New email provider?

Craig

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Craig
Looking for a new email provider. Verizon dumped us a couple of years ago to AOL. AOL recently did something and now Thunderbird can't seem to be configured to where I can send email. I have to log into AOL direct to do so. Also, the AOl email client is so crippled, I can't cut and paste into it either.
I'd like to stay with Tbird and add a new provider, free or fee doesn't really matter at this point, but do not want to deal with Outlook, Gmail, MS.....
I intend to run parallel accounts for a while, and eventually move away from AOL for normal stuff.

Suggestions?

Looking for a new email provider. Verizon dumped us a couple of years ago to AOL. AOL recently did something and now Thunderbird can't seem to be configured to where I can send email. I have to log into AOL direct to do so. Also, the AOl email client is so crippled, I can't cut and paste into it either.
I'd like to stay with Tbird and add a new provider, free or fee doesn't really matter at this point, but do not want to deal with Outlook, Gmail, MS.....
I intend to run parallel accounts for a while, and eventually move away from AOL for normal stuff.

Suggestions?
Yes. Don’t ask @mnts2skies

Suggestions?

I've read favorable things about Fastmail in the past, but have never used them. I migrated from iCloud to Outlook365 (begrudgingly, only because Apple's iCloud calendar meeting invites are broken) and it works okay, but isn't as friendly to third-party clients as iCloud.

I didn’t know that AOL was still around.

Yep. Owned since 2021 by a private equity firm.

Before that, acquired by Verizon in 2015. Yahoo mail as well. Their new owner disclosed they would begin harvesting data from customer emails regarding their financial institutions, and selling that data. (If you’re not the customer, you’re what they’re selling — a good reason to not use free email services.)

I switched to FastMail.com when tuffmail closed up. No problems.

I was one of the original first 500 people to sign up for Hotmail when it came out. As the Hotmail corporation, before MSN bought them out. I still use it.

What I like about it is the Onedrive storage - MS Office programs can use it just like a network drive. I can work on my proposal or TM at work, and pick up where I left off at home with no save here too shuffling. I use it as my primary email now, and am transitioning from my work Exchange email for personal use.

In any case, it's wise to have two or three backup accounts at separate services, e.g. a Yahoo, a Gmail, and a Hotmail/Outlook, etc... since any single email provider, paid or not, could disappear overnight.

You might try your university if you are an alumnus. I think ours is hosted by Google but, probably because universities generally have stronger data protection rules, there does not seem to be any of the tracking associated with gmail. If you send an email about a trip to Italy for instance, ads for tours do not flood your screens. It also might be because the university pays for the service. Another bonus is because it has a .edu suffix it goes through email filters and you can usually get educational discounts on services with it. My podcast provider offers a discount to any holder of a .edu address.

I really dislike gmail, by the way. Their method of storing and grouping emails is extremely confusing and unintuitive.

Back