POA Movie thread

Caught 2 more movies this weekend that were a good way to spend a few extra hours at home.

The Misfits (1961). It has Marilyn Monroe and an airplane. Check it out.

Inside Man (2006). A Spike Lee movie with Denzel and Clive Owen, it's a different take on bank robbery movies.

Two recent watches for us during these times of forced sequestering.....

1. 2012 .. John Cusack plays heroic estranged father/husband reuniting his family as the entire world is pretty much destroyed. Epic damage scenes. Incredibly stupid aviation scenes, totally ridiculuous scientifically. Lots of fun.

2. Final Score ... Dave Bauttista in an over the top ripoff of whatever that Van Damme movie was where he hsd to save his daughter at a hockey game or something like that ("Endgame," maybe?). In this one, Bauttista is bigger, tougher, and gets beat up, shot, stabbed, and burned more, and has to save his niece at a soccer game from the evil terrorists, but... yeah.....I loved it. Ridiculuous factor....pegged the meter.

Every once in a while, I'll watch and enjoy a deep, thought-provoking piece of cinematic art, but mostly I get enough of that from real life. My taste in movies may be....ahem... a bit less than cerebral.

I tried to watch Bubba Ho-Tep but the first few minutes were too depressing, so I deleted it.
Also tried White Commanche. It stars William Shatner as twin half-breed brothers and their conflicts. It seemed like everyone in the film went to the William Shatner school of acting, so their dialogue had pauses in weird places. I deleted it, or at least intend to.
I'm currently watching Dr. Strangelove. It puts the first two on the list to shame. I don't think I've ever seen a BUFF's (B-52) interior before.
I've OD on John Wayne films. Some early. Some middle, some recent.

Jumanji next level... was funny and enjoyable. We liked the first one too.

1917.... I found rather boring, wanted more action.

Code 8...don't waste your time

Angel has fallen.... was decent

Knives out.... we really enjoyed and watched again.

Ford vs Ferrari...was awesome

Richard Jewell...BORING and fell asleep

Midway...could have been really good but bad acting but still a decent movie.

That's been it for the past few weekends of movie watching for us.

Time to bump this thread:

Parasite

It won a bunch of awards, and I can see why.

I give it 4 stars.

I loved Whiplash. That was my first exposure to J K Simmons.

My son attended one of the elite music colleges in the Northeast. When we watched Whiplash together, it rattled him, almost like PTSD. He said elements of the movie were a pretty accurate depiction of what many students went through.

Greyhound with Tom Hanks is pretty decent on Apple +. All CGI of course but for the most part ok. Hanks does a great job in the lead role, but some of the tactical sevens are a bit of a stretch. Old Guard with Charlize Theron on Netflix is not bad. Clearly designed to become a series of films. Does that woman ever make a bad movie?

Jo Jo Rabbit

I really didn’t know what to expect, but...

How can you go wrong with a 10yr old kid whose imaginary friend is Adolph Hitler?

4 stars. Check it out.

My son attended one of the elite music colleges in the Northeast. When we watched Whiplash together, it rattled him, almost like PTSD. He said elements of the movie were a pretty accurate depiction of what many students went through.
If your son had that experience, that is truly awful...and even more, EXTREMELY unusual. As a professional jazz and classical musician with degrees and a lot of experience in music academia both as a student and a professor, I can reassure you unequivocally that Whiplash is pure unadulterated fiction. I'm embarrassed to admit that I really enjoyed the movie, but more as almost an incredibly dark comedy. Whiplash is to jazz academia what Spinal Tap is to documentaries.
If you don't believe me, maybe Peter Erskine's (one of the world's great modern jazz drummers) words will carry more weight...

https://www.kcet.org/shows/artbound/drummer-peter-erskine-on-jazz-flick-whiplash

I'm very curious as to where your son experienced that kind of treatment; if it's in the northeast, chances are excellent that I know and/or have worked with at least several members of the faculty. Feel free to message me if you'd like me to investigate a bit. If a faculty member is TRULY treating students like that, it should be stopped immediately. I have my doubts.

