Congressman Involvement - Good or Bad?

HotMic

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
HotMic
Hello all! I’m a revenue aviator currently waiting on a deferred medical to be reviewed by a staff physician in Ok City that, by AOPA and the RFS office’s estimate, should not have been deferred and should have been issued on the spot. My job is hanging in the balance right now due to the extended inability to work (there was already a 3 month “wait” before going for my medical). AOPA has recommended I do the Congressman route, curious if anyone thinks this can help or (more importantly) if this might hinder the process?

From my experience, going Congressional WILL get somebody to look at the application. Just make sure you’ve dotted your eyes and crossed your tees on everything requested, because if it turns out the FAA claims they’re waiting on you, most congressional constituent assistance offices will close out the inquiry.

From my experience, going Congressional WILL get somebody to look at the application. Just make sure you’ve dotted your eyes and crossed your tees on everything requested, because if it turns out the FAA claims they’re waiting on you, most congressionalh constituent assistance offices will close out the inquiry.
The backlog has become a self fulfilling prophesy. Medical officers are now saying, even for revenue aviators, they will not go "to the head of the line" contravening the March 5, 2018 policy that allowed for that if there was immediate need for employment or immeidiate need due to financial hardship (translation = demonstrated revenue aviator).

So of course, when you have a mortgage and kid's tuition to pay, one uses his congressman. What that does is takes more time out of circuit becuase then the medical officer has to work the case without the minion in front of him to organize the case. It takes him about 4x as long. All other work stops when there's a congressional.

So it does not help the big picture but it's put folks in the situaiton where they do not care about the "big picture", they need to survive.

This is a MANGEMENT problem, I'm afraid to say.....or "room for improvement", as it were.

I say do it, maybe if enough in congress hear about the shenanigans and incompetence of FAA, hopefully they’ll force some fixes the FAA is unable or unwilling to do.

Not very well, but the FAA has to be the bottom of the fish barrel

And that is obviously why the US has the most dangerous aviation system in the world with airplanes constantly falling out of the sky. I’m surprised any of us are still alive. Please write your congressman and tell them that the FAA needs to be disbanded and their responsibilities transferred to the TSA or some other shining example of efficiency.

And that is obviously why the US has the most dangerous aviation system in the world with airplanes constantly falling out of the sky. I’m surprised any of us are still alive. Please write your congressman and tell them that the FAA needs to be disbanded and their responsibilities transferred to the TSA or some other shining example of efficiency.

If more regulations made us more better Europe or China would be the capital of aviation.

What makes us safe isn’t government regulation, it’s the availability of training and the industry.

This is easily proven, if less regulations and less scienceless FAA standards made for a less safe aviation world, LSA and Basic med people should be falling from the sky.

Last edited:
HotMic, when did you file your paperwork? Mine went in August and I still haven't heard anything yet after 13 weeks. I am also a revenue airman looking for SI 1C (initial). My wait officially started in May with treatment and I was finally able to get a physical with my AME where my case was deferred - making it total 6 months of grounding.

I can't honestly describe the level of frustration I experience after every call every week with AMCD or RFS. "Under Review," nothing more nothing less.

I had my exam October 11th, the AME took their sweet time transmitting but it got “sent to a staff physician” on November 2nd. RFS believes they can get it reviewed and issued within 4-6 weeks of Nov 2nd, but AOPA said to expect more like 2-3 months and to get a congressional started after the 4-6 week mark.

I’ve been deferred before for an unrelated issue, and patiently waited for my 2C to be issued. This time, nobody thinks it should have been deferred, which is why I’m trying to get at least one set of eyes on it as soon as possible.

I had my exam October 11th, the AME took their sweet time transmitting but it got “sent to a staff physician” on November 2nd. RFS believes they can get it reviewed and issued within 4-6 weeks of Nov 2nd, but AOPA said to expect more like 2-3 months and to get a congressional started after the 4-6 week mark.

