Planning a trip to Airventure 2022

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
I'm planning a trip to Airventure this summer.

I've never been to Airventure before and plan to stay the week there. Is there anything important a first timer should know?

I plan to fly commercial and stay in a nearby hotel.

When do most people start booking the flights, hotels, cars, etc? After doing a quick search on Google, a few hotels either have almost no vacancies or already sold out their rooms in Oshkosh.

Airbnb/vrbo is your only bet unless you want to camp. The good hotels sell out years in advance, unless you want to stay in Appleton or Fon du Lac

the hotel where my buddy stays allows guests staying for the current year to have first dibs on rooms for the following year. if it was me i’d start looking a bit farther out and also start planning for 2023.

I book hotel and car in August the year before. The AC dorms at UWosh are completely booked, not even waiting lists.

I stayed in Fon du lac and drove in, lots of cool planes to see in the air all over along the way. Fon du lac seemed empty and there’s a newer hotel there that was reasonably priced (I think $200s per night for a suite). Camping at Oshkosh looked to be an option still available leading up to the event, I think that would be fun to try. Try to book more time than you expect, there was a lot I didn’t get to see that I wanted to see. Driving in was surprisingly easy and quick. The flying shows were mid week so check the schedule and try to make that.

If you like to sit and watch and take it slow, bring your gear (chairs, radio, etc)

Check the EAA Airventure web page for a lot of info. In the past the university rented dorm rooms and buses ran from the dorms to the airport. Cheaper than hotel room (if you could find one).

edit:
Search "wisconsin university airventure dorm room"

Last edited:
You can still get a room at Hilton Garden Inn on the airport but you have to pay for 7 nights at $700+ per night. Not a good solution for most people but very convenient.

I think you’ll love it!

Good reminder that I need to start planning for 2022 as well!

I have flown into Greenbay and stayed there with a rental car. The drive down to Oshkosh on Interstate 41 is not too bad. Just under an hour. Hotel prices are way more competitive too.

The dorms, get an air conditioned room. Did it this year, wasn't the Taj Majal, but was very comfortable and convenient.

The dorms, get an air conditioned room. Did it this year, wasn't the Taj Majal, but was very comfortable and convenient.
Do they have shuttles running? How did you get to and from?

Do they have shuttles running? How did you get to and from?
Yes, they have a shuttle service between the university and the airport; very convenient. Chow hall food at the university is great, cheap, all-you-can-eat.

Look into camping in the North 40. It’s fun and makes for a much fuller OSH experience. Also, what kind of plane do you have? Check out the mass arrival groups for Mooneys, Cherokees, Bonanzas,Cessnas, and even Cirruses. A safe and fun way to get there

Look into camping in the North 40. It’s fun and makes for a much fuller OSH experience. Also, what kind of plane do you have? Check out the mass arrival groups for Mooneys, Cherokees, Bonanzas,Cessnas, and even Cirruses. A safe and fun way to get there

Last year, those in tents were unhappy campers when the massive TSRA bull dozed OSH. Our RV was rockin, and rollin’ and the only music was mother natures soundtrack. Lots of planes bugged out before the storm arrived. Those who stayed found themselves sheltered in the museum with no power.

Last year, those in tents were unhappy campers when the massive TSRA bull dozed OSH. Our RV was rockin, and rollin’ and the only music was mother natures soundtrack. Lots of planes bugged out before the storm arrived. Those who stayed found themselves sheltered in the museum with no power.

And, to the best of my knowledge, nobody got hurt, no airplanes were damaged, etc. Camping is a blast, and yes, there are risks inherent in camping, flying little airplanes, or even chewing through the straps to climb out of bed every morning. Having camped at Oshkosh 20+ times (including last year), I'll be happy if I can camp under the wing at Oshkosh every year for 20 more years...

And, to the best of my knowledge, nobody got hurt, no airplanes were damaged, etc. Camping is a blast, and yes, there are risks inherent in camping, flying little airplanes, or even chewing through the straps to climb out of bed every morning. Having camped at Oshkosh 20+ times (including last year), I'll be happy if I can camp under the wing at Oshkosh every year for 20 more years...

You are correct. But, ….. https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/ne...oshkosh-airventure-2021-a-year-like-no-other/

Food for thought.

Camping is really the only way to fully experience Oshkosh. You can do it other ways but none will give you the same experience. It isn’t your normal camping experience. Camp Scholer turns into a mini city the week of Oshkosh but they have it down to a science with the layout, showers/restrooms, and stores in the campground. My only complaint is the ever shrinking space for tents. Many will fly in and buy a tent and sleeping bag at a Walmart on the way from the airport. If a tent isn’t your thing there are a number of companies that will rent you a pop up camper and set it up before the show and take it down after. You can stay off site but will likely be burnt out at the end of the day and not want to drive an hour to the hotel for a rest and therefore either won’t come back for the night airshow, movie, or speaker at theater in the woods or be miserable driving back at 11pm if you stayed. Having a camping spot on site you can just grab some food, eat it at the campsite, relax, take a shower, and then walk back to those night time activities. As far as bad weather, it’s not much of a problem in a camper and if in a tent you just get into your car for a bit while it passes. If it’s going to be really bad they open up the muses I’m as a shelter but I have only seen that very few times.

