Are 8's on pylons in slower aircraft even legal?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
This question was prompted by question about 8's on pylons on FB, but I want to take it in a little different direction, plus this place is slightly less of a cesspool than FB is, so... :D

I've never really liked teaching 8's on pylons. Not because it's hard - actually it's one of the easier maneuvers I think. But because in some planes the pivotal altitude is REALLY close to the ground, and there's stuff out there - like windmills and antenna towers.

Any time you have a ground speed of 75 knots or less, your pivotal altitude is 500 ft AGL or less.

We are kind of known for wind here in OK. 15 knots is a pretty average day, no exaggeration needed. Pretty common for 20+, and that wouldn't even cause a question of "are we going to fly or not". So in any plane that you would fly this maneuver at around 90 knots or so, you're likely at or below 75 knots GS on any given day, during the upwind part of the maneuver, and so at 500 ft AGL or less.

The least restrictive minimum altitude rule in 91.119 requires you to stay at least 500 ft away from "any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure".

"Structure" is pretty broad and I don't see it defined in the FARs. The dictionary says it's anything that's "constructed". So unless you actually surveyed the ground before the flight and looked for any fences, abandoned cabins, outhouses, port-a-potties, deer stands, treehouses, abandoned cars, etc., you're probably violating 91.119 if you go slower than 75 knots GS. I know around here it would be really hard to fly this maneuver and not at least fly over some barbed-wire fence during part of it.

I don't do a lot of Commercial Single training, and the last two I did were in a Cirrus and a Mooney, so both were much faster than the 90-ish kt minimum.

But as far as I know, this maneuver is performed every day and on checkrides in airplanes like a Cherokee 140, Cessna 152, older 172s, or even slower airplanes like a Cub. This seems to be tacit FAA and DPE approval of a 91.119 violation, doesn't it? How is that justified?

Granted, if the DPE asks for 8's-on-pylons the applicant could just say "unable" and explain why. But since 8's on pylons are a required maneuver, there should be a discontinuance issued and the applicant would have to come back with a different airplane, or a calmer day.

But I "suspect" none of this happens very often and the 91.119 requirement is simply ignored. I could be wrong about this, and I would welcome any input - especially from our DPEs - about whether 91.119 is even considered if the applicant shows up with a slower airplane. Is this discussed at DPE training and forums?

I'd have to re-read the ACS, but is the altitude to perform the maneuver actually part of the standard, or is it just a "guideline" on the easiest way to do it? Couldn't you do it higher, it's just not as easy?

I'd have to re-read the ACS, but is the altitude to perform the maneuver actually part of the standard, or is it just a "guideline" on the easiest way to do it? Couldn't you do it higher, it's just not as easy?

Pivotal altitude is a function of ground speed.

We do it locally using trees in the center of farm fields. Certainly beyond 500' from anything.
It's part of a formula and there is no "give" in the formula for pivotal altitude.

I haven't done any of the commercial maneuvers, but I never did one with a set speed requirement.

How is that justified?
Because
"Structure" [...] I don't see it defined in the FARs.

Just like "congested area", if no one complains and nothing goes wrong, there is no violation.

Plus, if you are doing turns around a person outstanding in his field 300 feet above and 400 feet horizontally is 500 feet away.

I’d postulate (I don’t guess) that, much like the FAA has stated that parachutes aren’t required for spin training (at any level of pilot training), they’d say that since this is a required training maneuver, the altitude is acceptable for that purpose.

FAA has stated that parachutes aren’t required for spin training (at any level of pilot training), they’d say that since this is a required training maneuver, the altitude is acceptable for that purpose.

But the former is codified by actual regulation, 91.307(d)(2); the latter is not.

The altitude you are at is solely a function of your groundspeed, and varies throughout the maneuver as the ground speed changes. It's a function of math and physics and you can't do it at any other altitude. The faster you are, the higher you are, and vice versa.

We do it locally using trees in the center of farm fields. Certainly beyond 500' from anything.

That would probably work, but if you had one of those center-pivot irrigation systems, that would constitute a "structure".

I haven't done any of the commercial maneuvers, but I never did one with a set speed requirement.

With this one, there is no set speed requirement, you just (obviously) have to do it within the speed range of the airplane. For a plane that only cruises at 90-ish knots or slower, that's not fast enough given the pivotal altitude math.

Just like "congested area", if no one complains and nothing goes wrong, there is no violation.

To me the big difference is that while doing this maneuver you will have an FAA designee, or perhaps even an actual FAA employee, along for the ride while you do it. Who shouldn't be willing to overlook an obvious violation just because nobody complains.

Who shouldn't be willing to overlook an obvious violation just because nobody complains.
But it's not a violation unless someone at the FAA says it's a violation. It's pretty clear that the FAA doesn't consider a fence post a "structure" since no one has been busted for flying over one before. So, if the FAA is along for the ride, just ask if that outhouse and abandoned car would be OK to use as pylons.

A fence post or abandoned car? I take it you don't tear the tags off your pillows?