I’ve been deferred before for an unrelated issue, and patiently waited for my 2C to be issued. This time, nobody thinks it should have been deferred, which is why I’m trying to get at least one set of eyes on it as soon as possible.

I am doing mine through a union-contracted aviation medical advisory group and they are advertising at least 8-12 weeks (which I clearly went over already). My AME office actually told me to expect 120 days for 1C. I am sorry to hear that you are going through something that's not even necessary. Good luck.

If more regulations made us more better Europe or China would be the capital of aviation.

What makes us safe isn’t government regulation, it’s the availability of training and the industry.

This is easily proven, if less regulations and less scienceless FAA standards made for a less safe aviation world, LSA and Basic med people should be falling from the sky.
Just an observation to readers in general around here….Ever notice that fairly new people to the board don’t understand satire or sarcasm? That they immediately take umbrage with a variety of comments based on perceived position?

Just wondering.

HotMic, when did you file your paperwork? Mine went in August and I still haven't heard anything yet after 13 weeks. I am also a revenue airman looking for SI 1C (initial). My wait officially started in May with treatment and I was finally able to get a physical with my AME where my case was deferred - making it total 6 months of grounding.

I can't honestly describe the level of frustration I experience after every call every week with AMCD or RFS. "Under Review," nothing more nothing less.
You at least get phone calls answered! I’ve been arguing with the IRS for almost 2 years! Every communication (USPS letter by law) states “ we have 60 daysto respond to you”. Thr next deadline is Dec 4, 2021. On Dec 5, I will turn everything over to Congressional office.

You at least get phone calls answered! I’ve been arguing with the IRS for almost 2 years! Every communication (USPS letter by law) states “ we have 60 daysto respond to you”. Thr next deadline is Dec 4, 2021. On Dec 5, I will turn everything over to Congressional office.

It's quite an ordeal to talk to AMCD. I set my alarm 0859 so I can dial AMCD's number precisely when it turns 0900 (0800CST). Then I get to stay on hold for 15 minutes just to be told same thing I heard just last week. If I am late calling in even for 30 seconds past 0900 then I can basically kiss that day goodbye, no chance of connecting for the rest of the day.

Just an observation to readers in general around here….Ever notice that fairly new people to the board don’t understand satire or sarcasm? That they immediately take umbrage with a variety of comments based on perceived position?

Just wondering.

Nope. Never noticed it.

As an update, I spoke with the RFS regarding getting congressional involvement - the program analyst said not only is it our rights as citizens, but he highly recommends it. He said the FAA is not providing an effective service that our tax dollars pay for and should be held accountable by our government representatives, especially when it is causing individual and small business hardship. When asked if it would speed up the process, he said “absolutely, yes”.

I think we should get a campaign going for this analyst to run for Federal Air Surgeon.

Just wondering.

Ever notice how PoA veterans expect newcomers to magically know when we're being satirical or sarcastic?

Including a ;) might help.

...This is a MANGEMENT problem, I'm afraid to say.....or "room for improvement", as it were.
Is it possible that it could be a problem of inadequate funding for the workload?

Is it possible that it could be a problem of inadequate funding for the workload?

Unlikely.

FAA funding has gone up every year and workload has gone down (with Basicmed) greatly.

Just bad priorities and pet projects.

As an update, I spoke with the RFS regarding getting congressional involvement - the program analyst said not only is it our rights as citizens, but he highly recommends it.

Wow. I am not sure if I am surprised by his answer or saddened.

Ever notice that fairly new people to the board don’t understand satire or sarcasm? That they immediately take umbrage with a variety of comments based on perceived position?

... just what do you mean by that???!!! :mad3:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:biggrin:

BATFE-
9 months to a year to get a Form 4 back for a suppressor. E-file works for Form 1, why not for a Form 4?????? This is for legal firearms......a Constitutionally protected right.

