My [older] kids as STUDENT pilots in my personal C-172?

In worked with @david.h’s father in their plane and I think we left it as good as when we started except for tires and normal engine wear.

With 180hp and CSP you should still get 125kts true? .. with hopefully a lot less insurance, maint. etc..
I think I remember @Pilawt saying he saw 130-ish but I believe his had more than just the 180HP CSP STC.

Are you open to adoptions? C172 with the CSP 180 sounds pretty nice to me.

I’m with the cries that says of your kids aren’t entitled a-holes, it is more on the instructor.
Get an experienced CFI, not one rushing to the airlines, and let them train in your plane. Better to learn power mgt etc. in your own bird and I don’t see two students tearing it up. Especially if they respect dad.

Some jerks tear up rentals but, for the most part, it seems to be a lack of education. They mimic how the CFI treats the plane.

Are you open to adoptions? C172 with the CSP 180 sounds pretty nice to me.

I’m with the cries that says of your kids aren’t entitled a-holes, it is more on the instructor.
Get an experienced CFI, not one rushing to the airlines, and let them train in your plane. Better to learn power mgt etc. in your own bird and I don’t see two students tearing it up. Especially if they respect dad.

Some jerks tear up rentals but, for the most part, it seems to be a lack of education. They mimic how the CFI treats the plane.

Hey, Terry M,
Was the picture of your beautiful family perhaps taken at the Roosevelt main gate NAS JAX?
If it was, I have the same background for one of my wedding pics in 1998.

Hey, Terry M,
Was the picture of your beautiful family perhaps taken at the Roosevelt main gate NAS JAX?
If it was, I have the same background for one of my wedding pics in 1998.

@n2230b it was actually NAS Pensacola in 2016 I believe. We drove to Gulf Shores and when I heard the Angels’ practices were open to the public 20 mins away, we had to go!!! It was awesome.

Unfortunately, with my MIL and small children in tow, we didn’t spend much time in the museum.

If you are military or otherwise have access to get on base, it was amazing!

With the restrictions in place since that time (COVID and more importantly, the incident at Pensacola) a mere mortal civilian like me can no longer get access.

But I understand you can see the practice from several points, off base, nearby.

@n2230b it was actually NAS Pensacola in 2016 I believe. We drove to Gulf Shores and when I heard the Angels’ practices were open to the public 20 mins away, we had to go!!! It was awesome.

Unfortunately, with my MIL and small children in tow, we didn’t spend much time in the museum.

If you are military or otherwise have access to get on base, it was amazing!

With the restrictions in place since that time (COVID and more importantly, the incident at Pensacola) a mere mortal civilian like me can no longer get access.

But I understand you can see the practice from several points, off base, nearby.

I have VERY fond memories of NAS Pensacola. Did commissioned officer indoc, and Flight Surgeon training there. One day will be buried there. Great museum. The best to you and your family and happy new year!

Wait. You had a likely PRISTEEN 112TC and you sold it?
It would have been cheaper just to subsidize use of teh flight school's 172s......sigh.
So it is, with one's kids!!

B :( \_o_/ ?

Will your insurance cover it being used for student training?

Yes, as long as I do not charge for training. In that case the premium would increase fivefold. I am allowed to lend the aircraft for non-commercial use. The PIC being the CFI. As for student solo flight, I haven’t explored that deeply yet.

The “new to me” C-172 is sweet. Low time, 180 Hp STC with constant speed prop. Never a trainer.
While this label only holds sentimental or perceived buyer resale value, it is worth consideration that neither you nor any future owner will be able to make this claim on this airframe ever again.

I say yes let them do it. I got allot of my early training in my Dad's airplanes. He almost always had an airplane that he bought that need work. He would fix them up and then sell them.

Soloed in his Cessna 140. Got over 100 hours in his Swift building time. Got my Multi Engine in his Twin Navion and built multi time in it. I did not damage any of them and it was a great help for me. I learned allot flying with him even though he was not an instructor. He was an airline pilot and A&P.

Hey Rgbeard, thanks for noting the distinction. Not many know of, much less appreciate the difference.

yessir, Ed. The nicer wingtips, nice interior, increased UL, 160kt cruise. The Alpine Commander was on a list of planes I was considering when our bird came along.

Wishing you well with your complex 172 and your kid’s plans to fly.

Boardie Jay Honeck and a friend bought an Ercoupe for his kids to fly when they were getting their license and thereafter. What he hadn't realized is that the coupe was a vintage aircraft and his son would be camping down in our area rather up in the North 40 with the 'rents in their spamcan. Jay and Mary asked us to keep an eye on the kids to keep them away from the beer-for-breakfast crowd.

While this label only holds sentimental or perceived buyer resale value, it is worth consideration that neither you nor any future owner will be able to make this claim on this airframe ever again.

That's somewhat true however I doubt any serious buyer would be turned off by two people learning to fly in a 172. They suffer decades of abuse at the hands of flight schools. A savvy owner letting his kids learn to fly with a good CFI would not put many miles at all on that 172 relatively speaking.

I see this said of a lot of planes for sale along with, "always hangared" & "no damage history." While these things may be true it seems that some simply use these phrases as part of the marketing when selling an aircraft.

If the plane is in excellent shape and it's worth having then it's worth protecting by having my children learn landings in someone else's plane. ;)

Back