Yeah - we had bugged out the day before (it seems like Wednesdays are a higher risk for storms ;)). As noted, no deaths, injuries, or damaged planes - but plenty of stories.

We’ve camped there for the past 11 years and have a weather story for almost every one of those years, including needing to buy extra sleeping bags at Target for the 40 degree nights one year.

Camping’s not for everyone but many even otherwise non-campers enjoy it. It’s AirVENTURE, after all!

Just an option, even if just for a night or two.

Actually, last years big storm was a non-event. I've seen far worse at Oshkosh over the years. Our Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent hardly moved all night. I had decided not to work that afternoon and left Vintage looking for food. Since they decided to close down the show at 3 PM there was nothing on-field open (despite being clear and calm until near midnight). I ended up at the SOS brothers eating brisket sandwich and beer. I got back to the campsite in time to catch a ride down to Fond Du Lac for a visit to Casa Del Tequilla. By the time we got back it was just starting to rain. We parked the cars close to the tents in case we had to beat a quick exit.

I've been through previous storms where tents and airplanes both blew away.

Yep, you gotta be prepared for one gully washing t-storm every year. Temps can run from beastly hot to freezing cold (I had initially laughed at Margy for getting 20F sleeping bags).

There are no "close-in" hotels that you're going to get a room at this point. You can stay in Appleton if you like, it's not a bad drive down to the field. Several times I've flown commercial in or out of Appleton. I've also run people up from MKE.

Finding a hotel or any affordable accommodations a this point will be difficult. Unless you get an A/C room I really don't see the point versus camping in Scholler. Either ship your camping gear or stop somewhere and buy it on the way in. The camp grounds have hot showers and the rest of the day will be spent on the show grounds. Don't have to hassle with the busses either.

The camp grounds have hot showers and the rest of the day will be spent on the show grounds. Don't have to hassle with the busses either.

We lost hot water for about two days at our showers. The ones right next to Red Market on the south end. It was very, very cold water even in summer.

Dorm rooms, I think all but definitely AC rooms, were sold out a few weeks back.

For a non-camper, it’s intimidating. I have a tent (bought for OSH 5+ years ago - only used in the basement with kids). I’ve got a cot to keep me off the ground and sleeping bag/cooler etc.

Is there a cheat sheet for items to bring? Might take my 14-year old but not sure he’s into it. Might go solo.

Can you park next to your tent? Literally? I’ve been hesitant since I don’t know WTF I’m doing camping wise and hate to look stupid in front of anyone, but especially the kid! Unfortunately, I’m good at it.

You absolutely put your tent beside your airplane or car.

Needs? Man, there are a thousand threads, but tent, tie-downs, chairs, clothes, toiletries, poncho, sleeping mattress, sleeping bags, pillows, mosquito repellent, sunscreen, hat, cooler, device for recharging your phone, camera, cash, credit cards. NOTAM if you're flying.

In Scholler, you stake out your site with your car and tent together. You have in and out privs on the car throughout the show.
There used to be a pretty good guide on the eaa site but I can't find it now. Normal camping stuff is all you need. Bring something to tote water in. Ice and other supplies are available on site or you can head out to Walmart about three miles up the road. You can bring a bike or other conveyance to shoot around the campground but you can't go into the grounds proper (other than disabled mobility stuff). THere's a huge bike-rack thingy right at the entrance.

Other than that it's up to you if you want to cook or eat the "state fair" style food. It's greatly improved over what it used to be. I just bring breakfast now because I don't go back to the camp for meals much.

Can you park next to your tent? Literally? I’ve been hesitant since I don’t know WTF I’m doing camping wise and hate to look stupid in front of anyone, but especially the kid! Unfortunately, I’m good at it.
If you go up a few weeks in advance, you can put some ropes down for your spot and have a good place near the gate with 2 caveats. 1) You have to pay from the day your pick your spot. 2) I ran into one jerk in 4 times that decided my spot shouldn't have been mine because he wanted it and did everything he could to hijack it. EAA was no help but the neighbors were.

Yeah, for 2022, you need to book your hotel in 2020.
I suspect the majority of us fly in and camp under our wings.

Hotels are scarce and VERY expensive.

Although I drive and don’t fly, I stay in Green Bay. It’s about 1/3 the price than staying in somewhere like Appleton or closer. In 2017, I spent over $600 for 3 nights in a Motel 6 in Appleton. Ever since, I’ve spent around $250 for 4 nights in Green Bay. Yes it’s an hour drive one way, but worth it IMO.