IRS-
To verify your ID (previous ID theft) to get your tax return back, they provide a number to call should you not be able to verify online (which I couldn't). I tried, no joke, over 10 times to get someone at that number to be told (after a 2 minute recorded message) to call back tomorrow. Had to let an accountant handle it....and pay them to do it.

Paid our yearly 2290, and it clears the bank. Get a letter in the mail saying you didn't pay, so pay now or we will confiscate assets. Again, can't reach someone to rectify, so you have to go to the correct office to get in someone's.....anyone's face. Buuuuuuuuut, "you need an appointment, and here's the number." Guess what, you can't get anyone there to answer. So you just show up hoping they will work you in, which they actually do. Agentman: "Oh, yeah. I as an IRS employee got hung up on that number, not surprised you can't get anyone to answer. Whelp, lets see what we have here......oh, just an entry error (clickety clak).. All done." Took 10 seconds to fix for them, two 45 minute trips for us.

FAA-
SI medical that requires your congressman to light a fire under their butts to make them do their jobs..... so regular working folks who pay taxes can do theirs.

The government hates you.

As an update - I was issued an unrestricted Class 2 medical certificate yesterday, saw the update on the Airman Database and had the RFS email me a copy this morning. The date of review by the FAA physician means that it was looked at within 2 business days of the congressional inquiry being submitted.

Total time from exam to issue was 57 days. I’m very fortunate that my employer did not permanently replace me in that time. Based on the issuance letter, I still concur with the RFS and AOPA that I should not have been deferred. Time to find a new AME.

Thanks for all of the input, and I hope some day the FAA can fix this deferral nightmare that almost ruined my career.

BATFE-
9 months to a year to get a Form 4 back for a suppressor. E-file works for Form 1, why not for a Form 4??????.
The rumor is strong the e-Form 4 deploys in the next two weeks. Due to the differences for notification between F1 and F4, F1s will probably still be quicker but once the initial e-Form4 clears and the paper backlog dwindles away, I’d not be surprised to see e-F4 times much closer to e-F1s.

As an update - I was issued an unrestricted Class 2 medical certificate yesterday, saw the update on the Airman Database and had the RFS email me a copy this morning. The date of review by the FAA physician means that it was looked at within 2 business days of the congressional inquiry being submitted.

Total time from exam to issue was 57 days. I’m very fortunate that my employer did not permanently replace me in that time. Based on the issuance letter, I still concur with the RFS and AOPA that I should not have been deferred. Time to find a new AME.

Thanks for all of the input, and I hope some day the FAA can fix this deferral nightmare that almost ruined my career.

So despite what people who work in the HIMS industry say, congressional involvement made a positive difference. Good to know and thanks for the update!

So despite what people who work in the HIMS industry say, congressional involvement made a positive difference. Good to know and thanks for the update!
And delayed 3 other guys. Like I said FAA falling behind is a self fulfilling prophesy.

I am 33% of the flying capability of my company. We almost didn’t make it because of the huge loss of revenue because of my delay. Our monthly income as a company is similar to what some airline pilots make individually each month. My company shouldn’t have had to go under because the FAA is plugged up.

Admin delays suck but by the time someone becomes a revenue pilot they should well know the HIMS tripwires. Most should be easily avoidable.

transferred to the TSA or some other shining example of efficiency.

Everyone loves to complain about the TSA but there have been zero hijackings in the US since the TSA was created in November 2001. Hard to get better than 100%.

But your point is well taken. The US is pretty much the world leader in aviation. The FAA can't be that bad.

Last edited:
Then those other three should be calling their Congressional reps as well. Really, anyone who is waiting more than 30 days for FAA Aeromedical to make a decision should be calling their reps. That is how problems start to get fixed.

Great post. Bureaucracies are gonna do what they do. Since there is no market to force them to be responsive to customers, some other form of external pressure is necessary. Organizations react to incentives just like people.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back