Last edited:
If your son had that experience, that is truly awful...and even more, EXTREMELY unusual. As a professional jazz and classical musician with degrees and a lot of experience in music academia both as a student and a professor, I can reassure you unequivocally that Whiplash is pure unadulterated fiction. I'm embarrassed to admit that I really enjoyed the movie, but more as almost an incredibly dark comedy. Whiplash is to jazz academia what Spinal Tap is to documentaries.
If you don't believe me, maybe Peter Erskine's (one of the world's great modern jazz drummers) words will carry more weight...

https://www.kcet.org/shows/artbound/drummer-peter-erskine-on-jazz-flick-whiplash

I'm very curious as to where your son experienced that kind of treatment; if it's in the northeast, chances are excellent that I know and/or have worked with at least several members of the faculty. Feel free to message me if you'd like me to investigate a bit. If a faculty member is TRULY treating students like that, it should be stopped immediately. I have my doubts.

Had you spent your time in rock & roll instead of jazz, you would realize just how accurate Spinal Tap is.

:D

Bumping this thread:

We ended up with free HBO, Cinemax, and a few other movie channels this week. I've been catching up on a lot of movies, almost all of them I've seen before, since there really hasn't been anything new in 2020.

I'd forgotten just how good "Winter's Bone" is.

I'd forgotten just how funny "Bowfinger" is.

Finishing up "Jo Jo Rabbit" right now, it's another one I'd recommend (Best use of David Bowie "Heroes".)

I watched "Ford v Ferrari" again last night, another good story.

Check them out.

Ok - time to bump again.

With Covid, my movie watching has taken quite a dive. I’ve watched a lot of series and a few streaming movies, but nothing really memorable.

The other day I saw a movie critic talking about Tom Hardy in the “Venom” movies. I’ve always liked him as an actor, and in some scenes, like any he was in in “Peaky Blinders” he pretty much stole every scene he was in.

Last night and tonight I caught 2 of his movies where he really shows his range, 2 movies I hadn’t heard of until the other day. Check them out if you want to see an actor doing his job. One of the movies takes place completely in a car, he’s the only character on screen.

They are both streaming on Kanopy.
You might find them other places. I’ve given this disclaimer before, my movie tastes can be very different than others. So you may not like the movies, but you might appreciate Hardy’s work in them.

Bronson (2008)

Locke (2013)

I watched Ford vs Ferrari last week. I remembered I heard good things about it on here somewhere, but didn't remember where. Great movie, but a little sad.

I re-watched The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly a couple of months ago. I think it holds up pretty well. Funnier than I remembered, and a little more political than I remembered, in a good way.

Watched By Dawn’s Early Light and War Games last night. Appropriate for the times.

Those appear to be relevant. Might as well throw in “Red Dawn”, now, too.

Of course I’ve got Fail Safe and The Day After in my DVD case. I remember watching The Day After as a kid. It was like a major television event. Scared the crap out of me at the time.

I remember watching The Day After as a kid. It was like a major television event. Scared the crap out of me at the time.
“The Day After” had lot of scenes filmed in and around Lawrence, KS. It’s odd watching something like that. There were extras that I recognized, and the geography was all wrong in some shots. “Hey, that road doesn’t head in that direction!”

I watched a couple scenes get filmed and I drove past Allen Field House right when all the extras were leaving after one of the main scenes. Looked like the Walking Dead since they were all still in makeup.

Good times.

If we're talking about end of the world pics, not necessarily a great movie, but a great premise is "Omega Man".

I rewatched War Games today. The 1983 computer technology that is so central to the plot is...quaint, but the movie still resonates.

I watched "No Time to Die" on a recent commercial flight. It seemed to be lacking the usual action sequences that I've become accustomed to in Bond films. Still better than most Marvel garbage or the awful Transformers sereies. IMO.

I watched Dr. No a while back. The low budget nuclear reactor prop was insulting to the intelligence.

I watched Dr. No a while back. The low budget nuclear reactor prop was insulting to the intelligence.
I've seen that movie about 100.5 times.

That 0.5 was the day my appendix ruptured. I watched the first half, then they wheeled me into the OR and I missed the rest.

Cold war movies? "The Forbin Project" A cross between a twilight zone episode and the history of Google. (Not a fantastic movie, but great plot premise.)

Submarine movies:
"The Hunt for Red October" Just because.
"K-19: the Widowmaker" A little depressing, but then again, pretty much has to be.
"Das Boot" Should be required watching for any civil servant. Anyone that doesn't get it has to watch K-19, too.
"Run Silent, Run Deep" Actually written by a submarine commander.

James bond movies:
"On Her Majesty's Secret Service" Because Diana Rigg. It's a little rougher, and a little darker, than the early Bond movies.

Seven days in May is an interesting older Cold War drama.

Back