David Clark PTT repair?

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
I inherited two DC C10-15s. Along the way, some intrepid owner helpfully clipped off the jacks. I called up DC, and was somewhat surprised to learn that they do not repair these. They appear to be quite repairable and rather gorgeous inside.

Can anyone recommend a source of a good quality jack with a lead already attached?

Alternatively, can anywhere do this sort of repair? I should call pilot-usa...

IMG_7137.jpg IMG_7142.jpg

This is beyond a DIY job? The pics make it look rather straightforward.

Were I able to source a good quality jack and lead, I'd be happy to do it myself. If not, I'm happy to send it out.

Were I able to source a good quality jack and lead, I'd be happy to do it myself. If not, I'm happy to send it out.
The jack looks rather serviceable. The lead could perhaps be scavenged.

The plug is serviceable, but the jack has been cut off.

The plug is serviceable, but the jack has been cut off.
Ah, I see now what you mean by "jack".

Maybe get a panel jack from your local avionics shop and 3D print an enclosure for it?

Do you own a plane or rent ? If you own , you should just wire the PTT to the mic jacks in your plane. I might have a couple of those mic jacks if you are interested..pm me.

I'm puzzled - little help please. I think of a "Plug" as the male part of the connector which is attached to the headset, which fits into the female "Jack" or socket, which is mounted on the panel.

I'm puzzled - little help please. I think of a "Plug" as the male part of the connector which is attached to the headset, which fits into the female "Jack" or socket, which is mounted on the panel.
Before/after pics might help. This is "before":
PTT_18216G-01-Z.jpg

You may be able to find a jack here: Search Results | Aircraft Spruce
Edit: Looks like the link posted doesn't save the search field, but just search for "microphone jack" to get a page of all kinds of parts and equipment.

One of the extension cables might provide the proper jack, or I suppose you could even get one of the cheaper quality PTTs and scavenge the jack from that. Might not make sense to cut up a usable PTT, but the David Clark button is probably way better quality than the cheaper units.

Do you own a plane or rent ? If you own , you should just wire the PTT to the mic jacks in your plane. I might have a couple of those mic jacks if you are interested..pm me.

My Cherokee Six had a similar PTT wired straight to the pilot side jack when I purchased it. I guess it’s difficult to find a non-velcro solution to mounting a PTT on those ugly bow ties. It works fine though.

I see what you’re after. The female jack is completely missing. I just assumed that all PTT were hardwired to the panel’s permanently installed jack.

I also assumed all planes already had PTT hardwired.

What will you be doing with your inherited PTT?

Last edited:
I should call pilot-usa...
pilot-usa indeed can do the job.

Do you own a plane or rent ?

My plane has a wired ptt on the pilot side, nothing on the copilot side. I'd like to keep a portable ptt in the plane in case the wired one goes tango uniform.

What will you be doing with your inherited PTT?

I dislike broken things and extra things, so I'd like to fix these up before passing them along.

Or, if you want one or both of them in their current state, PM me.

Last edited:
pilot-usa indeed can do the job.

My plane has a wired ptt on the pilot side, nothing on the copilot side. I'd like to keep a portable ptt in the plane in case the wired one goes tango uniform.

I dislike broken things and extra things, so I'd like to fix these up before passing them along.

Or, if you want one or both of them in their current state, PM me.
FYI, as a data point I saw someone selling a pair of these on Facebook for $20 each or $30 for both.

Pilot-USA did the job.

Based on my extensive n=2 data set (they fixed a headset for me a couple of years ago), I conclude that they do small repairs like this for a $30 flat rate...

Back