What emergency supplies do you carry in your flight bag?

A hell of a lot less than have suffered severe consequences of heat stroke and could have used an ice pack. Just saying. Ask any police officer, fire fighter, or paramedic in Arizona (or nearly any state in the summer).
What’s your point? Just curious.

About guns, I recently called our friendly ATF folks since I will be carrying a few across about 9 states (driving). Their recommendations were to pack the handguns in a lockable safe and pack the ammo separate and not worry about it.

What’s your point? Just curious.
We are discussing the most useful things for an emergency kit. If a gun is not very useful, what does it matter if it is your "constitutional right" to have one? It is my constitutional right to carry a bag of concrete with me, and it would be useful in case I happen to get in a "Little Dutch Boy" scenario, but how many times do you find yourself needing to plug up a concrete dam with you finger? Not many, so the bag of concrete is just unnecessary weight, just a gun is in 99.999999% of cases. Henceforth, it is not a very good suggestion to put in an emergency kit.

Further, as posted in Federal Law, on many interstate trips, the gun must be carried secured, locked, and unloaded, far away from the passengers. Emergency supplies are often useless unless carried on a person or in immediate access.

We are discussing the most useful things for an emergency kit. If a gun is not very useful, what does it matter if it is your "constitutional right" to have one? It is my constitutional right to carry a bag of concrete with me, and it would be useful in case I happen to get in a "Little Dutch Boy" scenario, but how many times do you find yourself needing to plug up a concrete dam with you finger? Not many, so the bag of concrete is just unnecessary weight, just a gun is in 99.999999% of cases. Henceforth, it is not a very good suggestion to put in an emergency kit.

Further, as posted in Federal Law, on many interstate trips, the gun must be carried secured, locked, and unloaded, far away from the passengers. Emergency supplies are often useless unless carried on a person or in immediate access.
I get where you’re coming from, but keep in mind, a light handgun doesn’t weight more than a few ounces depending on the make and model, so as far as weight is concerned, it’s...not even a concern. Comparing it to a bag of concrete is just irrational. I’ll bet my Ruger LC9 weighs less than a lot of ice packs do. I’d much rather have a firearm and not need it, than be in need and not have it, but I can see we have a difference of opinion on the matter.

About guns, I recently called our friendly ATF folks since I will be carrying a few across about 9 states (driving). Their recommendations were to pack the handguns in a lockable safe and pack the ammo separate and not worry about it.

Yeah ... that makes it worthless if it's needed ...

I've investigated several non-fatal accidents in the sticks where the pilot had his gun in the plane. I've never had one where they needed a gun, but several have "disappeared" by the time they woke up in the hospital. I've even picked through the wrecks looking for them since they really really wanted it back(I never found one). I guess the fire rescue guys came up with a new piece.

And of those incidents, only a couple were lucid enough to actually use a gun if they needed to. Most either died or were totally incapacitated from the impact.

Do whatever makes you feel good. How many times have we discussed a parachute on a Cirrus? May never need it but it sure is priceless after a mid air or structural failure when you're spiraling towards eternity.

But you are correct that as an emergency item it would be useless unless it is carried, always secured, and within immediate access by the highly trained owner ...

Think of it like the Knapsack Problem. Max weight is fixed based on personal preference and/or useful load. Then fill your knapsack with whatever you want that stays under the weight/space limitations. Each person will choose his or her combinations of items.

Personally, I carry water and some snacks and if I know my flight is over unfriendly terrain I’ll bring duck tape, a small shelter wrap, cord, and a few other things. Each of our club planes includes a 1st aid kit, including a tourniquet.

NASA put together a list of 15 items as a thinking exercise that you would want to have on a specific lunar mission. The idea was to prioritize the items. One of the items is a 45 caliber handgun. In the “answer key” put together by the NASA folks, the gun was listed somewhere in the middle. Probably to fend off alien life forms.

You have a better chance of dying from heat stroke on a hot ramp than in a situation where a handgun is useful. Better to pack an instant cold pack for that 30 minute unexpected taxi in Phoenix, AZ.

It’s hardly an either/or choice. One can carry a defensive weapon and avoid heatstroke.

It’s hardly an either/or choice. One can carry a defensive weapon and avoid heatstroke.

A cold beer will take care of heat stroke, plus you can use the bottle as a weapon afterwards.

Yeah ... that makes it worthless if it's needed ...
Which you will never need to anyway.....
A cold beer will take care of heat stroke, plus you can use the bottle as a weapon afterwards.
It is a great idea and you also get to put a funny bright red sticker on it saying "Open in the event of emergency landing". That way you can show the Feds the bottle and sticker and rightfully claim that it was part of your emergency kit. Make it a twist-off and you can use the bottle to boil and carry water as well. It would be an actually useful item. Not like you couldn't also bend some thin aluminum into a pot, but maybe you are flying a rag and tube airplane....

