Altitude call outs on approach

Archer Jack

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jack
I see videos where the altitude on approach is announced in varying increments as the plane descends to ground level. I have dual Garmin g5's and gfc500 autopilot in my Archer and can't find anything on this. How does one go about setting that up? :dunno:

Did you see those callouts on other planes with the same G5 and GFC500 setup? Not sure about Garmin’s capabilities but my experience with callouts on other systems is that it is a setting that gets programmed during installation. I would ask Garmin directly.

The G5 and GFC 500 do not do that. You can get callouts from the GTN though, and presumably other GPS boxes with TAWS.

I'm not completely sure what you mean but I'm guessing they are the callouts from a radar altimeter - "50 - 25 - 20..." - based on how close the ground actually is.

Last edited:
I see videos where the altitude on approach is announced in varying increments as the plane descends to ground level. I have dual Garmin g5's and gfc500 autopilot in my Archer and can't find anything on this. How does one go about setting that up? :dunno:
What input to any of those units yields AGL data? Either a radar altimeter or a gps is needed. When on approach, I get a callout at 500’ from my Avidyne 440.

It's a laser system based on the Garmin unit. It's okay for certified under NORSEE. For experimental it will drop your gear. I have one. Sort of works.

It has to be on a separate fuse. IOW you need a way to shut it off. The audio for it comes through the AUX port on the audio panel. While in a hold in IMC it started going nuts and I had to shut it off.

It doesn't cost what a radalt costs, and there's a reason.

Back