knock it till you try it, but in reality I get that these this kind of events are not everyone's cup of tea. But camping at Osh in any of the campgrounds ain't the Buffalo Chip at Sturgis so what you describe is definitely the rare exception and no where close to being the rule. But never having been you wouldn't know--all you have is conjecture. Don't want to go, fine--don't. No one will miss you. We go because we have a great time and that's all that matters.

Something else to consider is gathering 10k plus people in one setting will also attract grifters and criminals. These bad folks know that the more people there will allow them to sneak and blend in with the crowd. Theft, robbery, groping etc gets tough to follow when you have all these people
Blended in.

but if you like airplanes it sounds like a good time.
Airplanes aren’t my thing though so I probably wouldn’t get much out of the event. Still interesting to learn about so thanks for the replies

And yet AirVenture has been going on now for decades and crime and outlandish behavior has remained almost non-existent, but admittedly not zero. It's still about as benign, family friendly environment you're gonna get these days. But is an airshow so if planes and crowds aren't your thing, then yes probably best to give it pass. At least now you know

Something else to consider is gathering 10k plus people in one setting will also attract grifters and criminals. These bad folks know that the more people there will allow them to sneak and blend in with the crowd. Theft, robbery, groping etc gets tough to follow when you have all these people
Blended in.

Airplanes aren’t my thing though so I probably wouldn’t get much out of the event. Still interesting to learn about so thanks for the replies

I have never seen grifters or any of those things you refer to. This isn't like an event where just anyone can wander in. You have to pay, you have security checks on the way in, and a decent security presence as well as a lot of self-policing by the attendees. As a matter of fact, the event is known for being pretty litter-free as people pick up trash unsolicited. This is more like a convention, not a motorcycle rally or a beach party. This is midwesterners with their families. They rock.

Besides, if airplanes are not your thing, what are you doing on this forum??

Blended in.

Whitney!!! So glad you're back!

I don't need to be awoken to the sound of urine on my tent because of some dickbag.
People like you are always looking for a way to be negative. I've never had trouble with anyone urinating on anything at Oshkosh or anywhere else.

I camped next to one full on entitled problem boomer that was so offended by my presence in my campsite he aimed his generator into my tent amongst other BS.
People like you aren't looking for ways to make the experience more positive for people like EdFred. You simply could have asked the drunks that were there harassing EdFred to fill your neighbor's generator up with their urine instead of using his tent.

Seriously though... who has had their tent ****ed on? I've never even heard of such a thing! I've never had anything stolen, damaged, and I've only had a few people be rude to me. It's a large gathering of mostly like-minded people. It's so popular that people who have never been there will join a thread about it to tell you why they don't want to go!

So, you are saying you haven’t been there or haven’t had your tent urinated on?

Not saying shenanigans don’t happen, but I’ve seen more at RR than OSH. I camped next to one full on entitled problem boomer that was so offended by my presence in my campsite he aimed his generator into my tent amongst other BS. I took a year off of OSH because of that one guy. Then, I realized I liked OSH, missed it and let someone else ruin it for me and that isn’t the way I roll. Been back every chance I get and no regrets and no jerks since.

So, to your other point, yep, it’s different. Ratio of scum to non-scum is very good. Gathering 10K plus people in one place will still have scum and will still be 10k people which can be decidedly not fun for some people. However you roll :rockon:

My parents were witnesses to what went on. RR did not compare in the buttholery column. Not to mention when people get into crowds they become oblivious of their surroundings. I love roller coasters, but hate roller coaster parks.

People like you are always looking for a way to be negative. I've never had trouble with anyone urinating on anything at Oshkosh or anywhere else.

People like you aren't looking for ways to make the experience more positive for people like EdFred. You simply could have asked the drunks that were there harassing EdFred to fill your neighbor's generator up with their urine instead of using his tent.

Seriously though... who has had their tent ****ed on? I've never even heard of such a thing! I've never had anything stolen, damaged, and I've only had a few people be rude to me. It's a large gathering of mostly like-minded people. It's so popular that people who have never been there will join a thread about it to tell you why they don't want to go!
So because it didn't happen to you, then it doesn't ever happen. Got it. BTW these shenanigans were performed by at least 2 members of this message board and their guests.

Back