PoA is spicy the last few days!

Weather is getting hot and people have been cooped up (more or less) for a year. Plus ammo and firearms been selling like hot cakes as well. At least the worse that can happen here is to send harmless zingers back and forth. Except for @eman1200 That guy scares me :D

Weather is getting hot and people have been cooped up (more or less) for a year. Plus ammo and firearms been selling like hot cakes as well. At least the worse that can happen here is to send harmless zingers back and forth. Except for @eman1200 That guy scares me :D

I’m fresh out of zingers for the day. Wait, there’s still 60 minutes left in the day!

Funny thing is, I carry in the plane more often than not in the plane. Because ‘Murica.

There's no way you can know that ...
Nope, but I do know that accidental discharges and accidental shootings happen all the time. There have been plenty of cops accidentally firing their weapons near kids. And they are “highly trained”. Plenty of cop kids who manage to find their gun and shoot themselves.

Even when people carry bear spray in an airplane, it is highly recommended that it is stored in an exterior compartment because you are much more likely to injure yourself from accidental discharge in the compartment than you are to actually have to use it, even when at your final destination.
  • From 2006-2016, almost 6,885 people in the U.S. died from unintentional shootings. In 2016 alone, there were 495 incidents of accidental firearm deaths.
    • Accidental gun deaths occur mainly to those under 25 years old. In 2014, 2,549 children (age 0-19) died by gunshot and an additional 13,576 were injured.
So my point is that why have an item that is more likely to cause either a breach of Federal Law, accidental injury or death, or just a waste of weight and space when thinking about the best things for an emergency kit. All you seem to add is the trope “it’s the Second Amendment”. If you want to prove to others that your gun is actually a useful addition to an emergency kit, then do so with reason, not just “it’s my right”.

I did not know I would come up with another thing to add to my kit, but to be serious, I think I will add a small instant chemical cold pack to my flight bag. We have all been in a plane that was way too hot, and having a way to cool off either the pilot or an important passenger (wife/child) seems like an important and cheap addition. Could easily save a flight, or at least just increase comfort for a measly $0.75.

Let's not get into a gun policy argument and get this perfectly useful thread locked with points awarded. If you carry a gun in your emergency kit, that's cool. If you choose not to, that's also cool. You all have the right to make that decision for yourselves. But nobody has the right to Spin Zone this thread.

Just an FYI, the CD doesn't need to be blank. anything from ABBA to Zappa will work. I also have a couple of items that would make it easy to start a fire although there have been lengthy times during the last two summers here in California when smoke wouldn't have been a particularly noticeable signaling medium.

Just an FYI, the CD doesn't need to be blank. anything from ABBA to Zappa will work. I also have a couple of items that would make it easy to start a fire although there have been lengthy times during the last two summers here in California when smoke wouldn't have been a particularly noticeable signaling medium.
I actually recently took the flares out of my "extended" survival kit.. it's value would be limited in an area already filled with smoke and I don't want to be THAT GUY who ends up starting a brush fire. With a PLB and signaling mirror you should be okay

American-Express-Gold-Card-in-Hand.jpg

CD and DVD discs twirling on a string in the breeze are effective critter deterrents. So are flares but where CDs are proactive and flares are reactive. At least 50% of my flying takes me to places where a big gun is a good idea so all the gun comments aren’t just cowboy posturing. A big handgun is easier to carry than a long gun but I’d always rather have the long gun for defense.

You guys all use 406 ELTs, right? A beacon registered to an airplane gets a different response than a PLB. At least that’s the case in Alaska. I have an Inreach for hiking and hunting. It tracks me, allows me to text, has a GPS map, and has a 406 emergency beacon. I have no use for a PLB.

Regarding ELTs..

The Paul B video below has some fairly grim stats on it. But like most of his videos the content is informative and amusing

Personally, I like the security of the PLB. I too have a moving map Garmin hiking/trekking GPS, but if I've got a busted leg or am bleeding out flipping on that PLB will be my most valuable asset

If I can’t carry in the state, I don’t need to go to that state.
Sometimes that decision is out of your hands. Like the guy whose flight was supposed to land in Pennsylvania but had to divert to NJ. He had a firearm in checked baggage. As soon as he picked up his bag at the Jersey airport, he was arrested. This was a 121 flight, but it could happen to anyone when the weather suddenly becomes IFR and you're VFR, or goes below minimums if you're IFR. The FOPA is treated like a joke. In Maryland, the cops making traffic stops will stop you if you're from a state, like FL, that respects the Constitution, and toss your car. If their computer says you have a CHP, you get extra special attention.

