MP and Scrappy landing at Osh now

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
Just heard Mike Patey call OSH coming out of Appleton asked if he could go direct to OSH. Rather than go all the way around. They told him to contact the tower so I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. There is no other traffic right now.

I just want to hear that io-720.

He was just skinning the wings 2 weeks ago. It seems unlikely that the wings got finished, the plane got test flown, and it flew off the 40 hours with no down time to make adjustments. I don't have the patience to watch those Youtube videos so I have no idea what that plane's status is but even for him that's a long way to go in 2 weeks.

My biggest curiosity about Scrappy is how much it weighs.

I believe the videos are delayed. My guess is he had it done several weeks ago.

My biggest curiosity about Scrappy is how much it weighs.
Let's see...
Big honken motor, a pile of flat screen TVs, more batteries than you can shake a stick at, solar panels, low rider suspension with enough shocks for two airplanes, O2, NOs, worlds biggest bush wheels, flaps and slats and craps... But covering it with carbon makes up for all that. :rolleyes:

Let's see...
Big honken motor, a pile of flat screen TVs, more batteries than you can shake a stick at, solar panels, low rider suspension with enough shocks for two airplanes, O2, NOs, worlds biggest bush wheels, flaps and slats and craps... But covering it with carbon makes up for all that. :rolleyes:

Actually, the carbon is heavy too. Fabric would have been lighter :)

I want to know what it weighs. My EXP Supercub isn't light so I'm looking forward to it being "relatively light!"

My old instructor used to say "Before you add something to your airplane? Hold it in your hand. Toss it up in the air. If it comes down? You don't want it in your airplane."

Let's see...

You can make anything fly, just give it more power. :D Just look at the F-4 Phantom!

Let's see...
It's light enough for 10 hours of endurance and has a useful load north of 3000 lbs. Plus he can run high draw 120 volt rescue equipment in the back country. The stohl performance should be equally impressive.

A lot of people ****ed all over the Rutans for years even though they were advancing aviation significantly.

Same thing with Mike Patey. There is no doubt some of the incredible ideas in Scrappy will be the impetus for future designers and builders.

It's light enough for 10 hours of endurance and has a useful load north of 3000 lbs. Plus he can run high draw 120 volt rescue equipment in the back country. The stohl performance should be equally impressive.

A lot of people ****ed all over the Rutans for years even though they were advancing aviation significantly.

Same thing with Mike Patey. There is no doubt some of the incredible ideas in Scrappy will be the impetus for future designers and builders.
I would like a closer look at that double slat arrangement

I don't know kind of fun to see what you can do when money isn't an issue.

Yes but its more than that. It’s built with a mixture of skills that you would be hard pressed to find. I doubt Mike could have found a shop that could have built this for him.

in another video I believe he said it came in just over 2400lbs. A lot of it’s quite over the top and I’ve kind of groan over some of the areas he’s adding a bunch of weight, but its his airplane.

in the first video or two he said it would have a higher power to weight ratio than Draco did. I think that goal went out the window. sSome of the interviews at Oshkosh he is saying it has a lower power to weight ratio and it needs more power. It doesn’t sound like the prop is going to work out long-term either.

I saw that video as well mentioned a fixed pitch prop that he was "working on things" or something like that.

Just heard Mike Patey call OSH coming out of Appleton asked if he could go direct to OSH. Rather than go all the way around. They told him to contact the tower so I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. There is no other traffic right now.

I dunno why, this feels like a D move to me. Absent traffic, though... I guess no harm in ignoring the notam.

I like seeing his engineering and skills at work. Exercise in exuberance. I could care less about meeting or knowing the guy but I do enjoy seeing his work.

I like seeing his engineering and skills at work. Exercise in exuberance. I could care less about meeting or knowing the guy but I do enjoy seeing his work.

The guy is smart and successful without a doubt, has done some really impressive stuff.

I still have trouble getting past the decision he made that totaled his last plane with his wife and best friend inside.

The guy is smart and successful without a doubt, has done some really impressive stuff.

I still have trouble getting past the decision he made that totaled his last plane with his wife and best friend inside.

Understandable, but unlike a lot of people, he was able to go on record saying he screwed up and that he is learning from it. I'll give him props for that.

The safest pilot is the one that never flys.

He screwed up and owned it. No excuses.

You should figure out how to get past it. One day you might have to do it for yourself, unless you quit flying.

The safest pilot is the one that never flys.

He screwed up and owned it. No excuses.

You should figure out how to get past it. One day you might have to do it for yourself, unless you quit flying.

Don't really need to get past it. I can assure you, I won't have to do it for myself because I don't do anything that stupid.

Agree... it's a bad a** creation...I'd love to have that

I believe the videos are at least a month if not two behind where he actually is.

On Monday afternoon I talked with a friend of the Patey's and he indicated that it was a toss up on if he would actually make it in. According to him Mike got COVID in early July and they shut everything down on the build and at Best Tugs to make sure they were ready for Oshkosh from a business standpoint. He had also apparently been moving the registration around some so people couldn't track him etc.

...I still have trouble getting past the decision he made that totaled his last plane with his wife and best friend inside.

Well FWIW Jimmy Doolittle did that to a brand new Lockheed Vega that Shell Oil gave him. Of course they just gave him another one, he didn't have to build anything out of scraps.

Well FWIW Jimmy Doolittle did that to a brand new Vega that Lockheed gave him. Of course they just gave him another one, he didn't have to build anything out of scraps.

Probably not with his wife and best friend in it I hope.

I believe the videos are at least a month if not two behind where he actually is.

On Monday afternoon I talked with a friend of the Patey's and he indicated that it was a toss up on if he would actually make it in. According to him Mike got COVID in early July and they shut everything down on the build and at Best Tugs to make sure they were ready for Oshkosh from a business standpoint. He had also apparently been moving the registration around some so people couldn't track him etc.

Can't speak for the videos, but I understood he got the AWC the weekend of July 17, and spent the next week and a half flying off 40 hours and debugging things. He also blocked the N-number on flightaware.

Back