Annual Signed off as 100hr?

R

RedFlagJoe

I fly an airplane that recently underwent an extensive annual with the on-field mechanic. I was under the assumption for as long as I’ve known him that he is an IA, but has another mechanic who will come and assist him at times when he needs it.

Anyway, I got the logbooks back today and see that the annual was signed off by him as a 100hr inspection, but then had an additional sign off under his for the annual by his ‘assistant’ who signed off as an annual. His certificate number that was signed just says AP, while the second entry by his assistant says APIA.

Is this common? Why would he sign it off as a 100hr, only to have his assistant who evidently has an IA sign off the annual under his entry? Is there something fishy here?

His IA may have lapsed. So to make the subbed out work less extensive, signed off what he could under the 100 hr...

Is one possible explanation.

Is there something fishy here?
Not necessarily. Are you saying there are two write ups... one signed as a 100hr and one signed as an annual? Theres nothing wrong with that and was something I did for some of my customers.

If your airplane is a Piper PA-28 or PA-32, whether it's an "annual" or a "100-hour" could make a difference in calculating the "factored hours" for purposes of the wing spar AD.

That is not really true, the wording of the signoff is not what counts, but its intent.

AD 2020-26-16:
For purposes of this review, count any inspection conducted to comply with the 100-hour requirement of 14 CFR 91.409(b) pertaining to carrying persons for hire, such as in-flight training environments, even if the inspection was entered in the maintenance records as an “annual” inspection or as an “annual/100-hour” inspection. If the purpose of an inspection was to comply with § 91.409(b), then it must be counted. To determine the purpose of an inspection, note the repeating intervals between inspections, i.e., less than 10 months between, and typically 90-110 flight hours. An inspection entered as a “100-hour” inspection but done solely for the purpose of meeting the requirement to complete an annual inspection, or those otherwise not required by § 91.409(b), need not be counted.

I fly an airplane that recently underwent an extensive annual with the on-field mechanic. I was under the assumption for as long as I’ve known him that he is an IA, but has another mechanic who will come and assist him at times when he needs it.

Anyway, I got the logbooks back today and see that the annual was signed off by him as a 100hr inspection, but then had an additional sign off under his for the annual by his ‘assistant’ who signed off as an annual. His certificate number that was signed just says AP, while the second entry by his assistant says APIA.

Is this common? Why would he sign it off as a 100hr, only to have his assistant who evidently has an IA sign off the annual under his entry? Is there something fishy here?

This is very common. Most mtx manuals I’ve seen have the same requirements in the 100 hour inspection as the annual inspection. The A&P can do the 100 hour inspection but not the annual. The IA inspects during the 100 hour when he is needed by the A&P.

This is a very common signoff. The A&P signs off the 100 hour and the IA signs off the Annual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I don’t understand the two inspection signatures either.

The IA can't delegate the inspection to the mechanic. Unless he also put eyes on all the inspection things, the second sign off is improper.

I guess I don’t understand the two inspection signatures either.
While there are several reasons to have a 100hr signed off with an annual, its also a simple way to document all the work performed if someone else is signing the annual. Otherwise each task would need to be documented separately. For example, we would open up/clean out aircraft for an owner-assist annual, then the IA would come by and inspect, and then we would close up aircraft. All the open/close work is signed off as part of the 100hr and the IA would sign for his annual inspection separately. Performing the 100 hr also gave us a chance to inspect/fix any issues before the IA came by.

On Owner-assist tasks I have the Owner document and sign as well. This is followed by “ under the supervision of” & my signature. It may not mean a lot but folks may be a little more conscientious.

We can get Group Rate on attorney?

On Owner-assist tasks I have the Owner document and sign as well. This is followed by “ under the supervision of” & my signature. It may not mean a lot but folks may be a little more conscientious.
FYI: Part 43.9 already takes care of that for you as each person who works on an aircraft is technically required to enter their name in the write-up. Its only when the work is satisfactory that the AP signature comes into play as an approval for RTS. I've had some owner's kids enter their names in the logbook entry when they've worked on the plane which made their day. No attorney needed.;)

If your airplane is a Piper PA-28 or PA-32, whether it's an "annual" or a "100-hour" could make a difference in calculating the "factored hours" for purposes of the wing spar AD.
not true from section H (i) of the AD: An inspection entered as a “100-hour” inspection but done solely for the purpose of meeting the requirement to complete an annual inspection, or those otherwise not required by § 91.409(b), need not be counted.

Good grief ! Oh...I forgot this is POA...never mind..

Two sets of eyes are better than one, IMO....nothing wrong here...it is done all the time...especially when the aircraft owner might be an AP, but not an IA.

not true from section H (i) of the AD: An inspection entered as a “100-hour” inspection but done solely for the purpose of meeting the requirement to complete an annual inspection, or those otherwise not required by § 91.409(b), need not be counted.
That is true. However, when a potential buyer is reviewing the logs, the circumstances and intent of the "100-hour" inspection might not be readily apparent. And if push came to shove, who would have the burden of proof on that issue? Thus the buyer will likely count "100-hour" inspections and assume the worst.

That is true. However, when a potential buyer is reviewing the logs, the circumstances and intent of the "100-hour" inspection might not be readily apparent. And if push came to shove, who would have the burden of proof on that issue? Thus the buyer will likely count "100-hour" inspections and assume the worst.
any good A&P would make the proper log book entry for the AD which would state the exact number of factored service hrs at the time of sign off. since the number of factored service hrs changes with use, any inspection should have a new entry for the factored service hrs at that time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back