Where to retire?

But it’s still taking something that’s not yours… can you assign away basic property rights?

Up here in the woods we use a deterrent known as "rock salt" ... :happydance:

So this supersedes State and Federal laws on B&E, theft, larceny, etc? No judge needed?

Contractual agreement you’ve voluntarily entered in to. A typical policy deals with abandoned vehicles as stipulated in the policy. FrEX, our parking policy defines an abandoned vehicle as any vehicle parked on the street for more than 72 consecutive hours. After that, the HOA can tow it and the address gets fined and billed. So, people then turn to parking away from homes; those can be be towed after 24 hours. Other policies usually deal with anything deemed a nuisance, and usually require it be reported as a nuisance first.

But the big one really applies most often to multi-family structures where management can enter your home without permission for routine inspections and to investigate/address maintenance issues such as leaking plumbing. Occupant negligence (left the faucet on) can result in occupant liability for damages. However, if a neighbor complained of a noxious odor emanating from my abode, a board member is legally empowered to enter to home without permission to investigate. Whether an odor exists or not is irrelevant, just the mere complaint.

Even though most HOAs aren’t too abusive, state law assigns them far reaching powers to maintain the community. It wasn’t until this year that the state took away the power to remove religious displays.

My son just sent me the Zillow listing for an Atlas F missile silo outside Abilene, KS. There's your quiet little retirement place. And you could park your M113 in the Quonset hut that comes with it.

Again, you need the things I noted above. :)

Respectfully, I don't. Not at all. Nor does anyone else. Some people WANT to have some level of control over their neighbor's property. But nobody needs it. I kinda find the concept a bit repulsive. To me it's one step closer to living in a country where everyone has to pick one of 12 haircuts. Now I get it...some people like to live in places like that, and they can all choose to do so, and compare how their houses are identical, just like a mining town from the 1920's. Not me. I want my neighbors to revel in their ability to paint their houses in colors that I find ridiculous.

@NealRomeoGolf alludes to how bad the standard HOA package is down here. An example of the boilerplate in most HOA DCC&Rs in Texas:

…members of the HOA are allowed to enter another person’s property only in emergencies, to inspect for rule violations, or to perform maintenance or repairs on a common element…
…members of the HOA may remove from another person’s property any item deemed to be in violation of this policy.

Until recently, state law allowed HOAs a non-judicial foreclosure process. Abusive? Nah…

Wow, just wow. TX in general is too hot for me, but those kinds of provisions would have kept me away.

Tim

My son just sent me the Zillow listing for an Atlas F missile silo outside Abilene, KS. There's your quiet little retirement place. And you could park your M113 in the Quonset hut that comes with it.
can you share that link? - edit: never mind - found it.

Southern Arizona is a very GA friendly area. The Tucson area has several nice GA airports, the weather rarely gets in the way of flying at the seasonally appropriate time of day, and airplanes like the dry, warm salt free air.

Both TX and TN (selected areas, not the states entire writ large) would fit the bill for me if I were in the OPs situation.

Wow, just wow. TX in general is too hot for me, but those kinds of provisions would have kept me away.

Tim

Not all properties in TX are in HOAs and not all HOAs are run by tinpot dictators. This is something you have to research prior to buying anywhere.

My current house has an HOA, but it's 10 members only and doesn't involve a 'management company' (+colluding lawyers). We meet once a year over a few glasses of wine and approve the bills from the landscaper and the trash company.

Hey, what about south central PA? Beautiful scenery, more rifle friendly than many places, safe from hurricanes, and I think there are one or two Amish airplane clubs. Nothing built with an electrical system, and you have to paint them black, but hey and Cub or Champ looks good in any color.

Not all properties in TX are in HOAs and not all HOAs are run by tinpot dictators. This is something you have to research prior to buying anywhere.

My current house has an HOA, but it's 10 members only and doesn't involve a 'management company' (+colluding lawyers). We meet once a year over a few glasses of wine and approve the bills from the landscaper and the trash company.

I don’t disagree, our HOA is relatively tame compared to others and some make ours look draconian.

Here, the developer gets 2 votes for every lot they own and they get to write the rules in the beginning, so until the community is about 70% sold developer rules rule. After that, personalities matter.

One now board member is a previous board member elsewhere and has an opinion on everything. Started out volunteering on a useless committee, then went to the ARC (required by bylaws) and ran everyone else off to recruit new ARC members. Used that to build name recognition and then ran “on his record of service to the community” for secretary of the 3-member board.

From there proposed a rules change package for ‘improved efficiency’, reducing annual meeting quorum from 25% to 5% for bylaws changes and assigned policy changes to majority of board from majority of owners.

Over a six year period shît has gone downhill; all it takes is one or two people to change a HOA board’s management philosophy.

Hey, what about south central PA? Beautiful scenery, more rifle friendly than many places, safe from hurricanes, and I think there are one or two Amish airplane clubs. Nothing built with an electrical system, and you have to paint them black, but hey and Cub or Champ looks good in any color.

Actually it's a nice area - Sunbury (71N) first saturday of the month and Mifflin Co (KRVL) breakfast fly ins the 2nd Saturday are both very nice events. Lots of public land, great trout fishing.

Well, they do use horsepower, so I guess it's ok.

Actually it's a nice area - Sunbury (71N) first saturday of the month and Mifflin Co (KRVL) breakfast fly ins the 2nd Saturday are both very nice events. Lots of public land, great trout fishing.

Yep! I was kidding about the black cubs with wooden wheels, but it is a really pretty part of the country.

Great thread, despite the derailments. I’m starting to view life after work as well. I had always thought a small place in the mountains and a place by the water with a plane to get between them was the way to go. Is anyone else concerned about the later retirement years when you may not be able to fly and how this affects your decisions?

Great thread, despite the derailments. I’m starting to view life after work as well. I had always thought a small place in the mountains and a place by the water with a plane to get between them was the way to go. Is anyone else concerned about the later retirement years when you may not be able to fly and how this affects your decisions?
But…you already live in Florida..aka…Heaven’s Waiting room.

My annual HOA fees just went from $670 to $900. That’s it, I’m moving! :(

Really, the mandatory vehicle inspection is a pretty dumb rule. I've lived in enough states with and without it and if anything, the states with it I see with more decrepit vehicles running around on the road. That's contrasted with the shops that then use it as an annual opportunity to extract blood from the people who come in since a sticker is mandatory. Nope, not interested.

I don't know what states you're talking about, but I can speak for NJ. It's every 2 years and its free. Just have to go to a NJ Inspection center. And (from my experience only), the cars on the roads in NJ were much (much) more well maintained than in the states I've lived/worked in that didn't have inspections.

In my high school years, the NJ inspection was comprehensive. Emissions, lights, high beams, brakes, suspension (wipers, if I remember correctly). Now it's just an emissions test via the OBD. I don't live there anymore, but you hardly ever saw a jalopy on the roads there. Compare that to Memphis (where I spend a lot of time), or Mississippi...

Just met with a guy today, giving me a bunch of firewood cuz they’re moving. He still has some years to work, upper 50’s or so, medical. They’re moving a few miles outside Eagle River, WI, some connections & relatives in the area.

He’s also into fishing & some level of grouse & deer hunting. Not a great time to start over, though he already owns land they plan to build on.

The company just announced they are opening a office in Nashville next year. We usually put them in proper downtown areas. I am not moving yet, but that might be an option to move in a few years and work there until retirement. I know nothing about the area, but I will have to travel there to set up the network and maintain it. So that will get me some time there to scope things out.

Back