Well, that's gonna be life changing, right?

I had some friends that ran off and eloped on April Fools several years ago. Took a while for anyone to believe they actually got married.

PS - Eloping is much cheaper and easier than having a wedding.

Pins and needles, needles and pins,

When a man marries the trouble begins.!!

Yes! With a Christmas theme!

And lots of snow and hot chocolate. And someone with a life-threatening medical condition, or maybe a medical condition that threatens EdFred’s pilot certificate. And she has a misunderstood child that needs an understanding father figure.

Almost writes itself, don’t it?

A few years ago we had left a small white board on the outside of our tent at Oshkosh in case someone wanted to leave a message. We came back one afternoon to find an old friend filled the whole thing with the story of how his life had gone in the past year. There was enough of it that made sense, like I knew he had a helicopter rating, but hadn't flown one in a while and he stated that he had purchased a hiller that was as old as he was but in arguably better condition, etc... It turns out after we met up with him in person that the entire thing was fiction.

Well, my guess is that they have already married, and RR will be part of their extended Honeymoon, I forget who drew the short straw and is rooming with them?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Or should we throw aviation rice at the Commanche when they land, the brown one not the blue one.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Let's hop in the wayback machine, back to 1998 before I went to golf school in Arizona. That summer yours truly was engaged. Yes, you read that right. It was short lived as we were young and her parents (especially her mother) - even though they knew I had the ring ahead of time - made her life hell and caused her to break things off. She was an only child and they threatened to disown her if she "married that boy." So I got the ring back, returned it, and moved on.

Over the next 5-1/2 years I would hear from her once in a while. Never saw her, but would get a call at the office, and we would subsequently communicate via email or yahoo chat for a few days or a week and she would disappear again, until at one point, she dropped off the face of the Earth.

Fast forward to last fall, and I get back from Thursday night bowling. I'm going through my email, and I see a request to be added to someone's network on LinkedIn - the only social networking site I use, and only for work contacts with a few exceptions. I recognize the name, which is different than it was back in 1998, but knew who it is was, as I had discovered she had gotten married and had a kid at the end of 2004 while I was looking online to see where she disappeared to. Friday morning I get into work, accept the invitation, and immediately get a chat request from her.

Small talk ensues, she gives me her number and after I work I call her and we start talking - a lot. Like every day. We airline back and forth a few times, and then with the weather getting better I hop in the Comanche almost 2 weeks ago and head off to Florida where she resides now. I take her kids - the oldest of which graduates as valedictorian this May, and is going to FIT for United's aviation program in the fall - out to lunch last Tuesday, and ask them if they are OK with her mom and I getting married. They give their approval.

So the next day, with a ring I got the week prior, I popped the question, again, to the same girl, again, that I did 24 years earlier. She's taken a job (fancy title that had to do with computer coding and robotics) in the medical field local to me, is moving up here with her to be freshman daughter after the oldest gets his feet under him at school, and next summer we are tying the knot.

So that's probably going to be a pretty big change to my life, right?
Wow! Mazel tov! Hard to believe such an amazing thing would happen on such an auspicious day!

To be fair, my little brother got married on 01 April, for real. A long time ago. Still married.

revenge is a dish best served cold. She'll never suspect that you are going to call it off on the wedding day! Well played.

I have a niece named Jennifer. We call her Jenny of course. She was dating a guy back in high school, but it didn't work out. After a lot of years, a couple of husbands, a couple-three kids, the two of them found each other again. He'd never married, and eventually the two of them did. Third time has been the charm.

I have to struggle to remember his actual name when we see them... since he spent all that time just waiting for Jenny to come around, I've always thought him as simply Forrest.

Ed, if it's not a joke, then congrats. Come to think of it, even if it is a joke, congrats.

Dang, that’s some mastermind level planning/mind f***ery.

Have you by chance ever been a member of a barber shop quartet in Skokie, Illinois or picked coffee beans down in Guatemala?

What if I told you the Loch Ness monster hired to me post this?

A few years ago we had left a small white board on the outside of our tent at Oshkosh in case someone wanted to leave a message. We came back one afternoon to find an old friend filled the whole thing with the story of how his life had gone in the past year. There was enough of it that made sense, like I knew he had a helicopter rating, but hadn't flown one in a while and he stated that he had purchased a hiller that was as old as he was but in arguably better condition, etc... It turns out after we met up with him in person that the entire thing was fiction.

Good thing he didn't fill out the board in big letters stating that your STD test came back positive....

Congratulations. Sounds like the plot to a great movie!

And yet Ed is educated amongst his other talents and he would like us to believe that he didn’t consider Hawai’i in his April 1 posting?

Aloha and congratulations, Ed!

For those truly wondering whether it is the real deal, or just another Bazinga, the Rough River crowd will find out in 3 weeks if I have someone show up with me or not.

For those truly wondering whether it is the real deal, or just another Bazinga, the Rough River crowd will find out in 3 weeks if I have someone show up with me or not.
I'm betting April's maiden name is "Phules".

And lots of snow and hot chocolate. And someone with a life-threatening medical condition, or maybe a medical condition that threatens EdFred’s pilot certificate. And she has a misunderstood child that needs an understanding father figure.

Almost writes itself, don’t it?

Ed Fred in a meet cute. Who would've thunk it?

Anyway, Ed Fred, if it's real, congrats, if it's an April Fools prank, well played sir.

So if it’s true, Aircraft Spruce for the registry?

If it’s true, I’ll buy everyone at Holly’s a round of what I’m drinking.

I’ll be drinking water since I don’t drink alcohol anymore, so I won’t be in the hook for much. :D

Ed Fred in a meet cute. Who would've thunk it?

Anyway, Ed Fred, if it's real, congrats, if it's an April Fools prank, well played sir.
Dittos. I've heard that "cute meets" are more likely to be successful than any other kind of meet. My wife and I met cute, and I only realized, after almost 17 years, that she was looking out for my best interests, literally, since the first day. We were both at a job search center to get our resumes reviewed. The only open seat in the room was next to her. We talked a bit, I showed her a picture of a Grumman AA5(something) and a picture of my youngest nephew.

She got her resume reviewed first, and I was busy journaling when she came out. If she hadn't come over to tell me about the World Internet Conference at the Stanford Barn, I wouldn't have noticed she was leaving. Anyway, I figured if she liked me enough to tell me about the meeting, she was worth getting to know better. To make a long story short, I did, and we eventually exchanged "I do's". We've been married now for going on 17 years.

Funny thing, I was between jobs, so the last thing on my mind was dating, and she had just broken up with her 2nd fiancé and also wasn't into dating. I guess it's fair to say, "God has a sense of humor".

Pictures or it never happened!

Back