New License for IR?

Garavar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Garavar
I just passed my PPL this week and plan to do IFR next but going to take a few weeks off as I am pretty fried.

Anyway, I was wondering after you pass IFR checkride are you issued a new license? Or do you keep your old license? If you keep old license how do people verify you are IR during ramp checks and such since you are not required to have your log book?

Thanks gang.

Anyway, I was wondering after you pass IFR checkride are you issued a new license? Or do you keep your old license?
Both. A hole is punched in your old card to invalidate it.

You'll get a paper temporary cert just like you did when you passed your ppl. Your old plastic will get punched and you'll get a new one in the mail. Until it arrives, the paper is your official certificate, the punched one is just a momento.

Congratulations btw! It's a big deal. Take some long vfr xc’s with flight following; it'll help a lot for ifr.

Both. A hole is punched in your old card to invalidate it.
When I got my commercial, the examiner told me that he didn't have a hole punch and it wasn't necessary. I punched my own hole later so it would match my growing collection. I don't have enough to decorate a Christmas tree yet, but I know someone with a bunch of type ratings who made ornaments out of all the cards.

It is a rating and it gets added to your certificate. You will get a new plastic certificate. Once you get your plastic card for your PP certificate in the mail, flip it over and read. You will see your current rating(s). Yours should say Airplane Single Engine Land. As you add ratings such as Instrument, Multi Engine, etc. They will be added to the back of your certificate as well. While not something that is on the written to my knowledge or in the ACS, it is something that I believe you should have learned when learning about ratings and their privileges and limitations in ground school. But I am not surprised that you didn't. There is so much knowledge that the average private pilot lacks, especially right after becoming one.

Congratulations on the PP by the way.

Yeah, they used to take it, now they just punch a hole in the seal to invalidate it. Years ago when I got my instrument rating, the examiner looked at my seemingly ancient private certificate and said he was sorry that he was going to have to take it. I pointed out that wasn't my original one, but one I paid $2 for when I changed my address. My original from 1982 with my Colorado address was still clipped in the back of my first log book.

It is a rating and it gets added to your certificate. You will get a new plastic certificate. Once you get your plastic card for your PP certificate in the mail, flip it over and read. You will see your current rating(s). Yours should say Airplane Single Engine Land. As you add ratings such as Instrument, Multi Engine, etc. They will be added to the back of your certificate as well. While not something that is on the written to my knowledge or in the ACS, it is something that I believe you should have learned when learning about ratings and their privileges and limitations in ground school. But I am not surprised that you didn't. There is so much knowledge that the average private pilot lacks, especially right after becoming one.

Congratulations on the PP by the way.

I don't know anything actually, I feel like my flight school wasn't very instructive. They would do like group flights. Sit passenger for another student one hour then you would switch and go an hour. The ground was not structured kind of teach whatever came to mind at the time.

Right before Checkride I was bumped for a discovery flight so I never got to do a practice checkride.

FSDO personnel berated me for referring to it as a "license." It is a "certificate." Don't you ever refer to it as a license or they will take it away from you. ;)

Congratulations, Garavar!

Don’t let it bother you if folks say “you should have been taught” this or that. You passed the written and check ride, so you obviously know enough to get started. Just continue learning.

Congrats again. Now relax for a while and enjoy!

If you were supposed to know it all then it wouldn’t be called a license to learn.

Go have fun with the certificate! If you’re training-fatigued now, wait til IR. Enjoy your private privileges for a while, and then be sure to take some VFR flights during your IR training; They will be rejuvenating and fun.

Is that a new thing? I have a pile of old "certificates" that don't have holes punched

Is that a new thing? I have a pile of old "certificates" that don't have holes punched
It's been enacted since 2005 when I did my last checkride. They took my certificate on that ride. Any you retained without holes were likely ones that you had replaced by paying the $2.

Pre IACRA when the paper certification file was sent to OKC, the DPE or ASI was required to send the old certificate in with it. After IACRA, they are required to destroy it. However, if the airman wants to keep it, destroying it takes the form of punching a hole through it at the hologram. If you have intact superseded certificates, someone didn’t do it right.

Back