Sometimes that decision is out of your hands. Like the guy whose flight was supposed to land in Pennsylvania but had to divert to NJ. He had a firearm in checked baggage. As soon as he picked up his bag at the Jersey airport, he was arrested. This was a 121 flight, but it could happen to anyone when the weather suddenly becomes IFR and you're VFR, or goes below minimums if you're IFR. The FOPA is treated like a joke. In Maryland, the cops making traffic stops will stop you if you're from a state, like FL, that respects the Constitution, and toss your car. If their computer says you have a CHP, you get extra special attention.
Some gun guy always has to have the (first and) last word, so I will keep up with it as well.

Sounds like traveling with a loaded gun is a bad idea, if not illegal, and apart from those in grizzly country, not very useful. Nobody actually answered my question of "who has actually fired their weapon against another human being in self defense?". So I guess that answer is obvious.

Back to the topic, which I have always been including in every anti-gun post.

Part of Emergency kit is the items that will save your life, other "emergency" items allow you to get your AOG back in the air. Does anyone have a super light weight jack that can be carried to allow an owner to do a quick tire tube change on the ramp? With the weight capacity required for most small planes, there could be a simple aluminum screw jack that could be quite small and light. Does that exist? I looked around, but only found small bottle jacks and they are always pretty heavy.

All I’ll say on the gun thing is when was the last time any of you were searched in any way traveling between GA airports and walking through the FBO? One can always run to the bathroom and “reconfigure your bags”.

Back onto the subject at hand- I have MREs in my plane. More with the thought of being stuck at a podunk airport with no transport than being stranded in the wilderness but works for either. Also have a PLB, handheld radio, multi tool, and basic first aid kit.

I do carry USB battery banks but since I have usb charging from the plane those really end up being more useful to top a phone up while traveling than for anything else.

Regarding ELTs..

The Paul B video below has some fairly grim stats on it. But like most of his videos the content is informative and amusing

Personally, I like the security of the PLB. I too have a moving map Garmin hiking/trekking GPS, but if I've got a busted leg or am bleeding out flipping on that PLB will be my most valuable asset

Because 406s are registered to airplanes the RCC dispatch only happens after a distress signal has been validated. This is much different than 121.5s in the past. That false alarm stats in that video are misleading. These days nobody's coming for a 121.5 beacon. Nobody's getting dispatched for the 406 until they're pretty confident the emergency is real. If you have a 406 and it goes off the first response is you get a phone call. The cool thing about the call is they already know exactly where you are. In my case in parking at lake Hood. The second call would be to my wife, who can look at my location on the Spidertracks app. Likewise the Inreach provides the same location solution to my wife so if I trigger the beacon she can validate the position and report whether she received a text explaining the problem. No communication is the big fail of PLBs. Supplementing the beacon with communication is common sense. Since ELT's are automatically activated they provide location for recovery, not just rescue. That's a different topic.

Some gun guy always has to have the (first and) last word, so I will keep up with it as well.

Sounds like traveling with a loaded gun is a bad idea, if not illegal, and apart from those in grizzly country, not very useful. Nobody actually answered my question of "who has actually fired their weapon against another human being in self defense?". So I guess that answer is obvious.

Thankfully I didn't have to pull the trigger but having my Colt 1911 kept me from being robbed and maybe killed at midnight at the Elk Heights hwy 90 rest stop in WA state by three "gentleman" who wanted my wallet and jeep more than I did. The mere presence made them back off and the WA Trooper who arrived was very appreciative I hadn't shot them but no so more than me but if it had come to that I would have. They brought knives to a gun fight.

I carry my weapon everywhere, and I do travel in some states that don't have reciprocity with Texas. Have I ever needed it? No. But I've never needed my seat belts either, but I wear them on every trip also.

Yes - blank CD or DVD - great for signalling and less likely to break - Bear Grylls recommend

Forgot to add SunBlock

Attachments

• tumblr_lznq1fo7Tl1r8pxv5o4_250.gif
    tumblr_lznq1fo7Tl1r8pxv5o4_250.gif
    725 KB · Views: 12
When I started my Alaska trip I had enough to LIVE for a week. Not survive, but live before I started to have to go into hunter/gatherer mode. Tarps, -10 sleeping bag, bivvy, thermal blanket, 10 gallons of water in crash resistant jugs, rope, paracord, string, knives, fire starters+material, first aid, mirrors, compass, hatchet, axe, saw, 10 days worth of dehydrated food, water purifying equipment, cooking gear, fishing pole plus artificial baits, 12 ga shotgun with both birdshot and rifled slugs, sat phone, signaling mirror. There are items I am probably not thinking of but that's most of my standard fly-over-desolate-areas load out. I've got almost 600lbs of useful load after I top off and climb into the plane, might as well some of it to use.