The intent of the regulation is to keep people on the ground safe from your aircraft. The FAA has never given a crap if you want to accelerate your own demise (eg: a zero,zero part 91 takeoff)

"Pilot error: Hit the only fence post within 6 miles"

This question was prompted by question about 8's on pylons on FB, but I want to take it in a little different direction, plus this place is slightly less of a cesspool than FB is, so... :D

I've never really liked teaching 8's on pylons. Not because it's hard - actually it's one of the easier maneuvers I think. But because in some planes the pivotal altitude is REALLY close to the ground, and there's stuff out there - like windmills and antenna towers.

Any time you have a ground speed of 75 knots or less, your pivotal altitude is 500 ft AGL or less.

We are kind of known for wind here in OK. 15 knots is a pretty average day, no exaggeration needed. Pretty common for 20+, and that wouldn't even cause a question of "are we going to fly or not". So in any plane that you would fly this maneuver at around 90 knots or so, you're likely at or below 75 knots GS on any given day, during the upwind part of the maneuver, and so at 500 ft AGL or less.

The least restrictive minimum altitude rule in 91.119 requires you to stay at least 500 ft away from "any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure".

"Structure" is pretty broad and I don't see it defined in the FARs. The dictionary says it's anything that's "constructed". So unless you actually surveyed the ground before the flight and looked for any fences, abandoned cabins, outhouses, port-a-potties, deer stands, treehouses, abandoned cars, etc., you're probably violating 91.119 if you go slower than 75 knots GS. I know around here it would be really hard to fly this maneuver and not at least fly over some barbed-wire fence during part of it.

I don't do a lot of Commercial Single training, and the last two I did were in a Cirrus and a Mooney, so both were much faster than the 90-ish kt minimum.

But as far as I know, this maneuver is performed every day and on checkrides in airplanes like a Cherokee 140, Cessna 152, older 172s, or even slower airplanes like a Cub. This seems to be tacit FAA and DPE approval of a 91.119 violation, doesn't it? How is that justified?

Granted, if the DPE asks for 8's-on-pylons the applicant could just say "unable" and explain why. But since 8's on pylons are a required maneuver, there should be a discontinuance issued and the applicant would have to come back with a different airplane, or a calmer day.

But I "suspect" none of this happens very often and the 91.119 requirement is simply ignored. I could be wrong about this, and I would welcome any input - especially from our DPEs - about whether 91.119 is even considered if the applicant shows up with a slower airplane. Is this discussed at DPE training and forums?
Looks like we gots us a Catch 22 here.

An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Sounds legal if you properly select the area. Crop dusters do it everyday.

On a windy day, are you supposed to alter your altitude or adjust bank?
The bank angle cancels out of the math. The altitude is a function of speed and nothing else. Embry-Riddle actually made a video explaining where the formula comes from that is worth watching.

I had a dream while I was getting ready for my commercial single check ride. I calculated the pivotal altitude for the Champ as something like 15 feet AGL. Unfortunately, I woke up before I got to try flying the maneuver that low.

A fence post or abandoned car? I take it you don't tear the tags off your pillows?

It's not illegal for the consumer to remove the tags.

"Structure" is explicitly included but is not defined. Yes, perhaps it was intended to mean "building", or maybe "occupied structure". But it doesn't say that, so does it also include an antenna tower? Seems reasonable that it would, but hitting that is probably only hazardous to yourself. Windmill? Grain silo? Power lines? Where does that end?

As for "abandoned car", the regulation does say "vehicle".

The intent of the regulation is to keep people on the ground safe from your aircraft.

I don't pretend to know the intent of most of the regulations, ever since the ridiculous interpretation of the "10 hours of instrument training required for the Commercial certificate", where everybody understood and was perfectly fine with your Instrument Rating training counting, until the FAA came out and said it either needs to be documented a certain way during Instrument Rating training or you need to do 10 MORE hours, because the topics aren't worded exactly the same, even though there is no way you could complete your Instrument Rating without doing those things the Commercial instrument training requires. But they are now sticking hard to that.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the maneuver itself, but I do wonder about the Catch-22. Heck, as far as I can tell, a DPE could fail you over this maneuver even if you execute it perfectly. That disconnect between the ACS requirements and the FARs is what I have a problem with.

Understand, if you take your Commercial checkride in a Cub (which happens), and do 8's on pylons at 60 kts with a 15 knot wind, your pivotal altitude on the upwind side will be 179 ft AGL. I can't see how this officially-sanctioned and required maneuver can possibly comply with 91.119 when you have to conduct it at 179 ft, unless of course you are literally over a farm field with nothing in it.

@RussR ... once again you have proven why you're a good person to have on the StuckMic AvCast team...

...you ask some of the most interesting questions.

By the way everybody, I really don't think that flying over fences or outhouses at 499 ft or anything like that is death-defying daredevil stuff. But a sharp Commercial applicant should be able to correlate the ACS maneuver with 91.119 and realize there's a disparity. And how am I to answer that? I have no idea.

