News media and the public are so stupid

I’m not sure what the point of the article was but the FAA quotes seemed appropriate. A few of the TikTok users quoted came across as ignorant although not necessarily stupid. Using this article as evidence that the news media and the public are stupid is a stretch. They might be, but not based on this article.

The people panicking and saying they are never taking a red-eye again made me laugh. I bet they'd be absolutely shocked to realize that most airports don't even have ATC at them!

The people panicking and saying they are never taking a red-eye again made me laugh. I bet they'd be absolutely shocked to realize that most airports don't even have ATC at them!
And most pilots don't even file flight plans and aren't talking to air traffic control. They are flying all around and above us completely out of control!!!!!!!

News media. Tik Tok. As in Tik Tok is news???

Well Newsweek did post it.....I have a vague recollection that 30 years ago they did do some journalistic activity. I wasn't posting this to change the world.

Saw the same article and had the same thought.
The "I'm never taking a red eye again" had me in stitches.

Over 2,200 public airports in the US. Only about 500 have towers. Not all Commercial Part 139 airports have towers, I'd guess only about half but couldn't quickly find the answer. I know in our state its about half.

Over 2,200 public airports in the US. Only about 500 have towers. Not all Commercial Part 139 airports have towers, I'd guess only about half but couldn't quickly find the answer. I know in our state its about half.
I could be wrong but I believe there are more than 5000 public airports in the US. :dunno:
Cheers :cheerswine:

I could be wrong but I believe there are more than 5000 public airports in the US. :dunno:
Cheers :cheerswine:

I misspoke, that was a number I'd heard before. The actual number of airports in the NPIAS is 3,310. There may be other unclassified airports, but not all are paved and/or open to the public.

I misspoke, that was a number I'd heard before. The actual number of airports in the NPIAS is 3,310. There may be other unclassified airports, but not all are paved and/or open to the public.

Those are considered “significant to national air transportation”…
I’d bet airports with no fuel services aren’t in that category.

For some of us, all the best airports/strips are uncontrolled.
Pilots doing their own advisory amongst themselves, is my preference. Removal of all towers sounds good to me. While at it, get rid of those so called security guards at airports, they are far more problem than the passengers. Finally people could bring their own food and beverages, so eliminate the FA, save money, streamline the system, cut down wait times, and stop aggravating the customers who are spending a fortune on tickets.
That would be Utopia!

Well Newsweek did post it.....I have a vague recollection that 30 years ago they did do some journalistic activity. I wasn't posting this to change the world.
Perhaps an explanation or thought in the post and not just a random link

Before I was a pilot, it probably wouldn’t have occurred to me that most towers close at night

But it would have occurred to me that whatever the system was in the absence of an active tower was apparently working just fine. No need to panic. The pilots, they got this.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
I will not disagree with your assessment of the media or the public.

Not too long ago I got into an argument online with another _pilot_ who opposed the FAA's proposal to close the RIC tower (which is not even an up/down, as the Class C is operated by Potomac TRACON) between midnight and 5am. I saw it as a smart way to save taxpayer dollars, the other guy argued it was a safety hazard.

For some of us, all the best airports/strips are uncontrolled.
Pilots doing their own advisory amongst themselves, is my preference. Removal of all towers sounds good to me. While at it, get rid of those so called security guards at airports, they are far more problem than the passengers. Finally people could bring their own food and beverages, so eliminate the FA, save money, streamline the system, cut down wait times, and stop aggravating the customers who are spending a fortune on tickets.
That would be Utopia!

But if we ditch security, who’s going to lose my wife’s new glasses while investigating her nefarious baggage (that was actually a bag of Cheetos)?

Well Newsweek did post it...

They are in the business of selling news(papers) so they publish what gets bought(clicked). Journalistic integrity lasts as long as it takes to refresh the page.

Arrogance is calling the public “stupid” simply because they don’t know the intricacies about your hobby or profession. (General) Aviation may be a central focus of our lives but newsflash it isn’t for the vast majority of people. Take a gander at the tech questions asked in this forum and a Programmers Of America forum would write off the majority of people in this forum as stupid as well if they had the same attitude.

Just because someone is a pilot and understands the aviation system doesn’t make them a god or superior.

Arrogance is calling the public “stupid” simply because they don’t know the intricacies about your hobby or profession. (General) Aviation may be a central focus of our lives but newsflash it isn’t for the vast majority of people. Take a gander at the tech questions asked in this forum and a Programmers Of America forum would write off the majority of people in this forum as stupid as well if they had the same attitude.

Just because someone is a pilot and understands the aviation system doesn’t make them a god or superior.

No, the arrogance is from people who spout off on things they know nothing about. if you don't know **** about a subject, then keep your yap shut about how unsafe or safe it is.

"Z0mG, we're going to die because there's no tower!!!!!"

Yeah dip****, there's a bunch of fields with no towers that have airline service. Learn something before opening your yap.

(not you you, the general you)

I strongly suspect neither the public nor the media are any more ignorant than they were “back in the good old days”. The difference is the filter of expensive publishing (whether print or airwaves) is gone. So we hear what we didn’t used to.

No, the arrogance is from people who spout off on things they know nothing about.
If that’s your definition of arrogance, pilots often fit that perfectly. Only need to look at one of the multiple threads on aerodynamics here to see it (not to mention other scientific subjects that cannot be mentioned here).

If that’s your definition of arrogance, pilots often fit that perfectly. Only need to look at one of the multiple threads on aerodynamics here to see it (not to mention other scientific subjects that cannot be mentioned here).

arrogance: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

But yeah, there are a few that demonstrate both halves. Although I am not seeing it in this thread.

I was just using the definition you provided previously.

I didn't define it previously. I only used it in a sentence. Pretty arrogant of you to assume that was a definition. ;)

They are in the business of selling news(papers) so they publish what gets bought(clicked). Journalistic integrity lasts as long as it takes to refresh the page.
I noticed that the Newsweek article attracted a lot of comments from pilots to set things straight, so at least there's that.

I knew the legitimate media was dead when I read an article on Newsweek.com started quoting social media site posters with name like "PussyBoogersAuGratin" as reputable sources.

Appeal to authority fallacy. Wearing a square suit and tie doesn't make you credible/informed either.

Back