Me and my girlfriend stayed in our tent next to the plane! It wasn't too bad, the wind leaned the tent over a little. After the front line of the storm passed, I actually fell asleep, which is a story she likes to tell! There were plenty of busses to get people to the museum, but I figured it would terrible trying to get back to camp so we opted to ride it out.

Anyway, I got my invite to be a photographer for EAA again, so I plan to be there!

Camping is really the only way to fully experience Oshkosh. You can do it other ways but none will give you the same experience. It isn’t your normal camping experience. Camp Scholer turns into a mini city the week of Oshkosh but they have it down to a science with the layout, showers/restrooms, and stores in the campground. My only complaint is the ever shrinking space for tents. Many will fly in and buy a tent and sleeping bag at a Walmart on the way from the airport. If a tent isn’t your thing there are a number of companies that will rent you a pop up camper and set it up before the show and take it down after. You can stay off site but will likely be burnt out at the end of the day and not want to drive an hour to the hotel for a rest and therefore either won’t come back for the night airshow, movie, or speaker at theater in the woods or be miserable driving back at 11pm if you stayed. Having a camping spot on site you can just grab some food, eat it at the campsite, relax, take a shower, and then walk back to those night time activities. As far as bad weather, it’s not much of a problem in a camper and if in a tent you just get into your car for a bit while it passes. If it’s going to be really bad they open up the muses I’m as a shelter but I have only seen that very few times.

I wish they were dog friendly. :D

my first trip I planned to airline it in and camp under the "wing" of a rental car. I ended up having a work trip on the other side of the state someplace just before Airventure so I just tacked my vacation on after the work.....the only bad part of it was having to schlep both my camping gear my work stuff (steel toed boots, hardhat, a small tool bag, work clothes...along with my airshow clothes, big tote full of camping stuff, etc....)

I got lucky with a great spot in Camp Schoeler right next to a gate at what I think is now the flymarket...close to what google maps calls the intersection of Mulva Drive and Vern Ave. I think it was 7 nights that I camped there...and I'm so glad that I did. I think staying on site opens up so much more...walking the grounds after the crowd leaves and all the evening program stuff

Since then I've stayed at a family member's place on Green Lake a few times and did a daily commute in. That drive wasn't horrible, but I felt so much more disconnected form the action.

No doubt there's probably a whole different side to the action that I haven't seen, staying at the dorms or the hotels real close right in Oshkosh....no doubt those are in some way just an extension of the show because everyone there is there for it.....

Anyway, go and stay anyplace and any way that you can....it's worth going with any of the options.... just go.... but for me, camping on site is my first choice and a hotel in some town other than Oshkosh is my last choice

In Scholler, you stake out your site with your car and tent together. You have in and out privs on the car throughout the show.
There used to be a pretty good guide on the eaa site but I can't find it now. Normal camping stuff is all you need. Bring something to tote water in. Ice and other supplies are available on site or you can head out to Walmart about three miles up the road. You can bring a bike or other conveyance to shoot around the campground but you can't go into the grounds proper (other than disabled mobility stuff). THere's a huge bike-rack thingy right at the entrance.

Other than that it's up to you if you want to cook or eat the "state fair" style food. It's greatly improved over what it used to be. I just bring breakfast now because I don't go back to the camp for meals much.
There's a Target across the street from the North 40 and a Goodwill and a US Bank and a Kroger grocery store in the strip mall. Target has an entire section named "AIRVENTURE" with everything you'll need to camp. Then, head across the parking lot to the Goodwill, pick up a bike for $10-20. Use it for the week, then donate it back to Goodwill.

AC Dorms were sold out in August 2021...they aren't even taking a waiting list for them at UWOSH. But, if you don't mind no AC, there are still rooms. Link is on the Airventure website. Read the details carefully!

One year I pulled the rear seats out of our minivan (left them hone) and put the air mattress back there. I used a 2-man tent just to store stuff outside. It was just me alone. Anything that needed to absolutely stay dry was in the van. Super comfortable and also a bit quieter.

I never saw the goodwill bikes last year. Arrived Thursday before the show and checked for several days, none to be had. Would have been useful.

Storm story, 2 poles on my 6’ dome tent flexed inward at one point, like the poles were “backwards”. My neighbor’s tent collapsed and the next one over was a cabin tent where the poles got mangled.

I remember that storm. Head for cover! Weather of biblical proportions! Cats and dogs living together!

In the end it was a non event. Lots of rain, thunder nod lightening and everything was fine the next morning. There were tornadoes in Ripon though...

It isn't Oshkosh without big storms, they have them just about every year. One of the first years I went there was a truly colossal storm, when I got up in the morning mine was the only tent in sight still standing. THAT was a storm. Still does't compared the one that picked up a ford trimotor and smashed it into the ground.

Insofar as not wanting to “look bad”, another non event. You’ll get more sincere help than jeers, I guarantee it.

Back