No Morse Code from my NAV, any way to do Check Ride?

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
I have everything on the plane ready for my instrument ride: paperwork, pitostatic check, Navigator database update, everything working except, I tried to get audio from a VOR today to hear the Morse code and all I got was high frequency static.

Is this an absolute no go for the checkride?

A little background, this plane has a non WAAS 420, so I will have to use the NAV on a Localizer for the precision approach and yes it does have a glideslope.

There are two in range and I tried both. Good point though. There is another that might be in range and if not it would be a short flight for it to be so. I wonder if it would behave differently on a Localizer which is what I’ll have to fly anyway.

I seem to remember "some" NAVs that you have to pull the volume knob out to filter out the hi freq noise.

Doesn't the 420 display the Morse code as text for you? Or is that only on later Garmin radios?

Doesn't the 420 display the Morse code as text for you? Or is that only on later Garmin radios?
The CNX80 would do it.

@MBDiagMan … also make sure the system you tuned into is operational. There are a few around our patch that are now offline and likely won’t be repaired any day soon.

UKW aka Bowie is one. But likely still to remain on charts since it’s a corner post for the DFW airspace and arrival system

Gruber,

I looked up the NAV122 manual and it does indeed require that you pull the volume knob to hear the identifier. Thanks a bunch for putting me onto that. The way the weather is going, it will probably be a week before I can fly again to test it.

Mike, The SLR and PRX VOR’s seem to be working well, but I haven’t checked the identifiers. Bonham will probably stay in service for awhile. If not I’m sure it will always be a waypoint.

Gruber,

I looked up the NAV122 manual and it does indeed require that you pull the volume knob to hear the identifier. Thanks a bunch for putting me onto that. The way the weather is going, it will probably be a week before I can fly again to test it.
Also remember to push the correct button on the audio panel to hear the dash and dits over the NAV radio channel.

And I fell ya on the recent weather patterns. Totally is cramping my plans to get my training flights done.

Didn’t get a chance to fly and test it this morning, but I turned on the NAV and the cockpit speaker so I could here it. Master on, engine off it makes high pitch squeal, probably several thousand KHz and when the ident is pulled it changes sound but the squeal remains. I am in the hangar so there’s no signal. An ious to try it in the air.

Cant imagine what the squeal is.

Didn’t get a chance to fly and test it this morning, but I turned on the NAV and the cockpit speaker so I could here it. Master on, engine off it makes high pitch squeal, probably several thousand KHz and when the ident is pulled it changes sound but the squeal remains. I am in the hangar so there’s no signal. An ious to try it in the air.

Cant imagine what the squeal is.
Sounds like a part going bad in the unit causing the audio amplifier to oscillate. Could also be miswiring of the audio panel causing feedback, but unless something has changed in the panel, that's highly unlikely.

Bonus question. Is it legit for you to log any of your ILS or VOR approaches you’ve done with that equipment? ;)

Interesting question. It was working perfectly before the 420 was put in and I’ve only flown one approach with it since getting the 420.

Sounds like a part going bad in the unit causing the audio amplifier to oscillate. Could also be miswiring of the audio panel causing feedback, but unless something has changed in the panel, that's highly unlikely.

Yes, it’s old enough that there could be a failing capacitor forming a rogue oscillator. It sounds like a constant frequency square wave though. Of course, something could be clipping it giving it the square wave sound.

Okay, after lots of bad weather I actually got to fly it this morning. Turning on the VOR and selecting it on the audio panel gives the square wave scream. When a VOR is being received I hear the Morse code plenty good enough to make it out. The DPE might get a headache from the squeal but I can identify the VOR or Localizer.

Last edited:
I was in the hangar today with the door closed. I turned on the Master and Avionics Masters to put a chec fuel timer in the 420. I noticed a light indicating a button pushed on the audio panel. It was the marker beacon tone button. Since I wasn’t picking up a VOR, I couldn’t see if the squeal went away, but when I fly it next I’m anxious to see if that was my squeal source.

“Das buttonich ist nicht gerfingerpokken unt mittengrabbin…”

Bonus question. Is it legit for you to log any of your ILS or VOR approaches you’ve done with that equipment? ;)

Great point! I’m gonna go out on a limb and answer according to what makes common sense rather than researching the FAR’s:

My approaches so far are for training purposes, not for currency. Once I am shooting approaches for currency, I believe everything will have to be 100% to legitimately log for proof of currency.

Recently completed some major panel/radio work and took he 'ol girl out for a spin to check the NAVs. Tuned in GEP and got nothing but static. DME didn't show anything either. Tuned in FCM and got static as well but DME was working but no Morse code to confirm.

"Crap", I thought, "I just spent 4 months redoing the panel and radios and now I'm going to have to spend more time chasing down bugs."

Turned back home to KANE. Winds were calm and requested to land 27 so I could check out the glideslope and LOC. Approached from the north and when I was about abeam the airport 15 miles out I started hearing the ID for the ILS. DME ID'd too. All was good and working properly.

Got home and checked the local NOTAMs. Both GEP and FCM were out of service. Sheeeeesh!

I guess the lesson here is "know before you go". Would have saved me a bit of heartburn.

I flew several hours under the hood yesterday and the first thing I did was check the station ID capability. Still some squeal but very usable. Of course when I got to the Localizer, I forgot to check the Morse code. My excuse is that it was bumpier than heck and I had my hands full just making it down the funnel. I was so preoccupied I forgot.

Back