Thunderbolt 4 port questions...

Bell206

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Bell206
I’m I correct that the Thunderbolt 4 port transfer rate is higher than a USB-C?

Is there any real advantage with getting a laptop with Thunderports vs only USB-C if I do not transfer a lot of data at a time?

I’m upgrading my current Latitude Win 8.1 Pro to a Win 10/11 Pro laptop and some of them have the Thunderbolts installed. In order to connect all my current peripherals will need to also purchase a hub/dock which seems to depend on the type of port available. For reference, will be connecting 2x 1080 monitors plus other items.

Last edited:
I’m I correct that the Thunderport 4 transfer rate is higher than a USB-C?

Is there any real advantage with getting a laptop with Thunderports vs only USB-C if I do not transfer a lot of data at a time?

I’m upgrading my current Latitude Win 8.1 Pro to a Win 10/11 Pro laptop and some of them have the Thunderports installed. In order to connect all my current peripherals will need to also purchase a hub/dock which seems to depend on the type of port available. For reference, will be connecting 2x 1080 monitors plus other items.
Do you mean Thunderbolt?

If the port is spec'ed as Thunderbolt then it can also talk DisplayPort to a monitor and charging works both ways. You can charge the laptop via that port or the laptop can charge a device via that port. If it is not spec'ed as Thunderbolt, then those capabilities are hit-or-miss (more often a miss).

Do you mean Thunderbolt?
Yes its Thunderbolt. I changed the references.

So would you consider this a future-proof to go with the Thunderbolts? This will be my last "work" computer so I would prefer to make it usable for as long as possible. It was also the reason I waited for the Win 11 release to happen.

Thanks.

I run my laptop through a USB-C hub to run a 3440x1340 monitor, sound system, keyboard/mouse/webcam. I have never noticed any delay or lag even with high performance graphics. I don't transfer large amounts of data that often, but USB-C or Thunderbolt are really nice for this.

A decent hub with either USB-C or Thunderbolt should be fine. I would just make sure your hub has an ethernet port on it. Becoming rarer and rarer to get an ethernet port on a laptop.

So would you consider this a future-proof to go with the Thunderbolts? This will be my last "work" computer so I would prefer to make it usable for as long as possible. It was also the reason I waited for the Win 11 release to happen.
Depends on the laptop, how you intend to use it and whether you're going to get an equally capable monitor. It'd be nice to walk up to your monitor and plug one cable into your laptop to get power, monitor, network and peripherals all in one shot. Plus there will only be one power cord going from the monitor to the wall outlet. But if the laptop is just going to stay in one place all the time then it's not that big a deal. If you don't have a capable monitor then you won't get those features. If it's a 17" gaming/workstation monster then you won't be able to get enough power through the port.
I run my laptop through a USB-C hub to run a 3440x1340 monitor, sound system, keyboard/mouse/webcam. I have never noticed any delay or lag even with high performance graphics. I don't transfer large amounts of data that often, but USB-C or Thunderbolt are really nice for this.

A decent hub with either USB-C or Thunderbolt should be fine. I would just make sure your hub has an ethernet port on it. Becoming rarer and rarer to get an ethernet port on a laptop.
All Thunderbolt4 are USB-C but not all USB-C are Thunderbolt. As a matter of fact, the way the spec is written just about all the features in USB-C are optional. It is possible within the spec to have a brand new USB-C port that is less capable and has fewer features than a 5 year old USB-A port. Thunderbolt is in some ways just branding: if the port says "Thunderbolt4" then you are guaranteed a certain amount of features.

Depends on the laptop, how you intend to use it and whether you're going to get an equally capable monitor.
How would you define a “capable” monitor? I currently use 2x 1080 monitors with the heaviest work load being large vector and raster files with either Adobe or open source products.

And a 2nd question if I may, if I want to purchase a 3rd party hub or docking device I would need to ensure it is specifically spec’d to Thunderbolt vs USB-C to get the full potential of the port?

One of several laptops I’m looking at comes only with 2x Thunder 4 and 1x USB-C.

Appreciate the replies.

How would you define a “capable” monitor?
One that has can transmit power and receive display info via a USB-C/Thunderbolt port. i.e. one that can serve as a docking station.

Thunderbolt is 4x as fast IIRC. You can use basic usb-c devices in a thunderbolt port, but a thunderbolt device needs a thunderbolt port.

There is zero downside to getting the thunderbolt-port equipped laptop vs non.

The upside is the ability to use high-speed storage, networking, or very capable docks if you want. I do this with my computers. I also have an external thunderbolt to M.2 drive with a 2TB SSD in it which is as fast as if it were installed in the PC -- which I can use to move data between boxes.

The upside is the ability to use high-speed storage, networking, or very capable docks if you want.
I believe I'm sold on the Thunder 4 ports. Given I will need to connect this new laptop to my existing system (modem, 2x monitors, printer, NAS, misc USB peripherals to include portable storage) do you find one brand of dock/hub stands out with the Thunderbolt ports? I have used OWC, Dell, and Anker docks/hubs but see there are only a few Thunder 4 docks available at the moment with the OWC version on pre-buy status. Or should I wait until next year before deciding on a Thunder 4 dock? My current backup plan is to find/buy a basic USB-C dock/hub to get things connected until I decide on a permanent T4 dock. Thanks.

Back