For pretty much every other flight east of the Rockies money is all I need is a credit card and cash since I'm always within glide range of some sort of civilization.

I carry my weapon everywhere, and I do travel in some states that don't have reciprocity with Texas. Have I ever needed it? No. But I've never needed my seat belts either, but I wear them on every trip also.

You make an excellent point and it's the point I was after earlier when I noted that having a chute to pull on the way down if needed would be priceless!

I have many safety devices that I don't use often. One is a motorcycle helmet. After 36 years of riding with one there was a day I needed it and it did exactly what I needed it to do!

I honestly don't like answering questions concerning my use of a weapon (because it's not their business) but needless to say that among family, friends, and neighbors a weapon has been used a few times to prevent serious injury or possible death.

Where the argument falls apart for many is that inanimate objects do not animate themselves and cause the problems that are being blamed on them. I guess some folks have weapons that sneak out at night and do bad things but mine never have. :rolleyes:

Pilots train extensively (or should) to mitigate errors that cause injury and death to themselves and their passengers. I had motorcycle training to help me better understand how to be safe and survive when the going gets tough. Federal Firearms Instructors and other resources are available to teach the safe use of weapons. Like most tools they require good training from a competent instructor and regular practice.

Those that are afraid of firearms should not own one as it will hurt you. I also want to reiterate that I don't need the permission of anyone to use any means necessary to protect myself or my family as self preservation is part of the human design. That means I might use a firearm, a knife, club, brick, spitball, water balloon, etc.

water, gun, 2 credit cards. I think that should cover all eventualities in the desert southwest.

You make an excellent point and it's the point I was after earlier when I noted that having a chute to pull on the way down if needed would be priceless!

I have many safety devices that I don't use often. One is a motorcycle helmet. After 36 years of riding with one there was a day I needed it and it did exactly what I needed it to do!

I honestly don't like answering questions concerning my use of a weapon (because it's not their business) but needless to say that among family, friends, and neighbors a weapon has been used a few times to prevent serious injury or possible death.

Where the argument falls apart for many is that inanimate objects do not animate themselves and cause the problems that are being blamed on them. I guess some folks have weapons that sneak out at night and do bad things but mine never have. :rolleyes:

Pilots train extensively (or should) to mitigate errors that cause injury and death to themselves and their passengers. I had motorcycle training to help me better understand how to be safe and survive when the going gets tough. Federal Firearms Instructors and other resources are available to teach the safe use of weapons. Like most tools they require good training from a competent instructor and regular practice.

Those that are afraid of firearms should not own one as it will hurt you. I also want to reiterate that I don't need the permission of anyone to use any means necessary to protect myself or my family as self preservation is part of the human design. That means I might use a firearm, a knife, club, brick, spitball, water balloon, etc.
See, always have to have the last word to defend your pro-gun position.
water, gun, 2 credit cards. I think that should cover all eventualities in the desert southwest.
I still think that you would be much better off replacing the gun with a few instant cold packs when in the desert southwest. Or a granola bar, or PLB. Far more useful, if you crash in the desert. Unless you just want to end the shame of crashing once and for all.

See, always have to have the last word to defend your pro-gun position.

I wasn't talking to you nor is there anything to "defend". Leave it alone and give it a rest. We simply disagree and I'm OK with that.

The planes I fly have this
  1. “The minimum equipment during the summers months is: food for each occupant for one week; one axe or hatchet; one first aid kit; an assortment of fishing tackle such as hooks, flies, and sinkers; one knife; fire starter; one mosquito headnet for each occupant; and two signaling devices such as colored smoke bombs, pistol shells, etc. sealed in metal containers.
  2. In addition to the above, the following must be carried as minimum equipment from October 15 to April 1 of each year: one pair of snowshoes; one sleeping bag; one wool blanket for each occupant over four.”
I’ve also got a leatherman, a PLB, and a GRAYL water bottle with a built in filter which I really like. I wouldnt carry any of that crap thats required if it wasn’t…..required lol. In reality if you crash they will either be on you within a couple hours (if you have a PLB or 406ELT) or you will have been dead on impact or just after and never get to use any of your camping/dirty harry cosplay equipment either way.

Last edited:
Back