Structure is a bit broad, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't include a barb wire fence. Since it is associated with vessels and vehicles in 91.119, I suspect 'structure' means something man made that could accommodate a person inside of it. That would be consistent with the rest of it.

Notice 91.119 doesn't say you have to remain 500 feet from a buoy.....

You could always write the Chief Counsel for an interpretation of how a 'structure' is defined.

I do 8's on pylons regularly in both the T6 and Waco. Waco is definitely less than 75 its GS. My preferred practice area is series of very large farm fields. Pick two points where a crop row terminates at a dirt road/drainage ditch and do the 8's. While I can't say that there isn't a standpipe somewhere in those fields, I am pretty confident I am not violating 91.119 when I do them.

Understand, if you take your Commercial checkride in a Cub (which happens), and do 8's on pylons at 60 kts with a 15 knot wind, your pivotal altitude on the upwind side will be 179 ft AGL. I can't see how this officially-sanctioned and required maneuver can possibly comply with 91.119 when you have to conduct it at 179 ft, unless of course you are literally over a farm field with nothing in it.

If you're taking the commercial checkride in a Cub, you probably live in farm country (or Alaska) anyway. And if you can find a DPE willing to give the checkride in a Cub, he'll probably be a pretty laid back DPE.

Why do you think they continue to be performed then?
Why do people continue to do some of the "solo or performing the duties of pilot in command" with an instructor and some solo?

Why do people continue to solo as "learners" in new categories without a current flight review?

Why do people continue to say "with you"?

I'm guessing because they never give it much thought.

Last edited:
The altitude you are at is solely a function of your groundspeed, and varies throughout the maneuver as the ground speed changes. It's a function of math and physics and you can't do it at any other altitude. The faster you are, the higher you are, and vice versa.

That would probably work, but if you had one of those center-pivot irrigation systems, that would constitute a "structure".

With this one, there is no set speed requirement, you just (obviously) have to do it within the speed range of the airplane. For a plane that only cruises at 90-ish knots or slower, that's not fast enough given the pivotal altitude math.

To me the big difference is that while doing this maneuver you will have an FAA designee, or perhaps even an actual FAA employee, along for the ride while you do it. Who shouldn't be willing to overlook an obvious violation just because nobody complains.
A center pivot is not a structure. It a piece of farm equipment. The thing has wheels on it… something noticeably missing from structures.

I vaguely remember doing ground reference maneuvers at around 320 feet because of pivotal altitude.

I'll bet that series of roads and fields is a shopping mall and a section 8 housing area now. :(

I just think it’s annoying how some people over analyze everything. The maneuver requires you to be at pivotal altitude. If pivotal altitude is below 500 feet make sure you stay far enough away from people and buildings to have appropriate separation. If you’re being a good neighbor no reasonable person will complain and if someone does you’re not in violation of the reg. This **** is not hard people. No reason to go making **** up to look smart.

I just think it’s annoying how some people over analyze everything.

Oh, I've been called worse. Isn't overanalyzing the name of the game here on POA?

The maneuver requires you to be at pivotal altitude. If pivotal altitude is below 500 feet make sure you stay far enough away from people and buildings to have appropriate separation. If you’re being a good neighbor no reasonable person will complain and if someone does you’re not in violation of the reg. This **** is not hard people. No reason to go making **** up to look smart.

Call it overanalyzing or not, but whether or not anybody complains is irrelevant. My question remains as to whether this topic is even addressed in flight training, checkride prep, checkride orals, DPE training, FSDO meetings, etc.

(You'd love the other thought floating around in my head, which is "91.119 makes an exception for takeoffs and landings. If you are planning a go-around or low approach for training, does that meet the exception?" And you thought the 8's on pylons question was overanalyzing!)

Oh, I've been called worse. Isn't overanalyzing the name of the game here on POA?

Call it overanalyzing or not, but whether or not anybody complains is irrelevant. My question remains as to whether this topic is even addressed in flight training, checkride prep, checkride orals, DPE training, FSDO meetings, etc.

(You'd love the other thought floating around in my head, which is "91.119 makes an exception for takeoffs and landings. If you are planning a go-around or low approach for training, does that meet the exception?" And you thought the 8's on pylons question was overanalyzing!)
Why does it have to be addressed? Are you seriously not able to comply with the regulations while training without it being a big production ?
This is not a big deal.
Stop making it one.

you don't have to worry about this kinda stuff in a mooney, just sayin

you don't have to worry about this kinda stuff in a mooney, just sayin

Probably more truth in that than you realize.

The norm for commercial training and checkrides has been complex aircraft, at least until the TAA exemption was added. Even then, there aren't too many TAA Cubs I would suspect. That means it was never really an issue.

Taking a commercial checkride in something like a Cub, while not prohibited, is probably an outlier at least.

I would note, that the examinee is responsible for providing an aircraft for the checkride that is equipped and capable of performing the required maneuvers for the checkride. I guess an argument could be made if the 8s on pylons is a required maneuver, and it would be unsafe to conduct the maneuver at the required pivotal altitude for the aircraft, an examiner could refuse to use the aircraft.

Back