Wire connectors

Mark Nestler

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
NESTIAM
Are Nextronics Tool-Free Wire Connectors legal to use on avionics wiring?
Thanks.

upload_2021-11-28_11-21-41.png

I’m not sure on legality, but I know I wouldn’t use them.

DTM Series
  • Accepts contact size 20 (7.5 amps)
  • 16-22 AWG
  • 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 12 cavity arrangements
I like these

Are Nextronics Tool-Free Wire Connectors legal to use on avionics wiring?
or possibly these.
On an E/AB sure. Technically no on a TC'd aircraft. But regardless I wouldn't use any "tool-free" type electrical connectors on any aircraft and especially with avionics installations as the conductor/connector interface can be very poor and unstable.

The DTM connector looks like a possibility. I cannot find an avionics shop to work on a Century II autopilot. I sent the control unit out to be rebuilt in Oklahoma. So, I'm fairly sure the Control unit is good. However, following the avionics shop advice I pulled a connector apart to check for corrosion. No noticeable corrosion but in the process I broke at least one wire and possibly more. I do not have access to a hanger or power outlet so I want to do the connection in the easiest way possible using minimum tools. I just want to replace the connector using approved, but easy to work with connectors.

upload_2021-11-28_12-55-6.png

Even crimped splices on avionics can have problems; there's a zero-percent chance I'd install something like that behind the panel (unless on a truly temporary basis). Could be good for "test" type harnesses or troubleshooting, though.

Back