Personal Locator Beacon (2021)

FPK1

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
FPK1
Found two threads on this, one over two years old the other eight years old. Perhaps better technology now...?

In case of emergency and you have to put the airplane down in the middle of nowhere, what Personal Locator Beacons do you carry and/or recommend and why? Looking for a pilot specific device, not needed for anything else (eg hiking, off roading, etc.)

I have an ACR Electronics ResQLink View PLB. I bought it to primarily to use on my boat in lieu of an EPIRB (maritime equivalent to an ELT) but I fly with it as well.

ResQLink™ View - ACR ARTEX

I don't think anything has changed on this front from two years ago. Two basic options:

Basic PLB: the ACR ResQLink family is popular and well-reviewed. Allows you to send a 406 MHz emergency distress signal that gets picked up by satellites and sends the SAR teams for you. You have to register it with NOAA, the batteries last 5 years, and it doesn't really do much else.

Satellite communications device: the Garmin inReach family is popular and well-reviewed. Basically acts as a text-message-and-GPS-only satellite phone. In addition to sending distress signals, can send various levels of tracking information and text messages to family and friends depending on what kind of subscription you get. Batteries have to be recharged regularly.

So, in short, if you really just want to send the cavalry when the **** hits the fan, get something like an ACR ResQLink, register it with NOAA, and replace it in 5 years when the battery dies. If you want to be able to tell friends and family where you are, and/or message them, and/or show a map on the screen, and don't mind keeping a battery charged and paying a subscription to do so, get a Garmin inReach.

I did some reading on these things a couple years ago, with a focus on backpacking but whit an eye on the perspective as a pilot and boater. the thing that jumped out to me was the different satellite network coverages...some better than others.

it seems the garmin inreach network was generally considered better than whatever the SPOT devices use.... but not absolutely.
The inreach systems were considered better because for the ability to actually communicate
while the PLB like from ACR where more of a sure bet get found anywhere quick kind of thing because of the dual satellite and radio beacons but lacked the utility to communicate.

I settled on getting an inreach full size if I ever bought one...for use backpacking and also for flying.

From what I've seen watching but not looking closely, is that not much has changed, except that ACR now seems to have a device on par with an inreach mini

Looking for a pilot specific device,
You'll find the ACR ResQLink series is used by a number of Part 135 operators that have a requirement. A number of GOM 135 ops put an ACR in the pilots vest and in each life raft.

Nothing much new. As Brad W mentioned, ACR came out with a satellite messenger (the Bivy Stick) that uses the same Iridium network as the InReach. Seems like the same thing as an InReach Mini.
A few other lesser known messangers are:
- Zoleo, but it doesn't have a tracking function which makes it a non-starter, at least for me.
- The Somewear Global Hotspot looks good as well. Similar to the InReach Mini and the Bivy Stick. Photos of it look very small. Likely does the same thing that the InReach Mini does, just depends on what you want from the tracking/messaging plans.
Spot has a two way messenger, I don't know anyone who uses it though. Garmin I think still leads this market.

For PLBs, ACR ResQLink is likely still your best best for just a button to bring out the helicopters as soon as possible.

I personally use a Garmin inreach every single time I fly. I turn it on and start tracking as soon as the engine starts. All of my flying partners use them as well. They are used for communication with people in town as well as between us when flying if we aren't in the plane. We all have each others tracking information so we can see where we all are (and ask for reports when people come back from flying cool places). I like the full sized version over the mini as I don't have to deal with my phone to read messages. Though to write them, the bluetooth-linked phone is much easier. I use the unlimited tracking plan so I don't have to worry about using up my satellite pings if I fly a lot one month.

I also own a ACR PLB. I hope to never have to use it, but it's there nonetheless.

My flying is in AK, almost exclusively far away from airports.

What happened to Kannad? They seem to have been bought out by Orolia and their PLBs discontinued.

Back