MP and Scrappy landing at Osh now

Can't speak for the videos, but I understood he got the AWC the weekend of July 17, and spent the next week and a half flying off 40 hours and debugging things. He also blocked the N-number on flightaware.

I don’t think the videos are that far behind - unless they were really trying to hide it. On a recent video, Ron pans down to his phone (I think to show what time it is) you can see the date and it’s only a day or two before when the video was posted.

signed,
Dork

I don’t think the videos are that far behind - unless they were really trying to hide it. On a recent video, Ron pans down to his phone (I think to show what time it is) you can see the date and it’s only a day or two before when the video was posted.

Yea well YouTube doesn't work like that. They have probably hundreds of hours of video and when they edit and produce a posting although it's meant to be more or less chronological they can pick and paste from whatever they have to tell the story. Fact is, making one of those 20 minute clips can be a lot of work (or not) Some people just do a quick edit of what they recorded that day and post it other's get into doing a more elaborate production. I think Patey has a team of people plus his kids that work on the YT stuff.

Can't speak for the videos, but I understood he got the AWC the weekend of July 17, and spent the next week and a half flying off 40 hours and debugging things. He also blocked the N-number on flightaware.
I haven’t watched any of the videos on Scrappy. But I have no doubt that the man and team behind the project could perform 40 hours of test flying and bugsquishing in 10 days. If the plane flew well and they just wanted to fly off the hours, then it could be done in 3 or 4 summer days, but flying off the hours without testing or fixing anything doesn’t seem like the Patey style.

I haven’t watched any of the videos on Scrappy. But I have no doubt that the man and team behind the project could perform 40 hours of test flying and bugsquishing in 10 days. If the plane flew well and they just wanted to fly off the hours, then it could be done in 3 or 4 summer days, but flying off the hours without testing or fixing anything doesn’t seem like the Patey style.

With all of the custom stuff on Scrappy, doing a fly-off in 10 days is a monster effort. Fly it for 30 minutes, inspect everything that could kill you, fly it for an hour, inspect everything that could kill you, eventually expand the inspection interval to 5 then 10 hours. Doing it right is a huge effort, even if there are no squawks.

So has anyone actually seen it fly? No, I am not doubting it. But I still can't find an actual video of it in flight. Maybe I am searching wrong or its embedded deep into a video???

So has anyone actually seen it fly? No, I am not doubting it. But I still can't find an actual video of it in flight. Maybe I am searching wrong or its embedded deep into a video???
No. I suspect he will kick that video out next week.

With all of the custom stuff on Scrappy, doing a fly-off in 10 days is a monster effort. Fly it for 30 minutes, inspect everything that could kill you, fly it for an hour, inspect everything that could kill you, eventually expand the inspection interval to 5 then 10 hours. Doing it right is a huge effort, even if there are no squawks.
I agree that it’s a huge effort. I just think that, if anyone is capable of mounting that effort, it’s Patey. From what I know, he is the rare breed who has the necessary time, money, and focus.

I dunno why, this feels like a D move to me. Absent traffic, though... I guess no harm in ignoring the notam.
I saw a video of him talking to people after he landed. He said he tuned tower and didn't hear anything, as in zero traffic in VFR conditions with heavy rain throughout the area. He said he offered to fly south to fisk and come back in that way and simply asked if there was any chance he could get straight in instead. I don't think its much a D move considering the circumstances but that's me.

That weather had just moved through Oshkosh heading south, so I doubt there was many people attempting the Fisk arrival at that time.

I saw a video of him talking to people after he landed. He said he tuned tower and didn't hear anything, as in zero traffic in VFR conditions with heavy rain throughout the area. He said he offered to fly south to fisk and come back in that way and simply asked if there was any chance he could get straight in instead. I don't think its much a D move considering the circumstances but that's me.

yeah the "mother may i" approach resolves my initial feelings on the thing. :)

Cub?
The reported empty weight is nearly what the gross weight is on my Skywagon.

Understandable, but unlike a lot of people, he was able to go on record saying he screwed up and that he is learning from it. I'll give him props for that.

I found it a bit ironic that he had gotten in some kind of a disagreement with the insurance company underwriting Draco just a few days / weeks before the wreck. Seems they were not going to write coverage at a reasonable price if he did exhibition flights with Draco because it was too risky…he showed them!

I found it a bit ironic that he had gotten in some kind of a disagreement with the insurance company underwriting Draco just a few days / weeks before the wreck. Seems they were not going to write coverage at a reasonable price if he did exhibition flights with Draco because it was too risky…he showed them!

I would imagine it would be difficult to find insurance for Draco as the PLZ-104 Wilga was a type certificated airframe and so to take it into the experimental category it would "technically" be restricted to exhibition or research flights. A casual browse of YouTube would produce recorded evidence that maybe the rule isn't exactly being followed to the letter and also that the aircraft is being operated in higher than normal risk situations such as water skiing and having a couple of guys in wing suits hang off your wing tips. I would think he'd need to be self bonded for such things and hope that the rest of us aren't somehow absorbing the risk cost through our own insurance premiums. His YouTube and merch sales income could possibly generate enough to self insure his hobby. Maybe it does, I don't know.

I would imagine it would be difficult to find insurance for Draco as the PLZ-104 Wilga was a type certificated airframe and so to take it into the experimental category it would "technically" be restricted to exhibition or research flights. A casual browse of YouTube would produce recorded evidence that maybe the rule isn't exactly being followed to the letter and also that the aircraft is being operated in higher than normal risk situations such as water skiing and having a couple of guys in wing suits hang off your wing tips. I would think he'd need to be self bonded for such things and hope that the rest of us aren't somehow absorbing the risk cost through our own insurance premiums. His YouTube and merch sales income could possibly generate enough to self insure his hobby. Maybe it does, I don't know.

The “STOL culture” has absolutely had an effect on premiums that are being passed down to regular aircraft owners.

Back